* access a let* value whe ndefining a function?
@ 2018-10-23 17:40 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-10-23 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey, I guess this is OT.

I'm trying to advice org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize so that it returns to the
org buffer when its done. I want to do something like this:

(let ((thisbuffer (current-buffer))
 (advice-add
     'mu4e-sent-handler
     :after (lambda (docid props)
              (switch-to-buffer thisbuffer)
              (advice-remove 'mu4e-sent-handler 'om-sent-advice)
              ) '((name . 'om-sent-advice)))

but by the time the hook is run, the (let) has long since lapsed, and
thisbuffer is no longer defined. Can I force evaluation of the variable
during definition?

* Re: access a let* value whe ndefining a function?
@ 2018-10-23 18:31 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-10-23 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: org-mode-email

I think that what you really want to do here is modify org-mime-compose so
that you can use the send-actions argument to message-mail. In
scimax-email.el I use that to be able to turn an org-heading into an email,
send it, and then jump back to the heading to insert some information about
the email into the heading properties after it is sent. A lot of the
information gets passed via global variables. Maybe there is a better way
to do that, I wrote that code a long time ago.

Otherwise, you need to figure out how to use something like a macro that
captures the current-buffer and creates a lambda function with that
information in it, and attaches it to the message-buffer hook somehow. For
example this will display a message-box for me after the message is sent.

(let ((f `(lambda ()
    (message-box "Came from %s" ,(current-buffer)))))
  (message-mail)
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))

Some important notes is this hook is added in local mode, so it only
affects that email buffer.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2018-10-23 19:38   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-10-23 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> I think that what you really want to do here is modify org-mime-compose so
> that you can use the send-actions argument to message-mail. In
> scimax-email.el I use that to be able to turn an org-heading into an email,
> send it, and then jump back to the heading to insert some information about
> the email into the heading properties after it is sent. A lot of the
> information gets passed via global variables. Maybe there is a better way
> to do that, I wrote that code a long time ago.

I'm trying to use mu4e~compose-mail instead of message-compose, I guess
mostly because I want to be able to use the mu4e email address completion
features in the `To:` header.  And it wouldalso be nice to save the email
to the appropriate mu folder.   But I didn't seem to be able to make mu4e
bounce back to my buffer no matter what I do, and though mu4e~compose-mail
accepts a return-action argument it doesn't actually use it :-(.

> Otherwise, you need to figure out how to use something like a macro that
> captures the current-buffer and creates a lambda function with that
> information in it, and attaches it to the message-buffer hook somehow. For
> example this will display a message-box for me after the message is sent.
>
> (let ((f `(lambda ()
>     (message-box "Came from %s" ,(current-buffer)))))
>   (message-mail)
>   (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))
>
> Some important notes is this hook is added in local mode, so it only
> affects that email buffer.

Can you explain to me what yo umean by "added in local mode" -- how is that
achieved?

Meanwhile, htis is what I've done and it seems to work:

(eval (car (read-from-string
            (concat
             "(advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer  :after
                            (lambda ()
                              (switch-to-buffer
                               (get-buffer \""
             (buffer-name)
             "\" ))
                              (advice-remove
'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer \"om-temp-advice\"))
                            '((name . \"om-temp-advice\")))"))))

seems a little baroque. Maybe what you have there is way better.  I don't
really undertand backquotes and leading ocmmas even now.

@ 2018-10-23 20:05     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-10-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that what you really want to do here is modify org-mime-compose
>> so that you can use the send-actions argument to message-mail. In
>> scimax-email.el I use that to be able to turn an org-heading into an email,
>> send it, and then jump back to the heading to insert some information about
>> the email into the heading properties after it is sent. A lot of the
>> information gets passed via global variables. Maybe there is a better way
>> to do that, I wrote that code a long time ago.
>>

> I'm trying to use mu4e~compose-mail instead of message-compose, I guess
> mostly because I want to be able to use the mu4e email address completion
> features in the `To:` header.  And it wouldalso be nice to save the email
> to the appropriate mu folder.   But I didn't seem to be able to make mu4e
> bounce back to my buffer no matter what I do, and though mu4e~compose-mail
> accepts a return-action argument it doesn't actually use it :-(.
>

>> Otherwise, you need to figure out how to use something like a macro that
>> captures the current-buffer and creates a lambda function with that
>> information in it, and attaches it to the message-buffer hook somehow. For
>> example this will display a message-box for me after the message is sent.
>>
>> (let ((f `(lambda ()
>>     (message-box "Came from %s" ,(current-buffer)))))
>>   (message-mail)
>>   (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))
>>
>> Some important notes is this hook is added in local mode, so it only
>> affects that email buffer.
>>

> Can you explain to me what yo umean by "added in local mode" -- how is
> that achieved?
>
> Meanwhile, htis is what I've done and it seems to work:
>
> (eval (car (read-from-string
>             (concat
>              "(advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer  :after
>                             (lambda ()
>                               (switch-to-buffer
>                                (get-buffer \""
>              (buffer-name)
>              "\" ))
>                               (advice-remove
> 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer \"om-temp-advice\"))
>                             '((name . \"om-temp-advice\")))"))))
>
> seems a little baroque. Maybe what you have there is way better.  I don't
> really undertand backquotes and leading ocmmas even now.
>

> I'd think this owuld be equivalent but the advice removal isn't working:
(advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer :after
                (eval
                 `(lambda ()
                    (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer ,(buffer-name) ))
                    (advice-remove 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer
"om-temp-advice")
                    '((name . "om-temp-advice")  ))))

the naming isn't being carried out succesfully.  I guess the regular
quoting works differnely inside a backquote or osmething?

@ 2018-10-23 20:34     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-10-23 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that what you really want to do here is modify org-mime-compose so
>> that you can use the send-actions argument to message-mail. In
>> scimax-email.el I use that to be able to turn an org-heading into an email,
>> send it, and then jump back to the heading to insert some information about
>> the email into the heading properties after it is sent. A lot of the
>> information gets passed via global variables. Maybe there is a better way
>> to do that, I wrote that code a long time ago.
>>

> I'm trying to use mu4e~compose-mail instead of message-compose, I guess
> mostly because I want to be able to use the mu4e email address completion
> features in the `To:` header.  And it wouldalso be nice to save the email
> to the appropriate mu folder.   But I didn't seem to be able to make mu4e
> bounce back to my buffer no matter what I do, and though mu4e~compose-mail
> accepts a return-action argument it doesn't actually use it :-(.

This is kind of tricky. Here is an approach that seems to work:

(defun my-compose ()
 (interactive)
 (mu4e~compose-mail)
 (advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer :after
	     `(lambda ()
		(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer ,(buffer-name) ))
		(advice-remove 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer "om-temp-advice"))
	     '((name . "om-temp-advice"))))

You just call M-x my-compose to get this behavior. I guess you could
advise mu4e~compose too to add the advice.

It seems necessary to use a temporary advice here. I wasn't aware of the
name way of removing advice, that is pretty nice here, since we use a
changing anonymous function.

>> Otherwise, you need to figure out how to use something like a macro that
>> captures the current-buffer and creates a lambda function with that
>> information in it, and attaches it to the message-buffer hook somehow. For
>> example this will display a message-box for me after the message is sent.
>>
>> (let ((f `(lambda ()
>>     (message-box "Came from %s" ,(current-buffer)))))
>>   (message-mail)
>>   (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))
>>
>> Some important notes is this hook is added in local mode, so it only
>> affects that email buffer.
>>

> Can you explain to me what yo umean by "added in local mode" -- how is that
> achieved?

This is what the final t argument in the add-hood function does. I think
it makes the hook local to the buffer it runs in, as opposed to in every buffer.

> Meanwhile, htis is what I've done and it seems to work:
>
> (eval (car (read-from-string
>             (concat
>              "(advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer  :after
>                             (lambda ()
>                               (switch-to-buffer
>                                (get-buffer \""
>              (buffer-name)
>              "\" ))
>                               (advice-remove
> 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer \"om-temp-advice\"))
>                             '((name . \"om-temp-advice\")))"))))

This is practically the same as my `, solution above, you just use
strings to protect some parts of code from evaluation, regular function
calls in places, and then you concat it all together and read it. The `,
syntax is optional, but without it you have to use list and quotes to
build up the code in a similar way:

(let ((f (list
	  'lambda ()
	  (list 'message-box "Came from %s" (current-buffer)))))
  (message-mail)
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))

here the ' means treat something like a symbol, and don't evaluate it.
We build up the lambda expression using runtime information, e.g. what
is the current-buffer when the code is run.

> seems a little baroque. Maybe what you have there is way better.  I don't
> really undertand backquotes and leading ocmmas even now.

It takes some practice. Suppose you have some variables defined, e.g.
a=3, then here are two ways to make a list where you put the value of a
into the first place, and a symbol b in the second place.

(list a 'b)  => '(3 'b)

This lets you build up expressions, including functions that are defined
at runtime. Lots of macros use this syntax to build up expressions that
are later evaluated.

@ 2018-10-24 11:58       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-10-24 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org Mode