* A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-06 12:49 Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org-mode 8.2.10. Suppose we have this:

* TODO Task1 [0/1]
SCHEDULED: <2015-08-09 Sun>
- [ ] Buy bread
* FUTURE Task2

Now, if we do C-/ T and give TODO for the keyword, then we correctly get:

* TODO Task1 [0/1]...

However, if we press Tab on this line, then the whole content, including
next headline (the one marked FUTURE) shows up, which seems to be wrong.

I tried to add this into my config:

;; Control sparse tree
(setq org-show-following-headline nil)
(setq org-show-siblings nil)
(setq org-show-entry-blow nil)

This did not fix the problem.

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-11 13:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using org-mode 8.2.10. Suppose we have this:
>
> * TODO Task1 [0/1]
> SCHEDULED: <2015-08-09 Sun>
> - [ ] Buy bread
> * FUTURE Task2
>
> Now, if we do C-/ T and give TODO for the keyword, then we correctly get:
>
> * TODO Task1 [0/1]...
>
> However, if we press Tab on this line, then the whole content, including
> next headline (the one marked FUTURE) shows up, which seems to be
> wrong.

This is to be expected. TAB discloses the entry and all children. It
also leaves the entry in an editable state. What you suggest gives

  * TODO Task1 [0/1]
  SCHEDULED: <2015-08-09 Sun>
  - [ ] Buy bread...

which means 1. that you can't reach Task2 easily, 2. that you can't edit
plain list comfortably.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-11 19:16   ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-11 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg, emacs-orgmode

I do not quite understand. You wrote: "TAB discloses the entry and all
children. It also leaves the entry in an editable state." However, Task2 is
not a child of the entry being disclosed (Task1). Furthermore, by
constructing the sparse tree, I am telling org-mode that I am only
interested to see the sub-trees under the tasks marked as TODO!

@ 2015-08-11 22:56     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-11 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> I do not quite understand. You wrote: "TAB discloses the entry and all
> children. It also leaves the entry in an editable state." However, Task2 is
> not a child of the entry being disclosed (Task1).

I explained why hiding Task2 leaves entry in an uncomfortable state,
where you could edit near ellipsis.

> Furthermore, by constructing the sparse tree, I am telling org-mode
> that I am only interested to see the sub-trees under the tasks marked
> as TODO!

TAB ignores you want to keep a sparse tree. Note that it is also used to
get out of parse trees, i.e., get a normal view again.

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-12  8:25       ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg, emacs-orgmode

Is there an alternative to TAB when I want to work only with the sparse
tree and all the other entries only distract me? If not, can I somehow open
the sparse tree in a separate buffer?

@ 2015-08-12 13:03         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there an alternative to TAB when I want to work only with the sparse
> tree and all the other entries only distract me?

With Org 8.3, you can use (untested)

  (save-excursion
    (forward-line)
    (unless (org-at-heading-p) (org-show-set-visibility 'minimal)))

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-18 15:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2015-08-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Meir,

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> Now, if we do C-/ T and give TODO for the keyword, then we correctly
> get:
>
> * TODO Task1 [0/1]...
>
> However, if we press Tab on this line, then the whole content,
> including next headline (the one marked FUTURE) shows up, which seems
> to be wrong.

I cannot reproduce this problem here with Org 8.3.1.

Can you upgrade and try again?

Please be aware of this changelog when upgrading:

  *** New variable to control visibility when revealing a location

  org-show-following-heading, org-show-siblings, org-show-entry-below
  and org-show-hierarchy-above no longer exist.  Instead, visibility is
  controlled through a single variable: org-show-context-detail, which
  see.

 Bastien

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-23 15:26   ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am running on 8.3.1 and am getting the same behavior. In fact, when I run
on the simple example from my original message, the heading marked FUTURE
does not get hidden to start with. BTW, that message had a typo. The keys I
press are: C-c / T.

@ 2015-08-23 22:30     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-23 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running on 8.3.1 and am getting the same behavior. In fact, when I run
> on the simple example from my original message, the heading marked FUTURE
> does not get hidden to start with.

Top level headlines are never hidden.

Admittedly, this defeats the purpose of a sparse tree if all the
information you need to filter out is located in such constructs.
However, hiding them would make a view from which it would be difficult
to recover from.

* Re: A bug with expanding headlines of the sparse tree?
@ 2015-08-24  7:34       ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg, Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Why not just have a command to exit the sparse tree mode?

@ 2015-08-27 18:18         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> Why not just have a command to exit the sparse tree mode?

There is no sparse tree mode so there is nothing to exit from. A sparse
tree is just a special folding. You can always unfold globally using
S-TAB, tho.

Anyway, I have the gut feeling that hiding top level headlines just
won't cut it. Perhaps a mock-up would help.