From: William Denton <william@williamdenton.org>
To: Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Question about citation formatting
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:39:31 +0000	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, March 26th, 2024 at 23:17, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:

> This paper is discussing and comparing translations to the same text. So
> when I mention publications in the text, I want to have the keyword to
> be the translator, rather than the author.

You could do the citations by hand, the old-fashioned way!  But that doesn't use the full power of Org.

You could trick the system if you had a bib file where every book had two keys, for example @dogenMoonDewdrop1985 and @t_dogenMoonDewdrop1985.  The t_ entries are used for citations in the text, and you've set the translator's name as author so they show the way you want.  Their data is copied from the real bib entry, but can be kept simple because only author-date is used.  The real bib entries all have some keyword in them (such as "use_this") and you use "#+print_bibliography: :keyword use_this" to print the references.  This means if you edit a source's metadata you might need to do it in two places, but it would let you think, "Do I want to cite by translator or author here?"

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/