* [mobileorg] Android sync failed
@ 2010-06-16  6:21 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-06-16  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just got my new android based phone (HTC Desire) and the very first thing
I'm interesting in getting my org-based brainswap onto the android. I
installed Mats mobileorg program for android (btw., I hate the word "app",
sorry ;) ) version 0.4 Alpha
I followed the manuals and howtos, however, I can't get it to sync. I am
aware that the url needs to contain the "/index.org" part.
For first test I set-up a account on mydisk.se.

I rewrote the password and login name several times. I noticed that a wrong
passwort directly send me a "sync failed" whereas for the correct password
it needs some seconds to come up with the same error message. Thus, I think
the login into webdav works out correct. I can log-in via a direct webdav
client on my android.  Thus. technically it should be ok.

I tried several different org-files from very complex to just very simple
(one link to another file, which contains a single header).
I played around with the file permissions but without success.

Is there any thing else I could check? How could I get more details on what
actually failed. Is there a way to get more output via the usb debugging
function?

Any ideas are greetly welcome.

Torsten

* Re: [mobileorg] Android sync failed
@ 2010-06-16 10:34 ` Holger Wenzel
From: Holger Wenzel @ 2010-06-16 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten,

> I just got my new android based phone (HTC Desire) and the very first thing
> I'm interesting in getting my org-based brainswap onto the android. I
> installed Mats mobileorg program for android (btw., I hate the word "app",
> sorry ;) ) version 0.4 Alpha
> I followed the manuals and howtos, however, I can't get it to sync. I am
> aware that the url needs to contain the "/index.org" part.
> For first test I set-up a account on mydisk.se.
>
> I rewrote the password and login name several times. I noticed that a wrong
> passwort directly send me a "sync failed" whereas for the correct password
> it needs some seconds to come up with the same error message. Thus, I think
> the login into webdav works out correct. I can log-in via a direct webdav
> client on my android.  Thus. technically it should be ok.
>
> I tried several different org-files from very complex to just very simple
> (one link to another file, which contains a single header).
> I played around with the file permissions but without success.
>
> Is there any thing else I could check? How could I get more details on what
> actually failed. Is there a way to get more output via the usb debugging
> function?
>
> Any ideas are greetly welcome.

I use mydrive.ch,. I have the index.org file at the top-level directory
there and have on my android phone the URL in the Connectivity settings
"http://webdav.mydrive.ch/index.org"

I remember having to fiddle a little until I got it working - but
nothing bad.

Holger

* Re: Re: [mobileorg] Android sync failed
@ 2010-06-17  1:14   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-06-17  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Wenzel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Holger,

> I remember having to fiddle a little until I got it working - but
> nothing bad.
Thanks for the answer. I tried again and the only differences (beside of
different server), I saw in your and in my own set-up was the usage of
https vs. http. I tried to use http know and it seems to sync (at least
there is no error message). However, after that all I have is just a
empty screen. Files on webdav are not empty ;).
I will check again maybe I just created some error during testing and
fiddeling.

Can someone confirm that the present mobileorg work or cannot work with
https?

Furthermore, another thing I noticed, when I fire-up org-mobile-push, I
get the following message-log:

Agenda written to Org file /home/torsten/org/mobileorg/agendas.org
Creating agendas...done
Saving all Org-mode buffers...
(No files need saving)
Saving all Org-mode buffers... done
Copying files...
OVERVIEW
(No changes need to be saved)
Writing index file...
byte-code: Wrong type argument: listp, "TODO"

as you can see there seems to be an problem within the index-file.
Any idea what is going wrong there ?

Thanks for helping

Totti

* Re: [Orgmode] Re: [mobileorg] Android sync failed
@ 2010-06-17  1:35     ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-06-17  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten, the issue with https appears to be within Android, I have waited
too long to add that information to the wiki so I'll do it now.   Can you
give me an example of the index.org file that was generated by
org-mobile-push (or is it empty due to the error message from the push?)
that should help in determining why nothing comes up.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-06-17  2:26       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-06-17  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matthew,

the content of my index.org looks like this

[[work.org]]
[[agendas.org]]

guess rather standard and normal

I will check further about possible errors. As I said, I pushed a lot of
buttons and turned a lot of knobs. Maybe one did create another problem now.

As for the error message and my problem it might be a problem within
org.el suggested in the thread

"[Orgmode] org-mobile-push error with no headings" from Erik

Thus, maybe you are totally innocent. ;)

BTW., I cloned the android client sources. I'm always short in time and
my Java knowledge is a bit rusty but since I like to learn about the
android internals and since orgmobile on android is the most interesting
topic for me I thought I can give you some assistance. If there is any
task you like to see performed, please let me know.

Thanks for helping

Totti

CC. Which envrionment did you use to develop the android client? I hope
and guess it was based around the emacs editor. Do you have any good
sources how to set-up emacs for android dev?

@ 2010-06-17 15:55         ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-06-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That's really odd looking... my index.org file looks different:

* [[file:agendas.org][Agenda Views]]
* [[file:notes.org][notes.org]]

So I'm guessing that would be your problem

I use emacs of course to write my code but I don't do anything with android
through emacs... I just stick to the command line tools that ship with the
SDK.   Right now I'm focusing on Synchronization and gaining the ability to
edit the contents of files... I guess the biggest weakness in the system
right now is the user experience and general look and feel, if you are
looking for some way to help out :)

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Torsten Wagner

@ 2010-06-17 16:30         ` Erik L. Arneson
From: Erik L. Arneson @ 2010-06-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
> As for the error message and my problem it might be a problem within
> org.el suggested in the thread
>
> "[Orgmode] org-mobile-push error with no headings" from Erik
>
> Thus, maybe you are totally innocent. ;)

I still haven't had time to track down what's causing the error, but
suffice to say that the org-mode upgrade somehow broke `org-mobile-push'
and I haven't been able to use MobileOrg for a week or so now.

I'd grumble, but instead I should track down the bug.  Maybe tomorrow!

--
Erik Arneson <dybbuk-qPb3x58jdZkAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
  GPG Key ID: 1024D/62DA1D25