* Org-odt table format
@ 2011-10-26 10:58 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2011-10-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is there a way to specify (in the org file) column widths of a table when exported to an odt file.

Vikas

* Re: Org-odt table format
@ 2011-10-26 17:53 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikas Rawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Vikas

> Is there a way to specify (in the org file) column widths of a table
> when exported to an odt file.

I am in the final stages of refining the ODT info manual. I am attaching
org-odt.texi and org-odt.pdf.

You can do this:

1. cp org-odt.texi ~/tmp
2. cd ~/tmp
2. makeinfo --no-split org-odt.texi -o org-odt
3. C-u C-h i org-odt
4. Follow this path Exporting->OpenDocument Text export->Tables in ODT
export
5. Answer for your question is in there

Let me see how good my documentation is ...

(The org-odt.texi has references to Org manual. So you will find it
convenient to view it with info)

--

[-- Attachment #2: org-odt.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: org-odt.texi --]
[-- Type: application/texinfo, Size: 35877 bytes --]

* [ANN][RFC] org-odt.texi/org-odt.pdf preview (was Re: Org-odt table format)
@ 2011-10-26 18:04   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-26 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

The org-odt.texi and org-odt.pdf are in the parent of this mail. It is
also accessible as attachment at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/48468

Proof readers invited.

* Re: [ANN][RFC] org-odt.texi/org-odt.pdf preview (was Re: Org-odt table format)
@ 2011-10-27  9:09     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-27  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi, Jambunathan,

This is great. I'd be happy to proofread. What's the best way to
return the proofs to you? A diff of the .texi?

A couple of questions and suggestions. First, about the syntax rather
than about the manual:

- Image attributes: Are the parentheses needed in the ATTR_ODT line?
(This is not about the manual, but about the syntax.) It would be
simpler and generally more consistent with user expectations from
other ATTR lines, I think, if it worked like this:

   #+ATTR_ODT: :width 10 :height 10

About the manual:

- Literal examples:
   - Add a hint, where does one get an enhanced htmlfontify.el?

- References and captions (not covered): It would be worth mentioning
in the Tables and Images sections that these will work, but that you
may need to use Tools>Update>Fields in LibreOffice to get them
displayed right.

- There are some long technical sections that are great if you want to
get under the hood, but may be a bit intimidating, and that come
before the short first-aid stuff. You might want to consider:

   - Starting "Applying Custom Styles" with a simple howto setting out
the user-friendly steps: export an ODT (with num:t and any other
settings needed to get all the styles), tweak its looks in LibreOffice
(preserving heading numbering as an option), save the result and point
to it with ODT_STYLES_FILE.

(As it is, the manual gives a strong impression that the user will
have to mess with XML files to get custom styles.)

- Possibly moving "Exporting and Converting to Other Formats" to the
end of the manual.

- Possibly separating out the explanation of custom table styles as a
separate section and moving it to the end of the manual. (BTW, custom
table styles sounds great, I'm looking forward to trying this out.)

Yours,
Christian

On 10/26/11 8:04 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:

> The org-odt.texi and org-odt.pdf are in the parent of this mail. It is
> also accessible as attachment at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/48468
>
> Proof readers invited.

* Re: Org-odt table format
@ 2011-10-28  2:01   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2011-10-28  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikas Rawal, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Let me see how good my documentation is ...

Thanks very much for responding to my query and for sending the
documentation. This indeed clarifies the approach one needs to take in
formatting the odt documents. I, however, realise that I need to understand
a lot more of odt internals to be able to format the documents.

Will work on it and report on how it goes.

Thanks for all the wonderful work,

Vikas

* Re: Org-odt table format
@ 2011-10-28  3:38 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-28  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikas Rawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> Is there a way to specify (in the org file) column widths of a table
> when exported to an odt file.

Ok, looks like the manual was dense.

Copy the two files seen here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/tree/private:/contrib/odt/tests

and put it in the same directory.

Export the file and you will see the stuff you can see with the
tables. Tables are under the heading titled "Tables".

ps: If the documentation didn't help you, then I would have liked to
hear how it could have been improved.

@ 2011-10-28  4:19       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-28  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Hi, Jambunathan,
>
> This is great. I'd be happy to proofread.

Thanks. That is nice.

> What's the best way to return the proofs to you? A diff of the .texi?

Whatever suits you.

You can just send me a copy/paste/modify text snippets - with "change
this to that" - on the mailing list and I can incorporate those in to
org.texi.

Your suggestions are good and it gives a user-side perspective on what
is essential and useful. I will work on your suggestions and circulate a
revised draft shortly.

Once an initial org.texi gets in to the repo, improving it would be a
breeze.

* Re: [ANN][RFC] org-odt.texi/org-odt.pdf preview (was Re: Org-odt table format)
@ 2011-10-28  7:47         ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-28  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

Great, I'll just wait for your revised draft so we don't get versions
mixed up.

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-12-10 23:13           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-12-10 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Christian

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Great, I'll just wait for your revised draft so we don't get versions
> mixed up.

You would have seen this announcement[1] by Bastien. I have checked in
the revised Info documentation for ODT exporter in to the master repo. I
have tried my best to act on all your inputs.

Let me know what you think.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg49545.html

@ 2011-12-10 23:16       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-12-10 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> - References and captions (not covered): It would be worth mentioning
> in the Tables and Images sections that these will work, but that you
> may need to use Tools>Update>Fields in LibreOffice to get them
> displayed right.

I removed the above restriction - which was there in the initial
releases - long ago. So update of fields will no longer be
necessary. The exported document will have up-to-date index.

* Re: [ANN][RFC] org-odt.texi/org-odt.pdf preview (was Re: Org-odt table format)
@ 2011-12-11  7:18             ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-12-11  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Great news!

I'll go over the documentation as promised.

Yours,
Christian