* Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-05 12:49 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-05 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

although using Emacs/Org-mode for almost everything, I still write my
"official" correspondence with a (quite nice) OpenOffice template. It
would be so much easier and faster to just use Org mode for that too.

I tried some LaTeX templates from the web, but they were ugly. I know
one could use the "Do It Yourself" approach, but I would rather save the
time and effort and like to ask if anybody on the list has a nice
looking Org-mode/ LaTeX setup for business letters and/or facturations
and doesn't mind to share it?

I found this interesting thread about the same topic:

,------------------------------------------------------------
| http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/Fv8aAut19uyEPkEUnsM8
`------------------------------------------------------------

but I could not figure out if it resulted in a kind of final setup that
is now used by some people and can be downloaded somewhere.

Thanks in advance

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-05 13:12 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-07-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
> although using Emacs/Org-mode for almost everything, I still write my
> "official" correspondence with a (quite nice) OpenOffice template. It
> would be so much easier and faster to just use Org mode for that too.

You can use opendocument export and use your Libreoffice template with
it. Check the archives for Jambunathan's post detailing how to do
that.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-05 19:00   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-05 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Thorsten Jolitz
> <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> although using Emacs/Org-mode for almost everything, I still write my
>> "official" correspondence with a (quite nice) OpenOffice template. It
>> would be so much easier and faster to just use Org mode for that too.
>
> You can use opendocument export and use your Libreoffice template with
> it. Check the archives for Jambunathan's post detailing how to do
> that.

Ok, thanks, though that would not be my perfered solution.
--

@ 2012-07-05 22:00     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-07-05 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Thorsten Jolitz
>> <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> although using Emacs/Org-mode for almost everything, I still write my
>>> "official" correspondence with a (quite nice) OpenOffice template. It
>>> would be so much easier and faster to just use Org mode for that too.
>>
>> You can use opendocument export and use your Libreoffice template with
>> it. Check the archives for Jambunathan's post detailing how to do
>> that.
>
> Ok, thanks, though that would not be my perfered solution.

Well I assumed it would be since you already have a "quite nice"
OpenOffice template. If you are after latex templates for letters in
specific, I think Org mode might be the wrong tool for that. The tree
structure is a fundamental part of Org. This works very well for
articles, reports, theses; however I'm not sure it works as well for
letters. You might be better off by just using latex directly.

That said, maybe you could look for a latex template on CTAN[1]. Then
you could customise org-export-latex-classes to include the
documentclass provided by the package. Although I'm not sure how a tree
structure could be mapped to a letter.

If you do succeed, I would be interested to know.

GL

Footnotes:

[1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-05 22:47       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Well I assumed it would be since you already have a "quite nice"
> OpenOffice template.

It looks like a professional letter, while everything I found in the web
rathers proves that programmers are not designers, even with a tool like
LaTeX at hand.

> If you are after latex templates for letters in specific, I think Org
> mode might be the wrong tool for that. The tree structure is a
> fundamental part of Org. This works very well for articles, reports,
> theses; however I'm not sure it works as well for letters. You might
> be better off by just using latex directly.
>
> That said, maybe you could look for a latex template on CTAN[1]. Then
> you could customise org-export-latex-classes to include the
> documentclass provided by the package. Although I'm not sure how a tree
> structure could be mapped to a letter.
>
> If you do succeed, I would be interested to know.

Thanks for the tips, but I don't have time for that at the moment and
was rather hoping that somebody already did the work and likes to share.
Of course this is not a LaTeX list, but it would be OK too to just have a
nice LaTeX template and write with AucTeX, even if Org mode is not used
(yet).

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.

Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
design?. I tried that once and the result was ugly, there is a lot of
extra work necesary to make it look fancy and modern.

--

@ 2012-07-06  8:47         ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2012-07-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 12:47:59AM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
> > [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.
>
> Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
> your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
> design?...

Letter styles may be very different from country to country.  Thus the
LaTeX world knows various attempts to create templates for letters that
comply with national standards and national fancy.  Just for the case
that you are German, have a look at www.komascript.de and look for the
examples from Markus Kohms KOMA-Script book.  There are several examples
how to use the scrlttr2 class and how to tweak it to create an individual
template.

--
Regards
Michael

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-06 16:35           ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> writes:

Hi Michael,

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 12:47:59AM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>> > [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.
>>
>> Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
>> your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
>> design?...
>
> Letter styles may be very different from country to country.  Thus the
> LaTeX world knows various attempts to create templates for letters that
> comply with national standards and national fancy.  Just for the case
> that you are German, have a look at www.komascript.de and look for the
> examples from Markus Kohms KOMA-Script book.  There are several examples
> how to use the scrlttr2 class and how to tweak it to create an individual
> template.

Yes, I'm German, and I've used komascript before, and that is definitely
a  way to achieve what I want.

I'm just trying to repeat the nice experience I had with writing a
modern CV in LaTeX - download a template, put in your data, and enjoy a
beautifill CV (or letter) - actually much more beautiful than I would
have ever managed to produce, and all that without hours or days of
tweaking.

But I probably should have a second look at the scrlttr2 class.
Thanks for the tip.

--

@ 2012-07-06 18:11             ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-07-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm just trying to repeat the nice experience I had with writing a
> modern CV in LaTeX - download a template, put in your data, and enjoy a
> beautifill CV (or letter) - actually much more beautiful than I would
> have ever managed to produce, and all that without hours or days of
> tweaking.

The way I see it, someone had to invest the time for you to have that
smooth experience. Maybe no one did that for letters yet. Who knows, we
could be using your template in the future. ;)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-06 19:11               ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-06 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Thorsten Jolitz
> <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm just trying to repeat the nice experience I had with writing a
>> modern CV in LaTeX - download a template, put in your data, and enjoy a
>> beautifill CV (or letter) - actually much more beautiful than I would
>> have ever managed to produce, and all that without hours or days of
>> tweaking.
>
> The way I see it, someone had to invest the time for you to have that
> smooth experience. Maybe no one did that for letters yet. Who knows, we
> could be using your template in the future. ;)

When I start Emacs or use Org mode, my smooth experience depends very
much on time invested by others (for me?). I know one should give back
too, but it doesn't hurt to ask first what is there already.

If I find (or make) a nice template, I will announce it ;)

--

@ 2012-07-06 19:23                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> If I find (or make) a nice template, I will announce it ;)

A letter is no more than a header with the author, the date, the object
of the letter, perhaps the client's address and the content of the
letter.

If you find a nice LaTeX class, it is quite straightforward to create a
derived LaTeX backend with ̀org-export-define-derived-backend' so that
you get a .tex file using that class and the correct instructions.

I would use #+PROPERTY to define the necessary information such as
your address, etc.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-06 19:44                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Thorsten Jolitz, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> A letter is no more than a header with the author, the date, the object
> of the letter, perhaps the client's address and the content of the
> letter.
>
> If you find a nice LaTeX class, it is quite straightforward to create a
> derived LaTeX backend with ̀org-export-define-derived-backend' so that
> you get a .tex file using that class and the correct instructions.

Good idea!

> I would use #+PROPERTY to define the necessary information such as
> your address, etc.

Another solution could be to create dedicated buffer keywords. With the
following:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(org-export-define-derived-backend 'letter 'e-latex
  :options-alist ((:address "ADDRESS" nil nil newline)
                  (:destination "DESTINATION" nil nil newline)
                  (:object "OBJECT"))
  :translate-alist ((template . org-letter-template)))
#+end_src

you can define an address with:

#+begin_src org
#+ADDRESS: Free Software Foundation
#+ADDRESS: 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
#+ADDRESS: Boston, MA 02110-1301
#+ADDRESS: USA
#+end_src

and access it with (plist-get info :address) in `org-letter-template'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
       [not found] <mailman.113.1341590425.5066.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-06 20:50 ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-07-06 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

FWIW:

One format provided by Groff MM macros are business letters. It may not
fit all types of communications, but it was the way business letters
written in Ma Bell for many years.

Keep in mind that I'm still working on this code.  It is far from
done.

Source:

http://ppl.ug/AcT6H0xSB1o/

Output:

http://ppl.ug/-isIJ_7crRc/

--
Luis Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-07  1:55         ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-07-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> > [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.
>
> Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
> your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
> design?. I tried that once and the result was ugly, there is a lot of
> extra work necesary to make it look fancy and modern.

May be relevant to look at this thread from the list:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/29926

Vikas

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-07  2:42             ` Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2012-07-07  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'm German, and I've used komascript before, and that is definitely
> a  way to achieve what I want.
>
> I'm just trying to repeat the nice experience I had with writing a
> modern CV in LaTeX - download a template, put in your data, and enjoy a
> beautifill CV (or letter) - actually much more beautiful than I would
> have ever managed to produce, and all that without hours or days of
> tweaking.

Just out of curiosity, what was the CV template you used ?

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com

* Re: Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
@ 2012-07-07 11:48               ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-07 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> writes:

> Just out of curiosity, what was the CV template you used ?

I attach 3 variations of the same template, I used the one from TRAVIS
as a basis for my CV, but the others are nice too.

[-- Attachment #2: CV 2007 Krieger --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 4789 bytes --]

%% start of file `template_en.tex'.
%% Copyright 2007 Xavier Danaux (xdanaux@gmail.com).
%
% This work may be distributed and/or modified under the
% conditions of the LaTeX Project Public License version 1.3c,
% available at http://www.latex-project.org/lppl/.

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{moderncv}

% moderncv themes
\moderncvtheme[red]{casual}                 % optional argument are 'blue' (default), 'orange', 'red', 'green', 'grey' and 'roman' (for roman fonts, instead of sans serif fonts)
%\moderncvtheme[green]{classic}                % idem

% character encoding
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}                   % replace by the encoding you are using

% adjust the page margins
\usepackage[scale=0.8]{geometry}
\recomputelengths                             % required when changes are made to page layout lengths

% personal data
\firstname{Holly}
\familyname{Krieger}
%\title{Resumé title (optional)}               % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\address{851 S. Morgan}{Chicago, IL 60607}    % optional, remove the line if not wanted
%\mobile{mobile (optional)}                    % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\phone{312.996.2132}                      % optional, remove the line if not wanted
%\fax{fax (optional)}                          % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\email{hkrieger@uic.edu}                      % optional, remove the line if not wanted
%\extrainfo{additional information (optional)} % optional, remove the line if not wanted
%\photo[64pt]{picture}                         % '64pt' is the height the picture must be resized to and 'picture' is the name of the picture file; optional, remove the line if not wanted
\quote{"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier" - David Foster Wallace}                 % optional, remove the line if not wanted

%\nopagenumbers{}                             % uncomment to suppress automatic page numbering for CVs longer than one page

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
%            content
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{Education}
\cventry{2007--present}{MS, Mathematics (expected 2008)}{University of Illinois at Chicago}{}{\textit{Chicago, IL}}{} %arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2006--2007}{Graduate Study}{Michigan State University}{}{\textit{East Lansing, MI}}{} %arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2001--2006}{BS, Mathematics with High Distinction}{University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign}{}{\textit{Urbana, IL}}{} %arguments 3 to 6 are optional

%\section{Master thesis}
%\cvline{title}{\emph{Title}}
%\cvline{supervisors}{Supervisors}
%\cvline{description}{\small Short thesis abstract}

\section{Experience}
\subsection{Research}
\cventry{2007}{Independent Summer Research}{}{Urbana, IL}{}{- Studied approximations of functions in $L_{p}$ spaces for $0 < p < 1$ \newline{}- Supervised by Richard S. Laugesen}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2005}{Undergraduate Research Course}{Urbana, IL}{}{}{- Studied invariant polynomials in several complex variables on subgroups of the unitary group \newline{}- Supervised by Bruce Reznick and John P. D'Angelo}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\subsection{Teaching}
\cventry{2007--present}{Graduate Teaching Assistant}{University of Illinois at Chicago}{}{}{Supervised an online section of Beginning Algebra}% arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2006--2007}{Graduate Teaching Assistant}{Michigan State University}{}{}{Created and taught stand-alone courses in Business Calculus and Mathematics for Teachers}% arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2004--2006}{Undergraduate Teaching Assistant}{University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign}{}{}{Taught a discussion section for Calculus I}% arguments 3 to 6 are optional

\section{Languages}
\cvlanguage{Icelandic}{reading proficient}{language classes taken at H\'{a}sk\'{o}la \'{I}slands, Reykjav\'{i}k}
\cvlanguage{Italian}{reading proficient}{language classes taken at University of Illinois}
%\cvlanguage{language 3}{Skill level}{Comment}

\section{Computer skills}
\cvcomputer{Math Packages}{Mathematica, Matlab}{Programming Languages}{Java, C++}

\section{Other Interests}
\cvline{}{\small I also enjoy travel, music, and good food and wine.}
%\cvline{hobby 2}{\small Description}
%\cvline{hobby 3}{\small Description}

\closesection{}                   % needed to renewcommands
\renewcommand{\listitemsymbol}{-} % change the symbol for lists

% Publications from a BibTeX file
\nocite{*}
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{publications}       % 'publications' is the name of a BibTeX file

\end{document}

%% end of file `template_en.tex'.

[-- Attachment #3: CV 2007 Travis --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 5822 bytes --]

%% start of file `template_en.tex'.
%% Copyright 2007 Xavier Danaux (xdanaux@gmail.com).
%
% This work may be distributed and/or modified under the
% conditions of the LaTeX Project Public License version 1.3c,
% available at http://www.latex-project.org/lppl/.

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{moderncv}

% moderncv themes
%\moderncvtheme[blue]{casual}                 % optional argument are 'blue' (default), 'orange', 'red', 'green', 'grey' and 'roman' (for roman fonts, instead of sans serif fonts)
\moderncvtheme[green]{classic}                % idem

% character encoding
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}                   % replace by the encoding you are using

% adjust the page margins
\usepackage[scale=0.8]{geometry}
\recomputelengths                             % required when changes are made to page layout lengths

% personal data
\firstname{Travis}
\familyname{McBride}
\title{Curriculum Vitae}               % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\address{\hspace{-1in}851 S. Morgan (M/C 249)}{Chicago, IL 60607-7045}    % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\mobile{mobile 312 218 8840}                    % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\phone{(312) 413-8265}                      % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\fax{312 996 1491}                          % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\email{tmcbri3@uic.edu}                      % optional, remove the line if not wanted
%\extrainfo{additional information (optional)} % optional, remove the line if not wanted
\photo[64pt]{my_photo_smaller}                         % '64pt' is the height the picture must be resized to and 'picture' is the name of the picture file; optional, remove the line if not wanted
\quote{"No man should escape our universities without knowing how little he knows." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer}                 % optional, remove the line if not wanted

%\nopagenumbers{}                             % uncomment to suppress automatic page numbering for CVs longer than one page

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
%            content
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{Education}
\cventry{2006-Present}{PhD Student in Applied Mathematics}{University of Illinois, Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science}{Chicago}{IL}{My interests are PDEs and Mathematical Physics.}
\cventry{1995--1997}{Master's Level Computer Science Courses}{DePaul University}{Chicago} {IL}{Coursework for professional development.}  % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{1991-1993}{MS in Pure Mathematics}{University of Illinois}{Chicago}{IL}{Department of Education Fellow January 1992 - July 1993.}  % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{1986-1990}{BA in Pure Mathematics}{DePaul University}{Chicago}{IL}{Graduated with High Honor.}  % arguments 3 to 6 are optional

%\section{Master thesis}
%\cvline{title}{\emph{Title}}
%\cvline{supervisors}{Supervisors}
%\cvline{description}{\small Short thesis abstract}

\section{Experience}
\subsection{Vocational}
\cventry{2007--Present}{Teaching Assistant}{University of Illinois}{Chicago}{IL}{Lead discussion sections for large lecture courses.}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{2000-2006}{Senior Applications Developer and Analyst}{Trans Union LLC}{Chicago}{IL}{Design, coding, and testing of credit reporting software.}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{1997--2000}{Applications Developer}{Information Resources Inc.}{Chicago}{IL}{Design, coding, and testing of market research applications.}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{1993-1996}{Statistical Analyst}{Kemper Insurance Companies}{Long Grove}{IL}{Statistical report filing to state agencies and the automation these reports.}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
\cventry{Autumn 1991}{Teaching Assistant}{University of Illinois}{Chicago}{IL}{Lead the discussion sections for a large lecture course.}                % arguments 3 to 6 are optional
%\subsection{Miscellaneous}
%\cventry{year--year}{Job title}{Employer}{City}{}{Description line 1\newline{}Description line 2}% arguments 3 to 6 are optional

\section{Teaching Assistant Experience}
\cvlistitem{Introduction to Differential Equations, Fall 2007}
\cvlistitem{Calculus II, Spring 2007}
\cvlistitem{Calculus I, Summer 2007}
\cvlistitem{Pre-Calculus, Fall 1991}

\vspace{.4in}\section{Computer skills}
\cvcomputer{Languages}{MATLAB, C, C++, Pro*C, Oracle PL/SQL, SQL, Korn Shell, JCL, Perl, Expect} {Packages}{MATLAB, Maple}
\cvcomputer{Platforms}{UNIX, TSO/ISPF}  {Databases}{Sybase, Oracle, DB2}
\cvcomputer{Tools}{Word, Excel} {} {}
%\cvcomputer{}{} {}{}

\section{Languages}
\cvlanguage{English}{Fluent}{My native language.}
\cvlanguage{French}{Intermediate}{Speaking, reading, and writing.}
%\cvlanguage{language 3}{Skill level}{Comment}

\section{Interests}
\cvline{Bicycling}{\small My lifelong sport.}
\cvline{Inline Skating}{\small A fun alternative to running.}
\cvline{Guitar}{\small I've been playing for 23 years and I'm in a band.}
\cvline{Photography}{\small Digital photography is my newest hobby.}

\closesection{}                   % needed to renewcommands
\renewcommand{\listitemsymbol}{-} % change the symbol for lists

%\section{Extra 1}
%\cvlistitem{Item 1}
%\cvlistitem{Item 2}
%\cvlistitem[+]{Item 3}            % optional other symbol

%\section{Extra 2}
%\cvlistdoubleitem[\Neutral]{Item 1}{Item 4}
%\cvlistdoubleitem[\Neutral]{Item 2}{Item 5}
%cvlistdoubleitem[\Neutral]{Item 3}{}

% Publications from a BibTeX file
%\nocite{*}
%\bibliographystyle{plain}
%\bibliography{publications}       % 'publications' is the name of a BibTeX file

\end{document}

%% end of file `template_en.tex'.

[-- Attachment #4: CV 2007 Yue --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 6994 bytes --]

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{moderncv}

\moderncvtheme[black]{classic}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

% personal data
\firstname{Yu,}
\familyname{Yue}
\title{University of Illinois at Chicago \newline \small{\texttt{\textbf{Homepage: {\color{web}\weblink{http://imyy.net}}}}}}
%\address{Office 719 SEO\\ 851 S. Morgan St.}{Chicago, IL}
\extrainfo{Office 719 SEO\\ 851 S. Morgan St.\\ Chicago, IL 60606}
\phone{540--yy--yueyu}
\email{yyu9 at uic.edu}
%\photo[64pt]{Yue_Yu}

\newcommand{\up}[1]{\ensuremath{^\textrm{\scriptsize#1}}}

% the ConTeXt symbol
\def\ConTeXt{%
  C%
  \kern-.0333emo%
  \kern-.0333emn%
  \kern-.0667em\TeX%
  \kern-.0333emt}
\definecolor{web}{rgb}{0.2,0.2,0.2}
%\definecolor{web}{rgb}{0.5,0.5,0.5}
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
%            content
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\section{\textbf{Education}}
\cventry{2007--Present}{\textbf{Master of Science in
Mathematics}}{University of Illinois at Chicago}{USA}{}{ - Expected
in SUMMER 2009.\newline - Concentrate in Probability and Statistics,
over all GPA: 4.0/4.0.}
\cventry{2003--2007}{\textbf{Bachelor of Science}}{Fudan
University}{China}{}{ - Major in Mathematics and Applied
Mathematics, last two years GPA: 3.4/4.0.}
\cvitem{---}{\textsc{Undergraduate Thesis}}
\cvitem{title}{\textit{Nonstatistical Methods for Credit Scoring and
Its Applications}} \cvitem{description}{Develop three strategies for
credit scoring: linear programming, genetic algorithm and
back--propagating neural network and three model is built in MATLAB
for real data in order to evaluate their performances.}

\section{\textbf{Academic Background}}
\cvitem{Mathematics}{Calculus, Mathematical Analysis, ODE \& PDE,
Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra, Topology, ......}
\cvitem{Statistics}{Probability Theory, Statistical Theory, Applied Statistical Methods,
Sampling Theory, Linear Statistical Inference, Nonparametric Methods, Statistical Learning, ......}
\cvitem{Computing}{Programming Language Design, Parallel Computing, Data Mining and Prediction, Scientific Software, Numerical Analysis, ......}
\cvitem{Finance}{Managerial Finance, Derivatives Markets, Theory of Interest, ......}

\section{\textbf{Scholarships}}
\cventry{2006}{\textbf{People Scholarship}}{}{Fudan
University}{China}{} \cventry{2003--2006}{\textbf{Basic Science
Scholarship}}{}{Fudan University}{China}{}

\section{\textbf{Undergraduate Contest Awards}}
\cventry{Mar, 2007}{\textbf{Meritorious Winner}}{Interdisciplinary
Contest in Modeling}{}{}{ - Administered by the Consortium for
Mathematics and Its Applications, and sponsored by \newline \ \
SIAM, the NSA, and INFORMS.\newline - Webpage: {\color{web}
\weblink{http://www.comap.com/undergraduate/contests/icm/}}}
\cventry{Dec, 2006}{\textbf{Second Prize}}{China Undergraduate
Mathematical Contest in Modeling}{China}{}{} \cventry{Dec,
2005}{\textbf{Outstanding Award}}{Undergraduate Mathematical
Modeling Contest}{China}{}{ - The \textbf{1st} in East China.}
\cventry{Nov, 2002}{\textbf{Third Prize}}{Chinese Chemical
Olympiad}{China}{}{} \cventry{Oct, 2002}{\textbf{Second
Prize}}{Chinese Mathematical Olympiad}{China}{}{} \cventry{Dec,
2001}{\textbf{First Prize}}{Chinese Physics Olympiad}{China}{}{}
\cvitem{}{}
\cvitem{}{}

\section{\textbf{Experience}}
\subsection{\textbf{Working}}
\cventry{2009}{\textbf{Research Assistant}}{Technology Resources/Statistics, Epidemiology \& Surveillance}{Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Round Lake, IL}{}
{ - Serve as a contractor full time during summer and half time during the semester schedule.\newline
 - Perform under supervision for adverse event/product complaint surveillance; for R\&D animal studies, stability studies, reliability studies, manufacturing quality control studies; and for data analyses for clinical studies and related activities.}
\subsection{\textbf{Research}}
\cventry{2008}{\textbf{Statistical Lab}}{UIC}{}{}{
- Provid statistical consulting service for faculty, staff and graduate students inside or
outside the university.\newline
- Webpage: {\color{web} \weblink{http://www.math.uic.edu/\textasciitilde jyang06/statlab/StatLab.html}}}
\cventry{2007}{\textbf{Parallel Computing Lab}}{Fudan University}{}{}{
- Develop a parallel block reduction method for solving multiscale linear systems, use LAPACK and MPI
to build a package to perform the algorithm and evaluate its performance.}
%\cventry{Oct, 2006}{\textbf{L'Or$\mathbf{\acute{e}}$al e-Strat Challenge}}{China}{}{}{
%- Construct the main framework, and analyze R\&D segment, differentiate strategy for high--end and low--end product.}
\cventry{2004--2006}{\textbf{Mathematical Modeling Team Leader}}{Fudan University}{}{}{
- Lead a group of students with some Mathematical Modeling projects, make a two--hour presentation each season.}
\subsection{\textbf{Academia}}
\cventry{Oct. 2008}{\textbf{Fifth Midwest Database Research
Symposium}}{Chicago, Illinois}{}{}{} \cventry{May.
2008}{\textbf{The 31st Midwest Biopharmaceutical Statistics
Workshop}}{Muncie, Indiana}{}{}{}
\subsection{\textbf{Teaching}}
\cventry{2007--2008}{\textbf{Teaching Assistant}}{Department of Math, Stat, and CS}{\textit{UIC}}{}{
- Teach discussion sections for Math 121 -- Precalculus.}
%\cventry{2004}{\textbf{Volunteer Teacher}}{China}{}{}{
%- Two monthes volunteer teacher for rural ShanDong Province.}

%\cventry{2006}{Translator}{}{}{}{Translated Ananth Grama lecture slides of \emph{Introduction to Parallel Computing}}
%\cventry{2003--2005}{Vice Chairman}{Visions of Science society}{Fudan University}{}{Manage the funds of the society and organize the %society's activities.}\\[-2pt]
%\cventry{2004}{Volunteer teacher}{}{}{}{Two monthes volunteer teacher for rural ShanDong Province.}
%\cventry{2004--2006}{Mathematics tutor}{}{}{}{Teaching seven high school students basic mathematics, answering any of their questions.}

\section{\textbf{Completion Actuarial Exams}}
\cventry{Nov, 2007}{\textbf{Exam P/1}}{Society of Actuaries}{}{}{}
\cventry{May, 2008}{\textbf{Exam FM/1}}{Society of Actuaries}{}{}{}

\section{\textbf{Languages}}
\cvlanguage{Chinese}{Native}{}
\cvlanguage{English}{Fluent}{
TOEFL(PBT) Score: 633/677, Essay rating: 4.5/6.0;\\
GRE Score: Verbal 540/800, Quantitive 800/800;\\
GRE Analytical Writing: 4.0/6.0.
}

\section{\textbf{Computer skills}}
\cvcomputer{OS}{Linux/Unix, Windows, DOS} {programming}{C/C++, Java, MPI,
Python, SQL}
\cvcomputer{job-related}{SAS, SAS Enterprise Guide, Minitab}{typography}{\LaTeX, Microsoft Office}
\cvcomputer{scientific}{Matlab, Maple, R, Lingo} {}{}

\section{\textbf{Scientific Interests}}
\cvlistitem{Statistical Learning}
\cvlistitem{Time Series Analysis}
\cvlistitem{Spatial Statistics}
\cvlistitem{Stochastic Process}
\cvlistitem{Data/Text Mining}
%\cvlistitem{Boundary Value Problems}
%\cvlistitem{Numerical Analysis}
%\cvlistitem{Parallel Computing}
\end{document}

@ 2012-07-07 11:58           ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-07-07 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

>> > [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.
>>
>> Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
>> your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
>> design?. I tried that once and the result was ugly, there is a lot of
>> extra work necesary to make it look fancy and modern.
>
> May be relevant to look at this thread from the list:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/29926

So package 'isodoc' seems to be another (maybe simpler?) option.
However, the thread proves again that it is not trivial to
do-it-yourself. but there are quite a lot of options, it seems.

--

@ 2012-07-08 10:34             ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-07-08 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi all,

Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

>>> Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
>>> your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
>>> design?. I tried that once and the result was ugly, there is a lot of
>>> extra work necesary to make it look fancy and modern.
>>
>> May be relevant to look at this thread from the list:
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/29926
>
> So package 'isodoc' seems to be another (maybe simpler?) option. However,
> the thread proves again that it is not trivial to do-it-yourself. but there
> are quite a lot of options, it seems.

This is still the solution I'm using -- however, not often sending postal
mails...

The only drawback there is that we need to tangle the buffer, and C-c C-c the
resulting LaTeX file in AUCTeX mode to get the PDF.

IIRC, Eric planed to look at the problem so that we could stay in Org for
making the whole loop.

Best regards,
Seb

--