* Rebuilding the Agenda hides inline Images
@ 2012-06-10 12:10 Marcus Klemm
From: Marcus Klemm @ 2012-06-10 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Org-mode developers,

I have an org document with some inline images that I'd like to be
displayed
permanently. I can switch them on using org-toggle-inline-images, but
whenever the agenda is rebuilt, either manually or by an idle timer, they
disappear, so I have to call org-toggle-inline-images twice (switch inline
images off, then on again ) to get them back.

I have found no clues in the manual or mailing list for this being the
intended behavior, so I guess I found a bug.

Ciao, Marcus Klemm

* Re: Rebuilding the Agenda hides inline Images
@ 2012-06-19  7:55 ` Marcus Klemm
From: Marcus Klemm @ 2012-06-19  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcus Klemm <marcus.klemm <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Hello Org-mode developers,
>
> I have an org document with some inline images that I'd like to be displayed
> permanently. I can switch them on using org-toggle-inline-images, but
> whenever the agenda is rebuilt, either manually or by an idle timer, they
> disappear, so I have to call org-toggle-inline-images twice (switch inline
> images off, then on again ) to get them back.
>
> I have found no clues in the manual or mailing list for this being the
> intended behavior, so I guess I found a bug.
>
> Ciao, Marcus Klemm

Over a week and no reaction at all? Really? This is a serious problem for me.
If you need more information about my setup or if there is a bug tracker I
should use, please tell me!

@ 2012-06-19  8:13   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-06-19  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Klemm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Klemm <marcus.klemm@googlemail.com> writes:

>> I have an org document with some inline images that I'd like to be displayed
>> permanently. I can switch them on using org-toggle-inline-images, but
>> whenever the agenda is rebuilt, either manually or by an idle timer, they
>> disappear, so I have to call org-toggle-inline-images twice (switch inline
>> images off, then on again ) to get them back.
>>
>> I have found no clues in the manual or mailing list for this being the
>> intended behavior, so I guess I found a bug.

Do you have (setq org-startup-with-inline-images t) ?

It is in the manual, section 4.4 Handling links:

`C-c C-x C-v     (`org-toggle-inline-images')'
     Toggle the inline display of linked images.  Normally this will
     only inline images that have no description part in the link, i.e.
     images that will also be inlined during export.  When called with
     a prefix argument, also display images that do have a link
     description.  You can ask for inline images to be displayed at
     startup by configuring the variable
     `org-startup-with-inline-images'(6).

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Rebuilding the Agenda hides inline Images
@ 2012-06-19  8:41     ` Charles Philip Chan
       [not found]       ` <CALw-MDp2p3+=Mnpz4M75L9AkKcAPHN04sM1EUCaebbCOzA+BLQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Bastien:

> Do you have (setq org-startup-with-inline-images t) ?

I have the above set to "t" and I have the same problem. The images will
disappear when the agenda is build. I have to toggle it twice for the
images to reappear.

Charles

--
"If a machine couldn't run a free operating system, we got rid of it."

  -- Richard Stallman (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

@ 2012-06-19 17:04         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Ulrich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Moritz Ulrich <ulrich.moritz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Moritz

> It's the same with narrowing. org-mode really deserves a patch to
> preserve buffer state when the agenda is rebuild.

Agreed.

Charles

--
"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God)."

@ 2012-06-19 19:06       ` Marcus Klemm
From: Marcus Klemm @ 2012-06-19 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan <at> bell.net> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
> Hi Bastien:
>
> > Do you have (setq org-startup-with-inline-images t) ?
>
> I have the above set to "t" and I have the same problem. The images will
> disappear when the agenda is build. I have to toggle it twice for the
> images to reappear.

Do you use, by any chance, a custom block agenda?

I wanted to reply to Bastien as fast as possible, so I tried to reproduce
my problem at work. I installed Emacs (v23) and orgmode, created a document
with inline images and built the agenda. The images did not disappear,
everything worked as I would expect.

At home, I use Emacs 24 and have many customizations (from worg's tipps
and tricks page, mostly) in my .emacs. I also almost exclusively use a
custom block agenda showing me the events of today and the next 7 days, my
todo list seperated into generic TODO-items, items I have marked as "next"
(custom TODO keyword), items marked as "waiting" (dito) etc. I also have
the agenda use the whole emacs frame, not splitting it.

So now I have to disable all of those customizations and try again, one by
one ... won't happen until the day after tomorrow (deadlines).

By the way, I found using the iimage minor mode to be a good workaround.

Ciao, Marcus

* Re: Rebuilding the Agenda hides inline Images
@ 2012-06-19 19:27         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode