From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com>, Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Exclamation mark not a postmatch ?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:50:45 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mar 23, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:

> Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> El dl, mar 23 2009, Baoqiu Cui va escriure:
>>
>>> Am I missing anything (or do I have to customize variable
>>> org-emphasis-regexp-components to support this)?  I tried to
>>> search the
>>> mailing list archive about this, but could not find anything.
>>>
>>  I asked a similar thing but for quotations:
>>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg04267.html
>
> Yes, I read about that thread.  The problem you reported has something
> to do with Unicode support in Org mode, and Carsten was trying to
> limit
> Org-mode in plain ASCII characters to avoid things becoming messier.

> The current way of explicitly including the supported characters is
> safer and cleaner, at least before Org-mode is enhanced to cover more
> international languages.

Let me clarify:

Org-mode should work fine with files containing text in any
encoding, including Asian languages and whatnot.  At least
this is what I aim for.

What you are referring to was a post where I said that I want the basic
syntax like todo keywords, tags, list bullets etc to be ASCII as much
as possible.

I would not mind to include a general class of open-quote and
close-quote characters into the character class in the emphasis
regular expression.  However, as far as I know, this is not
possible.  Syntax classes can do what Daniel wants, but only
partially.  However, syntax classes cannot be used in regular
expressions.  There are a few exceptions like [:digit:], but
quotes and parenthesis are not supported, and none of these
special [:classes:] are available in XEmacs.

I have read mastering regular expressions, and yes, in Perl, syntax
classes can be used in regular expression character classes.
Not so in Emacs - unless something has changed here.

- Carsten