emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* How to sort table in blocks.
@ 2012-03-15  0:47 Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
  2012-03-15  2:13 ` suvayu ali
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay @ 2012-03-15  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 766 bytes --]

Sorry for the confusing title.
Here is what I would like to do:-
1. I have a multiple column table, one of which has time stamp and another
one has an entry in multiple lines, because of better visibility. Therefore
the table looks something like this:-

|--------+--------|
| DATE 1 | line 1 |
|        | line 2 |
|        | line 3 |
|--------+--------|
| Date 2 | line 1 |
|        | line 2 |
|        | line 3 |
|        | line 4 |
|--------+--------|

2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting
each line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal
lines.)?

I must say I did not find time to do an extensive search to find a
solution- therefore a pointer to another post or some URL will be very
welcome.

Thanks
Deb

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1283 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: How to sort table in blocks.
  2012-03-15  0:47 How to sort table in blocks Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
@ 2012-03-15  2:13 ` suvayu ali
  2012-03-16  1:10   ` Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-15  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Debaditya,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:47, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
<debaditya@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting each
> line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal lines.)?

What you are asking about is a table.el table. You can use those with
org, but the support is spotty at best. You will loose the ability use
table formulae, sorting or even nice export to multiple backends. In
short, the answer is "no you can't".

That said, I believe you can put the multiple lines in one long line
and specify how wide the column can be so it appears to be small and
neatly folded in buffer. While editing you can call org-edit-special
and edit the long line conveniently. You also retain all the other
awesome org table features.

Hope this helps.

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: How to sort table in blocks.
  2012-03-15  2:13 ` suvayu ali
@ 2012-03-16  1:10   ` Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
  2012-03-16  1:47     ` suvayu ali
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay @ 2012-03-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1213 bytes --]

Hi Suvayu (Subayu?),

Thanks for your answer- I wanted to know that if there is a way to go about
it in orgmode. Ultimately took your advice and  used the <N> in the column.
best.
In all bongness.
Debaditya

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Debaditya,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:47, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
> <debaditya@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting
> each
> > line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal lines.)?
>
> What you are asking about is a table.el table. You can use those with
> org, but the support is spotty at best. You will loose the ability use
> table formulae, sorting or even nice export to multiple backends. In
> short, the answer is "no you can't".
>
> That said, I believe you can put the multiple lines in one long line
> and specify how wide the column can be so it appears to be small and
> neatly folded in buffer. While editing you can call org-edit-special
> and edit the long line conveniently. You also retain all the other
> awesome org table features.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Suvayu
>
> Open source is the future. It sets us free.
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1700 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: How to sort table in blocks.
  2012-03-16  1:10   ` Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
@ 2012-03-16  1:47     ` suvayu ali
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debaditya Mukhopadhyay; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Debaditya,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 02:10, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
<debaditya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Suvayu (Subayu?),
>

:D

Well ideally it should be Shubhayu but alas I'm stuck with the
misspelling, Suvayu.

> Thanks for your answer- I wanted to know that if there is a way to go about
> it in orgmode. Ultimately took your advice and  used the <N> in the column.
> best.

Glad that I was of help.

> In all bongness.

:)

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2012-03-16  1:48 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2012-03-15  0:47 How to sort table in blocks Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
2012-03-15  2:13 ` suvayu ali
2012-03-16  1:10   ` Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
2012-03-16  1:47     ` suvayu ali

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).