* Insert a heading in every sibling
@ 2013-10-28  1:13 Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2013-10-28  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

I'm using org-mode to keep track of student grades.  How can I easily add a
bunch of identical headings at a certain level in my tree?   Specifically,I
have a L2 heading for each student, and I want to put a node (heading, with
some properties) under each L2 student heading for that class.

* Class One
** Sarah Adams
*** Essay One
Here is my comment to the student on their essay.  The grade/mark itself
will be stored as a property or priority.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HERE I'd like to add a node for "Essay Two"
** John Smith
*** Essay One
Comment on John's essay.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I to add the same node skeleton here, automatically
** Sally Lovelace
*** Essay One
Comment on Sally's essay.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< And here.
* Class Two
** Ralph Friendly
** Sam Hudson

Thanks,
Scot

* Re: Insert a heading in every sibling
@ 2013-10-28  6:13 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-28  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-28, o godz. 06:13:21
Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> I'm using org-mode to keep track of student grades.  How can I easily
> add a bunch of identical headings at a certain level in my tree?
> Specifically,I have a L2 heading for each student, and I want to put
> a node (heading, with some properties) under each L2 student heading
> for that class.

Personally, I'd just write a small Elisp function to do that.  (It's
easier than you might think - even I could do that;).)  Here's a thing
that is (remotely) similar:
http://mbork.pl/2013-09-23_Automatic_insertion_of_habit_templates_%28en%29

Or, you could record a keyboard macro, and even save it as Elisp.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Insert a heading in every sibling
@ 2013-10-28  8:51   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-10-28  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Scot Becker <scot.becker-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> napisał(a):
>
>> I'm using org-mode to keep track of student grades.  How can I easily
>> add a bunch of identical headings at a certain level in my tree?
>> Specifically,I have a L2 heading for each student, and I want to put
>> a node (heading, with some properties) under each L2 student heading
>> for that class.
>
> Personally, I'd just write a small Elisp function to do that.  (It's
> easier than you might think - even I could do that;).)  Here's a thing
> that is (remotely) similar:
> http://mbork.pl/2013-09-23_Automatic_insertion_of_habit_templates_%28en%29
>
> Or, you could record a keyboard macro, and even save it as Elisp.

Other solutions include:

- using YASnippets, or

- writing a skeleton in the Org document and cloning it N times at once (see
  C-c C-x c).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Insert a heading in every sibling
@ 2013-10-28 16:08     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2013-10-28 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Thanks,  Seb and Marcin.  I didn't know about cloning.  That will do for
those parts of the tree that I know about before I start filling in the
data.  For afterwards, which is more the case I'm thinking about, I'll aim
to write an Elisp function using org-insert-subheading.  That sample macro
gives me something to go on. I'll experiment with keyboard macros, too,
which might be fine for this application.

Thx.

@ 2013-10-29 19:01       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-10-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Org-mode ml

I worked out some emacs-lisp code that does some of what you want. It was a
little tricky though to avoid some strange recursion loops. See this post:

http://jkitchin.github.io/blog/2013/10/29/Add-subheadings-to-all-headings-in-an-org-file-at-some-level/

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2013-12-21  6:04 ` Yasushi SHOJI
From: Yasushi SHOJI @ 2013-12-21  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

At Mon, 28 Oct 2013 06:13:21 +0500,
Scot Becker wrote:

> I'm using org-mode to keep track of student grades.  How can I easily add a
> bunch of identical headings at a certain level in my tree?   Specifically,I
> have a L2 heading for each student, and I want to put a node (heading, with
> some properties) under each L2 student heading for that class.

It is not a org solution but I'd recommend using multiple cursor by
Magnar Sveen of Emacs rocks.

 - http://emacsrocks.com/e13.html
 - https://github.com/magnars/multiple-cursors.el

> * Class One
> ** Sarah Adams
> *** Essay One
> Here is my comment to the student on their essay.  The grade/mark itself
> will be stored as a property or priority.
[...]

In the case of above, do the following after properly installed mc:

 1. mark `Essay One'
 2. call `mc/mark-all-like-this'
 3. C-<Enter>
 4. Type 'Essay Two'

Viola! Now you have new `Essay Two' entries even if you already have
one. ;-p

My two cents,
--
          yashi