* Question about citation formatting
@ 2024-03-27  3:17 Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2024-03-27  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org users,

This is my second paper I am formatting with the new citation framework,
this time using csl for the first time, since basic does not fit the
bill anymore.

This paper is discussing and comparing translations to the same text. So
when I mention publications in the text, I want to have the keyword to
be the translator, rather than the author.

Here is the entry bibliography:

---------test.bib------------------

@book{dogenMoonDewdrop1985,
   title = {Moon in a Dewdrop},
   author = {Dōgen},
   year = {1985},
   publisher = {{San Francisco : North Point Press}},
   isbn = {978-0-86547-186-3},
   language = {eng},
   translator = {Tanahashi, Kazuaki}
}

The org file looks like this:

--------test.org--------------

#+TITLE: Translation test
# #+cite_export: basic author-year author
#+cite_export: csl /home/chris/src/org-mode/etc/csl/chicago-author-date.csl
#+bibliography: test.bib

In [cite: @dogenMoonDewdrop1985 p37] there is a different translation:
* References
#+print_bibliography:

-------------------------------

and the resulting export, in this case to a buffer, looks like this:

--------------------

                           ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                             TRANSLATION TEST
                           ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

In (Dōgen 1985, 37) there is a different translation:

References
══════════

   Dōgen, 1200-1253. 1985. /Moon in a Dewdrop/. Translated by Kazuaki
   Tanahashi. San Francisco : North Point Press.

--------------------------------------

What I would like to see is instead:

"In (Tanahashi 1985, 37) there is a different translation:"

in the running text.

Has anybody an idea of how to achieve this?

Any help appreciated,

Christian

* Re: Question about citation formatting
@ 2024-03-27 20:03 ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2024-03-27 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Wittern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 at 04:17, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:

> This paper is discussing and comparing translations to the same text. So
> when I mention publications in the text, I want to have the keyword to
> be the translator, rather than the author.

I think your best bet is modifying (the citation part of) the CSL
style you are using. The format is well documented (see
https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html) and
there is even an online visual CSL editor
(https://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/).

best wishes,
András

* Re: Question about citation formatting
@ 2024-03-27 22:39 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2024-03-27 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Wittern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, March 26th, 2024 at 23:17, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:

> This paper is discussing and comparing translations to the same text. So
> when I mention publications in the text, I want to have the keyword to
> be the translator, rather than the author.

You could do the citations by hand, the old-fashioned way!  But that doesn't use the full power of Org.

You could trick the system if you had a bib file where every book had two keys, for example @dogenMoonDewdrop1985 and @t_dogenMoonDewdrop1985.  The t_ entries are used for citations in the text, and you've set the translator's name as author so they show the way you want.  Their data is copied from the real bib entry, but can be kept simple because only author-date is used.  The real bib entries all have some keyword in them (such as "use_this") and you use "#+print_bibliography: :keyword use_this" to print the references.  This means if you edit a source's metadata you might need to do it in two places, but it would let you think, "Do I want to cite by translator or author here?"

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: Question about citation formatting
@ 2024-03-28  6:39 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-03-28  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwittern, Org Mode List