Thanks, Seb and Marcin. I didn't know about cloning. That will do for those parts of the tree that I know about before I start filling in the data. For afterwards, which is more the case I'm thinking about, I'll aim to write an Elisp function using org-insert-subheading. That sample macro gives me something to go on. I'll experiment with keyboard macros, too, which might be fine for this application. Thx. On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote: > Marcin Borkowski wrote: > > Scot Becker napisaƂ(a): > > > >> I'm using org-mode to keep track of student grades. How can I easily > >> add a bunch of identical headings at a certain level in my tree? > >> Specifically,I have a L2 heading for each student, and I want to put > >> a node (heading, with some properties) under each L2 student heading > >> for that class. > > > > Personally, I'd just write a small Elisp function to do that. (It's > > easier than you might think - even I could do that;).) Here's a thing > > that is (remotely) similar: > > > http://mbork.pl/2013-09-23_Automatic_insertion_of_habit_templates_%28en%29 > > > > Or, you could record a keyboard macro, and even save it as Elisp. > > Other solutions include: > > - using YASnippets, or > > - writing a skeleton in the Org document and cloning it N times at once > (see > C-c C-x c). > > Best regards, > Seb > > -- > Sebastien Vauban > > >