emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-25 17:32 Filippo A. Salustri
  2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode mailing list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 765 bytes --]

I have looked but cannot find anything especially enlightening.
I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't got
'make' everywhere.

I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server, which
has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical directory
structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether that would
work?

And in any case, if someone could point me at a good page explaining the
Lion/Org installation, I'd greatly appreciate it.
/fas

-- 
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1055 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 17:32 advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion Filippo A. Salustri
@ 2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 18:26   ` Filippo A. Salustri
  2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode mailing list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1166 bytes --]

Can you just compile without make tools? This is what I do on Windows in
combination with git, which is easier to setup than trying to get a
compiler up and running, at least for me :)

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#compiling-org-without-make

Hope that helps!
John
On Aug 25, 2012 12:32 PM, "Filippo A. Salustri" <salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:

> I have looked but cannot find anything especially enlightening.
> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
> got 'make' everywhere.
>
> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether that
> would work?
>
> And in any case, if someone could point me at a good page explaining the
> Lion/Org installation, I'd greatly appreciate it.
> /fas
>
> --
> \V/_
> Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
> Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
> Ryerson University
> 350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
> M5B 2K3, Canada
> Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
> Fax: 416/979-5265
> Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
> http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1933 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
@ 2012-08-25 18:26   ` Filippo A. Salustri
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode mailing list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1734 bytes --]

John,
Thanks for your idea.
I am aware of the worg page you linked to.
I forgot to mention one other thing: I use Aquamacs, which has a hard time
with the compiling-without-make stuff.  My bad; sorry.
/fas

On 25 August 2012 14:19, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you just compile without make tools? This is what I do on Windows in
> combination with git, which is easier to setup than trying to get a
> compiler up and running, at least for me :)
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#compiling-org-without-make
>
> Hope that helps!
> John
> On Aug 25, 2012 12:32 PM, "Filippo A. Salustri" <salustri@ryerson.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I have looked but cannot find anything especially enlightening.
>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>> got 'make' everywhere.
>>
>> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
>> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
>> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether that
>> would work?
>>
>> And in any case, if someone could point me at a good page explaining the
>> Lion/Org installation, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>> /fas
>>
>> --
>> \V/_
>> Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
>> Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
>> Ryerson University
>> 350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
>> M5B 2K3, Canada
>> Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
>> Fax: 416/979-5265
>> Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
>> http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/
>>
>>


-- 
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3083 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 17:32 advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion Filippo A. Salustri
  2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
@ 2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
  2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 19:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Filippo A. Salustri writes:
> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
> got 'make' everywhere.

Why do you need Xcode to get make?

> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether
> that would work?

Yes that works just fine.


Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
@ 2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
                       ` (2 more replies)
  2012-08-25 19:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri
  1 sibling, 3 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-25 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>> got 'make' everywhere.
>
> Why do you need Xcode to get make?

Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
folder. Is there a better way?

John

>
>> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
>> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
>> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether
>> that would work?
>
> Yes that works just fine.
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
@ 2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
  2012-08-25 20:10     ` Achim Gratz
  2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1606 bytes --]

Yes, John is right. Xcode is one-stop shopping for gcc, fortran (!?!?!),
objective-c, all the command-line tools, etc & so on, without having to use
macports or fink or whatever.  And it's a trivial installation.

(Note to non-Mac users; Lion client version comes with no compilation stuff
cuz... well, it's a "client" :)

/fas

On 25 August 2012 15:44, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> > Filippo A. Salustri writes:
> >> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
> >> got 'make' everywhere.
> >
> > Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>
> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
> folder. Is there a better way?
>
> John
>
> >
> >> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
> >> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
> >> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether
> >> that would work?
> >
> > Yes that works just fine.
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> > Achim.
> > --
> > +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
> >
> > SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> > http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada
> >
> >
>
>


-- 
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2596 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
  2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
@ 2012-08-25 19:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1090 bytes --]

Achim,
Thanks for confirming the bit about compiling org here and copying it
elsewhere.  I'll give it a shot.
/fas

On 25 August 2012 15:39, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
> > I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
> > got 'make' everywhere.
>
> Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>
> > I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
> > which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
> > directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether
> > that would work?
>
> Yes that works just fine.
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada
>
>
>


-- 
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1858 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
@ 2012-08-25 20:10     ` Achim Gratz
  2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:
> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
> folder. Is there a better way?

Dunno.  The first and last thing Apple I've used was a Macintosh Classic
IIRC…


Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
  2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
  2012-08-25 20:10     ` Achim Gratz
@ 2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
  2012-08-26 13:22       ` John Hendy
  2012-08-26 14:38       ` Filippo A. Salustri
  2 siblings, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Moritz Ulrich @ 2012-08-26  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode


John Hendy writes:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
>>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>>> got 'make' everywhere.
>>
>> Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>
> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
> folder. Is there a better way?
>
> John
>

Yes, there is! :-) Use a recent Xcode from the Mac AppStore and install
the command line tools via the option dialog.

--
Moritz Ulrich

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
@ 2012-08-26 13:22       ` John Hendy
  2012-08-26 14:38       ` Filippo A. Salustri
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Ulrich; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Moritz Ulrich <moritz@tarn-vedra.de> wrote:
>
> John Hendy writes:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>>> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
>>>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>>>> got 'make' everywhere.
>>>
>>> Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>>
>> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
>> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
>> folder. Is there a better way?
>>
>> John
>>
>
> Yes, there is! :-) Use a recent Xcode from the Mac AppStore and install
> the command line tools via the option dialog.

Well... I guess. If your Xcode is outdated on the DVD and you want to
wait for that big 'ol download. I think we're just talking about the
same thing with slightly different aspects to each method :)

John

>
> --
> Moritz Ulrich

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
  2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
  2012-08-26 13:22       ` John Hendy
@ 2012-08-26 14:38       ` Filippo A. Salustri
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-26 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Ulrich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode mailing list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 599 bytes --]

Yes, I download it from the AppStore too.
I just start download before I go to lunch.  It's done long before I get
back.
/fas

On 26 August 2012 04:58, Moritz Ulrich <moritz@tarn-vedra.de> wrote:

>
> Yes, there is! :-) Use a recent Xcode from the Mac AppStore and install
> the command line tools via the option dialog.
>
> --
> Moritz Ulrich
>
>


-- 
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1110 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2012-08-26 14:38 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 11+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2012-08-25 17:32 advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion Filippo A. Salustri
2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
2012-08-25 18:26   ` Filippo A. Salustri
2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
2012-08-25 20:10     ` Achim Gratz
2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
2012-08-26 13:22       ` John Hendy
2012-08-26 14:38       ` Filippo A. Salustri
2012-08-25 19:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).