* Gnuplot best practice?
@ 2010-08-06 23:11 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-08-06 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been hunting for some info on gnuplot and wondered if there is a
suggested "best practice" for using it and org...

I've just used what worg has (#+PLOT: ...)
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-plot.php

But several discussions seem to show a lot of people using embedded source
instead (#+begin_src gnuplot...)?
- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg26014.html
- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg27861.html
- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg28119.html

Is it better to choose one over the other? I'm guessing it's easier to find
help with the babel method since the lingo is the same vs. needing to know
the discrepancies used by org-plot to translate into gnuplot?

Thanks for suggestions,
John

* Re: Gnuplot best practice?
@ 2010-08-07  0:53 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-08-07  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 6 August 2010 16:11, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hunting for some info on gnuplot and wondered if there is a
> suggested "best practice" for using it and org...
> I've just used what worg has (#+PLOT: ...)
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-plot.php
>
> But several discussions seem to show a lot of people using embedded source
> instead (#+begin_src gnuplot...)?
> - http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg26014.html
> - http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg27861.html
> - http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg28119.html
> Is it better to choose one over the other? I'm guessing it's easier to find
> help with the babel method since the lingo is the same vs. needing to know
> the discrepancies used by org-plot to translate into gnuplot?

I have been using both org-plot/gnuplot and ob-gnuplot lately. I found
#+PLOT directives very useful to get a few quick interactive plots
while I am playing with things. But for publication quality plots I
find org-babel much more flexible and capable. Also org-plot has
certain limitations, e.g. it can't make plots with error bars.

> Thanks for suggestions,
> John

GL

--