* Exclamation mark not a postmatch ?
@ 2009-03-23  7:24 Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-23  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Today I just found out that the exclamation mark ('!') is not allowed as
postmatch in org-emphasis-regexp-components, but '?' is.  For example:

  This is *NOT BOLD*!

Is there any special reason behind this?  It seems to me that both '!'
and '?' are commonly used at the end of a sentence, and should be
treated similarly.

Am I missing anything (or do I have to customize variable
org-emphasis-regexp-components to support this)?  I tried to search the
mailing list archive about this, but could not find anything.

Thanks,
Baoqiu

* Re: Exclamation mark not a postmatch ?
@ 2009-03-23 11:36 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-03-23 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoqiu Cui; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

El dl, mar 23 2009, Baoqiu Cui va escriure:

> Am I missing anything (or do I have to customize variable
> org-emphasis-regexp-components to support this)?  I tried to search the
> mailing list archive about this, but could not find anything.

  I asked a similar thing but for quotations: http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg04267.html

  I think there are regular expressions in Emacs for „initial quotation sign“ and „final quotation sign“ which are generic and work for all possible signs. Since Unicode characters are classified and described, this generic detection should be possible without having to list all possible characters explicitly. There are many, for instance: « „ 「 ‘ “ ¿ ¡ etc.

  \s. in a regular expression already detects some punctuation characters (but not all). This or a better regexp could be part of org-emphasis-regexp-components

  I should in the book „Mastering regular expressions“ at which level are „Unicode properties“ implemented in Emacs, and how to access them.

-- Daniel

* Re: Exclamation mark not a postmatch ?
@ 2009-03-23 13:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoqiu Cui; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Baoqiu,

this is just an omission, fixed now.  Thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-23 17:59   ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

> El dl, mar 23 2009, Baoqiu Cui va escriure:
>
>> Am I missing anything (or do I have to customize variable
>> org-emphasis-regexp-components to support this)?  I tried to search the
>> mailing list archive about this, but could not find anything.
>>
>   I asked a similar thing but for quotations:
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg04267.html

Yes, I read about that thread.  The problem you reported has something
to do with Unicode support in Org mode, and Carsten was trying to limit
Org-mode in plain ASCII characters to avoid things becoming messier.

The current way of explicitly including the supported characters is
safer and cleaner, at least before Org-mode is enhanced to cover more
international languages.

Baoqiu

From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Baoqiu,this is just an omission, fixed now.  Thanks.- CarstenOn

Thanks for the quick fix!

Baoqiu

* Re: Re: Exclamation mark not a postmatch ?
@ 2009-03-23 19:50     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 23, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:

> Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> El dl, mar 23 2009, Baoqiu Cui va escriure:
>>
>>> Am I missing anything (or do I have to customize variable
>>> org-emphasis-regexp-components to support this)?  I tried to
>>> search the
>>> mailing list archive about this, but could not find anything.
>>>
>>  I asked a similar thing but for quotations:
>>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg04267.html
>
> Yes, I read about that thread.  The problem you reported has something
> to do with Unicode support in Org mode, and Carsten was trying to
> limit
> Org-mode in plain ASCII characters to avoid things becoming messier.

> The current way of explicitly including the supported characters is
> safer and cleaner, at least before Org-mode is enhanced to cover more
> international languages.

Let me clarify:

Org-mode should work fine with files containing text in any
encoding, including Asian languages and whatnot.  At least
this is what I aim for.

What you are referring to was a post where I said that I want the basic
syntax like todo keywords, tags, list bullets etc to be ASCII as much
as possible.

I would not mind to include a general class of open-quote and
close-quote characters into the character class in the emphasis
regular expression.  However, as far as I know, this is not
possible.  Syntax classes can do what Daniel wants, but only
partially.  However, syntax classes cannot be used in regular
expressions.  There are a few exceptions like [:digit:], but
quotes and parenthesis are not supported, and none of these
special [:classes:] are available in XEmacs.

I have read mastering regular expressions, and yes, in Perl, syntax
classes can be used in regular expression character classes.
Not so in Emacs - unless something has changed here.

- Carsten