* Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
@ 2011-07-12  2:34 Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-07-12  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lista - org-mode

sorry for bothering you again with it, but I'm having a problem with latex
inside footnotes and I couldn't find the answer in the manual.

When I try something like:

----8<---
blablabla [fn:bla]
[fn:bla] this is what \cite{she} said.
----8<---

this gets exported as:

---8<---
blablabla \footnote{ this is what \cite\{she\} said.
---8<---

I believe I'm missing something very basic.
I believe that if I put a "#+Latex:xxx" the xxx part would be exported
verbatim to the latex file. But this would break the footnote. Is there a
way to insert inline latex snippets?

---
Rafael Calsaverini
Dep. de Física Geral, Sala 336
Instituto de Física - Universidade de São Paulo

rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com
http://stoa.usp.br/calsaverini/weblog
CEL: (11) 7525-6222
USP: (11) 3091-6803

* Re: Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
@ 2011-07-12  3:02 ` Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-07-12  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lista - org-mode

Also, I have problems with equations even when I use \(...\) instead of
$...$.

This, for example:
--8<--
* example
Example[fn:note].
[fn:note]An equation: \(\bar{a}\).
---8<--

becomes this:

---8<---
Example\footnote{An equation: \(\bar\{a\}\). }.
---8<---

I'm not really sure, but I suspect this worked before I instaled the latest
version of org-mode.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
--

@ 2011-07-12  6:37   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-07-12  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Lista - org-mode

Rafael Calsaverini <rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I have problems with equations even when I use \(...\) instead of $...$.
>
> This, for example:
> --8<--
> * example
> Example[fn:note].
> [fn:note]An equation: \(\bar{a}\).
> ---8<--
>
> becomes this:
>
> ---8<---
> Example\footnote{An equation: \(\bar\{a\}\). }.
> ---8<---

Unfortunately, the LaTeX exporter does have a lot of weaknesses in this
area: it tends to escape special characters willy-nilly - sometimes
that's the right thing to do, sometimes not.

This particular escaping is done by org-export-latex-special-chars: this
basically loops over four (horrendous-looking) regexps and tries to find
all matches in the buffer for that regexp. It then proceeds to transform
the matched text (and matched pieces of text *around* the main match) in
some (hopefully meaningful) way. In this case, it fails.

The only way I know around this problem is a mechanism that Tom Dye
describes in his (excellent) LaTeX exporting tutorial on Worg. He
credits Lawrence Mitchell for the case that he describes in the tutorial.

Evaluate this expression

(setq org-entities-user '(("l" "{" nil "" "" "" "")
                          ("r" "}" nil "" "" "" "")))

and then export the following:

* example
Example[fn:note].
[fn:note] An equation:  \(\bar \l a\r \).

blablabla [fn:bla]
[fn:bla] this is what \cite\l she\r said.

The trick fools the exporter but there are added spaces - I know no
way to get rid of those.

> I'm not really sure, but I suspect this worked before I instaled the
> latest version of org-mode.

I doubt that. Although patches have been applied to deal with a host of
such problems, it is a long-standing problem that is unlikely to be
completely solved - ever[fn:1].

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] ... although I would love to be proved wrong.

* Re: Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
@ 2011-07-12 10:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-07-12 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: Lista - org-mode

Hello,

Rafael Calsaverini <rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com> writes:

> sorry for bothering you again with it

No problem.

> but I'm having a problem with latex inside footnotes and I couldn't
> find the answer in the manual.
>
> When I try something like:
>
> ----8<---
> blablabla [fn:bla]
> [fn:bla] this is what \cite{she} said.
> ----8<---
>
> this gets exported as:
>
> ---8<---
> blablabla \footnote{this is what \cite\{she\} said. }
> ---8<---

I have pushed a fix for that problem in master. May you try it to
confirm it works (or not...)?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
@ 2011-07-13  8:40     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-13  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rafael Calsaverini, Lista - org-mode

Hi Rafael,

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Although patches have been applied to deal with a host of
> such problems, it is a long-standing problem that is unlikely to be
> completely solved - ever[fn:1].

Yes, we need to rework the way the exporters handle espace chars,
especially the LaTeX one --- it's not only ugly and buggy.

Don't hold your breath though, I won't be on this before 7.7.

Thanks for your understanding,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
@ 2011-07-13 17:33       ` Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-07-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Lista - org-mode