* Html Export and Containers
@ 2009-09-18 13:52 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-09-18 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As part of my "Using org on Mobile Devices" worglet, I want to try and
explain how to use style sheets to present different formatting
depending on a mobile device.

However, I can't find any documentation about org's default export
format, in terms of how the html is contained in divs, etc. There was a
disussion a while back at
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11661.html , but I
can find anything in the org manual.

If the documentation doesn't exist and someone can point me at the
relevant bit of lisp code where it's defined, I promise to submit a
patch documenting it:)

Ian.

* Re: Html Export and Containers
@ 2009-09-18 14:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Ian Barton wrote:

> As part of my "Using org on Mobile Devices" worglet, I want to try
> and explain how to use style sheets to present different formatting
> depending on a mobile device.
>
> However, I can't find any documentation about org's default export
> format, in terms of how the html is contained in divs, etc. There
> was a disussion a while back at http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11661.html
>  , but I can find anything in the org manual.
>
> If the documentation doesn't exist and someone can point me at the
> relevant bit of lisp code where it's defined, I promise to submit a
> patch documenting it:)

Hi Ian,

the lisp code is in org-html.el, but it may be hard to find the
relevant pieces.

Maybe the easiest is to make a file with all elements you care
about, export it and look at the resulting html.....

Otherwise, I think that Sebastian Rose has the best overview over the
HTML
used by Org export.

- Carsten

* Re: Html Export and Containers
@ 2009-09-18 17:45   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-18 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> As part of my "Using org on Mobile Devices" worglet, I want to try and explain
>> how to use style sheets to present different formatting  depending on a mobile
>> device.
>>
>> However, I can't find any documentation about org's default export format, in
>> terms of how the html is contained in divs, etc. There  was a disussion a
>> while back at http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11661.html
>> , but I can find anything in the org manual.
>>
>> If the documentation doesn't exist and someone can point me at the relevant
>> bit of lisp code where it's defined, I promise to submit a  patch documenting
>> it:)
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> the lisp code is in org-html.el, but it may be hard to find the relevant pieces.
>
> Maybe the easiest is to make a file with all elements you care
> about, export it and look at the resulting html.....

Yes, it's quite self-explanatory.

After removing all text content, you'll stay with the bare XHTML and
everything should be obvious.

This is the skeleton of a basic file without the information not needed
like styles, JavaScript. I indented the text for readability. But note,
that the contents of such a file vary a lot, depending on the export
options and the files contents:

What is `stable' between several exports, is the nesting and the names
of the main containers (replace X with depth of the nesting and ID with
the section number):

  * body
  * content
  * title
  * div id="outline-container-ID" class="outline-X"
  * h1, h2 ...
  * div class="outline-text-ID" id="text-X"

Some containers might or might not exist. E.g. the

  * div id="postamble"
  * div id="table-of-contents" (could be placed virtually anywhere)
  * etc.

  Sebastian

* Re: Html Export and Containers
@ 2009-09-18 18:50     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-18 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
>>
>>> As part of my "Using org on Mobile Devices" worglet, I want to try and explain
>>> how to use style sheets to present different formatting  depending on a mobile
>>> device.
>>>
>>> However, I can't find any documentation about org's default export format, in
>>> terms of how the html is contained in divs, etc. There  was a disussion a
>>> while back at http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11661.html
>>> , but I can find anything in the org manual.
>>>
>>> If the documentation doesn't exist and someone can point me at the relevant
>>> bit of lisp code where it's defined, I promise to submit a  patch documenting
>>> it:)
>>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> the lisp code is in org-html.el, but it may be hard to find the relevant pieces.
>>
>> Maybe the easiest is to make a file with all elements you care
>> about, export it and look at the resulting html.....
>

> Yes, it's quite self-explanatory.
>

> After removing all text content, you'll stay with the bare XHTML and
> everything should be obvious.
>

> This is the skeleton of a basic file without the information not needed
> like styles, JavaScript. I indented the text for readability. But note,
> that the contents of such a file vary a lot, depending on the export
> options and the files contents:

Hrrrmmhrm, second try, now as attachment...

  Sebastian

[-- Attachment #2: org-export-structure.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 6209 bytes --]

* Re: Html Export and Containers
@ 2009-09-19  6:46     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-09-19  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

>>> As part of my "Using org on Mobile Devices" worglet, I want to try and explain
>>> how to use style sheets to present different formatting  depending on a mobile
>>> device.
>>>
>>> However, I can't find any documentation about org's default export format, in
>>> terms of how the html is contained in divs, etc. There  was a disussion a
>>> while back at http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11661.html
>>> , but I can find anything in the org manual.
>>>
>>> If the documentation doesn't exist and someone can point me at the relevant
>>> bit of lisp code where it's defined, I promise to submit a  patch documenting
>>> it:)
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> the lisp code is in org-html.el, but it may be hard to find the relevant pieces.
>>
>> Maybe the easiest is to make a file with all elements you care
>> about, export it and look at the resulting html.....
>

> Yes, it's quite self-explanatory.
>

> After removing all text content, you'll stay with the bare XHTML and
> everything should be obvious.
>

> This is the skeleton of a basic file without the information not needed
> like styles, JavaScript. I indented the text for readability. But note,
> that the contents of such a file vary a lot, depending on the export
> options and the files contents:

>   example-org-export
>

>     Table of Contents
>
>     * 1 One <#sec-1>
>     * 2 Two <#sec-2>
>           o 2.1 Example <#sec-2.1>
>     * 3 A task <#sec-3>
>     * 4 A done task <#sec-4>
>

>     1 One    vogonian
>
> ;; A code comment here.
>

>     2 Two
>
> Content of `Two.
>

>       2.1 Example
>
>     This was done using begin_quote .
>

>     3 TODO A task
>
> Content of `A task'.
>

>     4 DONE A done task
>
> CLOSED: 2009-09-18 Fr 19:29
>
> Content of a done task.
>
> Author: Arthur Dent <arthur_dent@hartofgold.cos>
> <mailto:arthur_dent@hartofgold.cos>
>
> Date: 2009-09-18 19:33:45 CEST
>
> HTML generated by org-mode 6.30trans in emacs 23

> What is `stable' between several exports, is the nesting and the names
> of the main containers (replace X with depth of the nesting and ID with
> the section number):
>
>   * body
>   * content
>   * title
>   * div id="outline-container-ID" class="outline-X"
>   * h1, h2 ...
>   * div class="outline-text-ID" id="text-X"
>
> Some containers might or might not exist. E.g. the
>
>   * div id="postamble"
>   * div id="table-of-contents" (could be placed virtually anywhere)
>   * etc.

Thanks. I think I should also provide an example .emacs showing basic
customization options. The layout I am hoping to achieve is a single
column, with TOC at the top. Whilst not necessarily pretty this should
be viewable without horizontal scrolling.

I have re-used some php from MythTV's web interface that does a good job
of detecting mobile browsers and serves up the page with approprriate
style sheet. I am hoping that this will let people build a single site
that works on both desktop and mobile devices.

Ian.