* embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-28 13:29 Konstantin Antipin
From: Konstantin Antipin @ 2009-03-28 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-users,
Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
For example, I have following tags:
:tech:
    :emacs:
        :orgmode:
    :ubuntu:

:other:

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-30 11:09 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-03-30 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Antipin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:
  > Dear org-users,
  > Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
  > For example, I have following tags:
  > :tech:
  >  :emacs:
  >   :orgmode:
  >  :ubuntu:
  >
  > :other:

Could you please a little elaborate more on this?  Also please take a
look at variable "org-use-tag-inheritance".

--
Manish

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-30 14:29 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2009-03-30 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Konstantin Antipin <antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com> writes:
> Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
> For example, I have following tags:
> :tech:
>     :emacs:
>         :orgmode:
>     :ubuntu:
>
> :other:

No, tags cannot inherit from one another, but you can achieve a similar
effect by structuring your headings in the same fashion.  Org has tag
inheritance, but in this case it just means that a heading will inherit
the tags from its parent heading:

* Technology :tech:
** Emacs :emacs:
*** Org Mode :orgmode:
**** TODO Turn on tag inheritance

The TODO heading from above will have the following tags (if tag
inheritance is enabled):

 :tech:emacs:orgmode:

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-30 14:47   ` Konstantin Antipin
From: Konstantin Antipin @ 2009-03-30 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manish - thank you for the reply.

Here is what I want in details:
For example, I have following tags :tech: :firefox: :emacs: :orgmode:
In agenda I usually ask only for TODO with :tech: tags, in order to see
actions, related to technical stuff.

clearly, :firefox: and :emacs: are related to :tech: tag. It would be
convenient to introduce tag hierarchy:
every todo-item with :emacs: (or :firefox: ) tag only should show up in
agenda, when I query for :tech: tag.
I understand, that every time I assign :emacs: tag I can assign :tech: tag
as well, and this will do the work, but it is not convenient.

Is such mechanism exists?

My todo's are scatterd over the files, thus I can not use usual tag
hierarchy, that is controlled by, for example, "org-use-tag-inheritance".

thanks,
Kostya

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>wrote:

>   On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:
>  > Dear org-users,
>  > Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
>  > For example, I have following tags:
>  > :tech:
>  >  :emacs:
>  >   :orgmode:
>  >  :ubuntu:
>  >
>  > :other:
>
> Could you please a little elaborate more on this?  Also please take a
> look at variable "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>
> --
> Manish

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-30 16:25     ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-03-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Antipin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kostya!

I am still pretty new to emacs and org-mode, but from what I have read until
now...
Could you use the tag hook to automatically assign the :tech: tag along with
:firefox: and|or :emacs: etc...
This is still not exactly what you wished afaics, but it may make things a
little more convenient.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 16:47, Konstantin Antipin <
antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Manish - thank you for the reply.
>
> Here is what I want in details:
> For example, I have following tags :tech: :firefox: :emacs: :orgmode:
> In agenda I usually ask only for TODO with :tech: tags, in order to see
> actions, related to technical stuff.
>
> clearly, :firefox: and :emacs: are related to :tech: tag. It would be
> convenient to introduce tag hierarchy:
> every todo-item with :emacs: (or :firefox: ) tag only should show up in
> agenda, when I query for :tech: tag.
> I understand, that every time I assign :emacs: tag I can assign :tech: tag
> as well, and this will do the work, but it is not convenient.
>

> Is such mechanism exists?
>
> My todo's are scatterd over the files, thus I can not use usual tag
> hierarchy, that is controlled by, for example, "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>
> thanks,
> Kostya
>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>   On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:
>>  > Dear org-users,
>>  > Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
>>  > For example, I have following tags:
>>  > :tech:
>>  >  :emacs:
>>  >   :orgmode:
>>  >  :ubuntu:
>>  >
>>  > :other:
>>
>> Could you please a little elaborate more on this?  Also please take a
>> look at variable "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>>
>> --
>> Manish

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-31 21:25       ` Konstantin Antipin
From: Konstantin Antipin @ 2009-03-31 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Jones - thanks for the advise. Unfortunately it does not fit to
me, since I have my todo items in different files.

Eraldo - I was also thinking about this, but I thought that maybe
solution already exists...

Anyhow, for my it is fixed - I wrote a small package org-assoc-tags,
that allows to have key-tag and associated tags. For example:

(setq org-assoc-tags '(
		       ("emacs" "tech")
		       ("orgmode" "emacs" "tech")
		       ))

If you assign :emacs: tag, then :tech: will be assigned automatically.
If you assign :orgmode: tag, then both :emacs: and :tech: will be assigned.
The package can be found at: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/org-assoc-tags.el

Hopefully it might be helpful for someone,
Kostya

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> wrote:

> Hi Kostya!
>
> I am still pretty new to emacs and org-mode, but from what I have read until now...
> Could you use the tag hook to automatically assign the :tech: tag along with :firefox: and|or :emacs: etc...
> This is still not exactly what you wished afaics, but it may make things a little more convenient.
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 16:47, Konstantin Antipin <antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Manish - thank you for the reply.
>>
>> Here is what I want in details:
>> For example, I have following tags :tech: :firefox: :emacs: :orgmode:
>> In agenda I usually ask only for TODO with :tech: tags, in order to see actions, related to technical stuff.
>>
>> clearly, :firefox: and :emacs: are related to :tech: tag. It would be convenient to introduce tag hierarchy:
>> every todo-item with :emacs: (or :firefox: ) tag only should show up in agenda, when I query for :tech: tag.
>> I understand, that every time I assign :emacs: tag I can assign :tech: tag as well, and this will do the work, but it is not convenient.
>>

>> Is such mechanism exists?
>>
>> My todo's are scatterd over the files, thus I can not use usual tag hierarchy, that is controlled by, for example, "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>>
>> thanks,
>> Kostya
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:
>>>  > Dear org-users,
>>>  > Is there any way to make tags inherited from another tag?
>>>  > For example, I have following tags:
>>>  > :tech:
>>>  >  :emacs:
>>>  >   :orgmode:
>>>  >  :ubuntu:
>>>  >
>>>  > :other:
>>>
>>> Could you please a little elaborate more on this?  Also please take a
>>> look at variable "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Manish

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-31 22:15         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-03-31 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Antipin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Another possibility is to use your assoc tags and fix it on the search
side.  If you always have a custom search, you can use `( ... ,( ...
)) when you define it.

Then you only need one tag on each task.  The advantage of this is
that if the associations change, you will not need to change the tags.

Currently this requires concatenating strings, but in the future,
according to Carsten, there will be optional Lisp syntax for searches,
which will make it easier.  It might also allow stuff not currently
possible.

On 2009-03-31, Konstantin Antipin <antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Peter Jones - thanks for the advise. Unfortunately it does not fit to
> me, since I have my todo items in different files.
>
> Eraldo - I was also thinking about this, but I thought that maybe
> solution already exists...
>
> Anyhow, for my it is fixed - I wrote a small package org-assoc-tags,
> that allows to have key-tag and associated tags. For example:
>
> (setq org-assoc-tags '(
> 		       ("emacs" "tech")
> 		       ("orgmode" "emacs" "tech")
> 		       ))
>
> If you assign :emacs: tag, then :tech: will be assigned automatically.
> If you assign :orgmode: tag, then both :emacs: and :tech: will be assigned.
> The package can be found at:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/org-assoc-tags.el
>
> Hopefully it might be helpful for someone,
> Kostya
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kostya!
>>
>> I am still pretty new to emacs and org-mode, but from what I have read
>> until now...
>> Could you use the tag hook to automatically assign the :tech: tag along
>> with :firefox: and|or :emacs: etc...
>> This is still not exactly what you wished afaics, but it may make things a
>> little more convenient.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 16:47, Konstantin Antipin
>> <antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Manish - thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Here is what I want in details:
>>> For example, I have following tags :tech: :firefox: :emacs: :orgmode:
>>> In agenda I usually ask only for TODO with :tech: tags, in order to see
>>> actions, related to technical stuff.
>>>
>>> clearly, :firefox: and :emacs: are related to :tech: tag. It would be
>>> convenient to introduce tag hierarchy:
>>> every todo-item with :emacs: (or :firefox: ) tag only should show up in
>>> agenda, when I query for :tech: tag.
>>> I understand, that every time I assign :emacs: tag I can assign :tech:
>>> tag as well, and this will do the work, but it is not convenient.
>>>

>>> Is such mechanism exists?
>>>
>>> My todo's are scatterd over the files, thus I can not use usual tag
>>> hierarchy, that is controlled by, for example, "org-use-tag-inheritance".
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Kostya

Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering (worse than nearly all other
diseases studied; e.g. Schweitzer et al. 1995) and grossly corrupting
science.  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-03-31 23:43           ` Konstantin Antipin
From: Konstantin Antipin @ 2009-03-31 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel - Your solution is probably more elegant. Then I will wait for
search with lisp syntax functionality, and so far just use my code.

@ 2009-04-01 10:05             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-01 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Antipin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:43 AM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:

> Samuel - Your solution is probably more elegant. Then I will wait for
> search with lisp syntax functionality, and so far just use my code.

That would mean waiting a long time.  The discussion about the
lisp search was a long time ago, and nothing has happened.

Did I really say I was going to make this, Samuel?

- Carsten

From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-01 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Antipin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is an interesting hack, and it does solve what Eraldo was asking
for.

However, I also think that using the outline hierarchy to file things
properly, and in this way making use of the existing tag inheritance,
is a very good alternative, as described by Peter Jones and by Manish
earlier in this thread.

- Carsten

* Re: embedded/inherited tags
@ 2009-04-01 23:02               ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-01 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

On 2009-04-01, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did I really say I was going to make this, Samuel?

I'll let you decide.  :)

Carsten earlier wrote:
>  - Your proposal to use lisp syntax for agenda queries
>    (Sep 16) is high on my todo list and not forgotten.
>    Something I do want, but have not gotten around to.
-- from <77A37195-6E8E-4BEE-A05D-14B89A74904A@uva.nl> ,
   which has a few other items also.

Did I misinterpret?  Of course, I will not hold you to it
either way.  :) It seemed to me when I wrote to Konstantin
that the feature could be expected to happen at some point.
In any case, please accept my apology if that is a
misinterpretation, since I don't want to put words in your
mouth!

I described some of the benefits of the optional Lisp syntax
in
<20524da70809152215y55dccdd3sd62d299b893ce287@mail.gmail.com>
"Re: Searching for tags or todo keywords".  It's not a
critical feature, but it seems likely to solve the problem
in that thread (IIRC), and also help Konstantin a bit.  I
would find it easy to use.

However, the solution that I proposed to Konstantin can use
existing search syntax if he desires.

Hope that helps.

--

@ 2009-04-05 12:07                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 2, 2009, at 1:02 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On 2009-04-01, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did I really say I was going to make this, Samuel?
>
> I'll let you decide.  :)
>
> Carsten earlier wrote:
>> - Your proposal to use lisp syntax for agenda queries
>>   (Sep 16) is high on my todo list and not forgotten.
>>   Something I do want, but have not gotten around to.
> -- from <77A37195-6E8E-4BEE-A05D-14B89A74904A@uva.nl> ,
>   which has a few other items also.

Clear enough, looks like I did say this.  However, I have not
done an steps in this direction, and I have not seen a
really compelling case where this would ne needed.  Useful, yes.