* #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
@ 2016-07-22 13:46 Adam Aviv
From: Adam Aviv @ 2016-07-22 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I just did an update to my org install, and when I recompiled my notes, I
noticed that I was not getting literal exporting for things between a
#+BEGIN_HTML and #+END_HTML tag, however #+HTML: prefix still exports
properly.

Am I to assume that

#+BEGIN_HTML
#+END_HTML

will be completely replaced now with

#+BEGIN_EXPORT html
#+END_HTML

If so, is there a way to make compilation backwards compatible. I have a
lot of old org files that would be a pain to update.  Further, all the
documentation on the org site is also out of date.

--
Adam J. Aviv, PhD
*Asst. Professor*

* Re: #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
       [not found] <03f355f9d8a6478c816a612e156e2772@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-07-22 14:17 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-07-22 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Aviv; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday, 22 Jul 2016 at 13:46, Adam Aviv wrote:
> I just did an update to my org install, and when I recompiled my
> notes, I noticed that I was not getting literal exporting for things
> between a #+BEGIN_HTML and #+END_HTML tag, however #+HTML: prefix
> still exports properly.
>
> Am I to assume that
>
> #+BEGIN_HTML
> #+END_HTML
>

> will be completely replaced now with
>
> #+BEGIN_EXPORT html
> #+END_HTML

Yes with #+end_export of course.

> If so, is there a way to make compilation backwards compatible. I have
> a lot of old org files that would be a pain to update.  Further, all
> the documentation on the org site is also out of date.

a simple regex replace (or two I guess) will fix all in a file?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.4-1049-g481709

* Re: #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
@ 2016-07-22 15:04   ` Adam Aviv
From: Adam Aviv @ 2016-07-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Adam Aviv, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> > If so, is there a way to make compilation backwards compatible. I have
> > a lot of old org files that would be a pain to update.  Further, all
> > the documentation on the org site is also out of date.
>
> a simple regex replace (or two I guess) will fix all in a file?

Yes, I agree --- but that's a burden on long time users even if it is a
simple sed script.

I just wonder why the #+BEGIN_HTML was removed in the first place? What
harm was it doing? And, why was this change made without updating the
documentation to reflect it?

--

@ 2016-07-22 16:38     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Aviv; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, Adam Aviv wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>> If so, is there a way to make compilation backwards compatible. I have
>>> a lot of old org files that would be a pain to update.  Further, all
>>> the documentation on the org site is also out of date.
>>
>> a simple regex replace (or two I guess) will fix all in a file?

Better still `org-repair-export-blocks' will fix them.

It can be found in the

: *** New syntax for export blocks

section of ORG-NEWS.

> Yes, I agree --- but that's a burden on long time users even if it is a
> simple sed script.
>
> I just wonder why the #+BEGIN_HTML was removed in the first place? What
> harm was it doing?

As the ORG-NEWS section above notes, it fixes some parsing issues.

> And, why was this change made without updating the documentation to
> reflect it?

It is updated. For example, see

 	(info "(org) Special blocks")
and
 	(info "(org) results")

and in ORG-NEWS.

Chuck

* Re: #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
@ 2016-07-22 19:33       ` Adam Aviv
From: Adam Aviv @ 2016-07-22 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Charles C. Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> It is updated. For example, see
>
>         (info "(org) Special blocks")
> and
>         (info "(org) results")
>
> and in ORG-NEWS.

I see that now, but the online documentation is still out dated:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Quoting-HTML-tags.html

Is there a push cycle to keep the online documents up to date with the
source documentation? Or is that controlled differently?

--

@ 2016-07-22 20:58         ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2016-07-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Aviv; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Charles C. Berry

Hi,
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:33:53 -0400
Adam Aviv <aviv@usna.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Charles C. Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > It is updated. For example, see
> >
> >         (info "(org) Special blocks")
> > and
> >         (info "(org) results")
> >
> > and in ORG-NEWS.
> >

> I see that now, but the online documentation is still out dated:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Quoting-HTML-tags.html
>
> Is there a push cycle to keep the online documents up to date with the
> source documentation? Or is that controlled differently?

The online documentation is for the released version and its
maintenance (i.e. git release `8.3.5' and git branch `maint').

Your org version is from the development branch `master'.  It is
documented in the doc/ directory.  To create the HTML manual run `gmake
html' in the top directory of the source; for a printable PDF run
`gmake pdf'.  The final manual will also be in the doc/ directory.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
@ 2016-07-22 21:15         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-07-22 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adam Aviv <aviv@usna.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Charles C. Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>     It is updated. For example, see
>
>             (info "(org) Special blocks")
>     and
>             (info "(org) results")
>
>     and in ORG-NEWS.
>
> I see that now, but the online documentation is still out dated:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Quoting-HTML-tags.html
>
> Is there a push cycle to keep the online documents up to date with the source documentation? Or is that
> controlled differently?

That's because the online docs are for the stable version (the version
you get from the maint branch of the git repo).

If you are using latest (i.e. the master branch of the git repo), then
you have to build and use the docs that come with it:

  make info

I do

INFOPATH=$HOME/src/emacs/org/org-mode/doc:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/share/info
export INFOPATH

in my login shell initialization file to make sure that I pick the
version I built over any other versions installed on my system.
There are other ways to do that - and even for this one, you will
have to modify the paths appropriately.

--
Nick

* Re: #+BEGIN_html/#+END_html tags not exporting literally to html anymore?
@ 2016-07-24 15:53           ` Adam Aviv
From: Adam Aviv @ 2016-07-24 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode