* How to sort table in blocks.
@ 2012-03-15  0:47 Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
From: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay @ 2012-03-15  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for the confusing title.
Here is what I would like to do:-
1. I have a multiple column table, one of which has time stamp and another
one has an entry in multiple lines, because of better visibility. Therefore
the table looks something like this:-

|--------+--------|
| DATE 1 | line 1 |
|        | line 2 |
|        | line 3 |
|--------+--------|
| Date 2 | line 1 |
|        | line 2 |
|        | line 3 |
|        | line 4 |
|--------+--------|

2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting
each line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal
lines.)?

I must say I did not find time to do an extensive search to find a
solution- therefore a pointer to another post or some URL will be very
welcome.

Thanks
Deb

* Re: How to sort table in blocks.
@ 2012-03-15  2:13 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-15  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Debaditya,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:47, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
<debaditya@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting each
> line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal lines.)?

What you are asking about is a table.el table. You can use those with
org, but the support is spotty at best. You will loose the ability use
table formulae, sorting or even nice export to multiple backends. In
short, the answer is "no you can't".

That said, I believe you can put the multiple lines in one long line
and specify how wide the column can be so it appears to be small and
neatly folded in buffer. While editing you can call org-edit-special
and edit the long line conveniently. You also retain all the other
awesome org table features.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to sort table in blocks.
@ 2012-03-16  1:10   ` Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
From: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay @ 2012-03-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu (Subayu?),

Thanks for your answer- I wanted to know that if there is a way to go about
it in orgmode. Ultimately took your advice and  used the <N> in the column.
best.
In all bongness.
Debaditya

@ 2012-03-16  1:47     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Debaditya,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 02:10, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
<debaditya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Suvayu (Subayu?),

:D

Well ideally it should be Shubhayu but alas I'm stuck with the
misspelling, Suvayu.

> Thanks for your answer- I wanted to know that if there is a way to go about
> it in orgmode. Ultimately took your advice and  used the <N> in the column.
> best.

Glad that I was of help.

> In all bongness.

:)