* RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command org-todo
@ 2019-08-13  8:24 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2019-08-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

I have been looking at the code for the command org-todo in combination
with the setting of the variable org-use-fast-todo-selection.  And I am
frustrated with the complication and special cases, so I would like to
simplify.  Much of this complication stems from a time when the fast
selection interface had just been implemented and I was not yet sure if I
and others wanted to use it. I think things can be better.

But that does changes something with the user interface, so I am trying to
figure out if anyone would be bothered by this change.

1. Right now, you can set org-use-fast-todo-selection to `prefix'.  With
this setting, fast todo keyword selection is used when you call org-todo
with a prefix argument.  I think this is not useful and I would like to
remove that functionality.  Is anyone even aware of this effect of C-u and
is using this?

2. I want to change org-use-fast-todo-selection to allow these values:
   - nil        Never use it
   - auto    Use it, if keys have been defined.  This would make it similar
                 to the tags selection.  I would accept the value `t' to
mean the same,
                 for backward compatibility
   - expert  Use it, but do not pop up the window with the selections, only
show them in the prompt (or don't show them at all,  am still
considering).  This is because I have been bothered by the jumping windows
when I do a selection that I do so many times a day, and where I know the
keys blindly.

The default setting would be `auto'.  I myself would be using `expert'.

3. I want to make `C-u C-c C-t' to switch the TODO state and force logging
a time stamp and taking a note.  I am already using that functionality (now
harder to access, on `C-u C-u C-u C-c C-t'), I find it very natural and I
think it is often better than configuring automatic note-taking for every
change, at least for my working environment.  Automatic note-taking slows
me down too often.

Any comments?

Thanks

- Carsten

* Re: RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command org-todo
@ 2019-08-13  8:39 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-08-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

I would be happy with the changes you propose and auto would be a good
default.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.4-399-g4e6222

* Re: RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command org-todo
@ 2019-08-13 21:38 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-08-13 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, org-mode list

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
> 3. I want to make `C-u C-c C-t' to switch the TODO state and force logging
> a time stamp and taking a note.  I am already using that functionality (now
> harder to access, on `C-u C-u C-u C-c C-t'), I find it very natural and I
> think it is often better than configuring automatic note-taking for every
> change, at least for my working environment.  Automatic note-taking slows
> me down too often.

I am in favour of this.  I want to take notes when changing states
_some_ of the time, and thus activate it but end up hitting `C-c C-k' to
omit the note most of the time.  I could omit automatic notes and
manually add notes with `C-c C-z`, but I think what you propose here is
better.

Stig

* Re: RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command org-todo
@ 2019-08-16  6:50 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2019-08-16  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list