* advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-25 17:32 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have looked but cannot find anything especially enlightening.
I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't got
'make' everywhere.

I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server, which
has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical directory
structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether that would
work?

And in any case, if someone could point me at a good page explaining the
Lion/Org installation, I'd greatly appreciate it.
/fas

--
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-25 18:19 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can you just compile without make tools? This is what I do on Windows in
combination with git, which is easier to setup than trying to get a
compiler up and running, at least for me :)

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#compiling-org-without-make

Hope that helps!
John

@ 2012-08-25 18:26   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

John,
Thanks for your idea.
I am aware of the worg page you linked to.
I forgot to mention one other thing: I use Aquamacs, which has a hard time
with the compiling-without-make stuff.  My bad; sorry.
/fas

--

@ 2012-08-25 19:39 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Filippo A. Salustri writes:
> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
> got 'make' everywhere.

Why do you need Xcode to get make?

> I've been toying with trying to do the installation on my Mac server,
> which has Xcode, then copying the compiled stuff into the identical
> directory structure on my non-Xcode machines.  Any thoughts on whether
> that would work?

Yes that works just fine.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-25 19:44   ` John Hendy
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-25 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>> got 'make' everywhere.
>
> Why do you need Xcode to get make?

Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
folder. Is there a better way?

John

@ 2012-08-25 19:57     ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Yes, John is right. Xcode is one-stop shopping for gcc, fortran (!?!?!),
objective-c, all the command-line tools, etc & so on, without having to use
macports or fink or whatever.  And it's a trivial installation.

(Note to non-Mac users; Lion client version comes with no compilation stuff
cuz... well, it's a "client" :)

/fas

@ 2012-08-25 19:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim,
Thanks for confirming the bit about compiling org here and copying it
elsewhere.  I'll give it a shot.
/fas

@ 2012-08-25 20:10     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:
> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
> folder. Is there a better way?

Dunno.  The first and last thing Apple I've used was a Macintosh Classic
IIRC…

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-26  8:58     ` Moritz Ulrich
From: Moritz Ulrich @ 2012-08-26  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>> Filippo A. Salustri writes:
>>> I haven't yet installed Xcode on some of my Lion machines, so I haven't
>>> got 'make' everywhere.
>>
>> Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>
> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
> folder. Is there a better way?
>
> John

Yes, there is! :-) Use a recent Xcode from the Mac AppStore and install
the command line tools via the option dialog.

--
Moritz Ulrich

* Re: advice on compiling org 7.9 for OSX Lion.
@ 2012-08-26 13:22       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Ulrich; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Moritz Ulrich <moritz@tarn-vedra.de> wrote:

> John Hendy writes:

>>> Why do you need Xcode to get make?
>>
>> Having a Mac myself, I'm assuming the answer is that it's just the
>> easiest way. Pop in the DVD and install the gcc tools from the extras
>> folder. Is there a better way?
>>
>> John
>>

> Yes, there is! :-) Use a recent Xcode from the Mac AppStore and install
> the command line tools via the option dialog.

Well... I guess. If your Xcode is outdated on the DVD and you want to
wait for that big 'ol download. I think we're just talking about the
same thing with slightly different aspects to each method :)

John

@ 2012-08-26 14:38       ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2012-08-26 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)