* Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + company firewall
@ 2010-10-21 18:33 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-10-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved*
it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so many
neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access while
at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded in
using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have
simply figured it was due to firewall.

Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their webmail
extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer
imap, though, but apparently it's not possible).

My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that
emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is
doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages that
way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet
imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet
pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure where to ask this as it's somewhat of a
network question... perhaps I should post to Arch Linux forums, though on
the other hand perhaps avid email users here will have been through
something like this?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

[1] http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html

* Re: Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + company firewall
@ 2010-10-22  4:52 ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-10-22  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved*
> it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so many
> neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access while
> at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded in
> using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have
> simply figured it was due to firewall.
>
> Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their webmail
> extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer
> imap, though, but apparently it's not possible).
>
> My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that
> emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is
> doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages that
> way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet
> imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet
> pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect.

It looks like at you work place they are blocking imaps and pops
ports. I think you should be contacting System/Network Admin at your
office for this.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + company firewall
@ 2010-10-22 13:12   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-10-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com>wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved*
> > it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so
> many
> > neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access
> while
> > at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded
> in
> > using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have
> > simply figured it was due to firewall.
> >
> > Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their
> webmail
> > extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer
> > imap, though, but apparently it's not possible).
> >
> > My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that
> > emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is
> > doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages
> that
> > way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet
> > imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet
> > pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect.
> >

> It looks like at you work place they are blocking imaps and pops
> ports. I think you should be contacting System/Network Admin at your
> office for this.

True... though this is why I referenced the webmail extension. It works. I
wondered if there was anything like that for other types of email systems.
At a company of 70k employees world-wide and 10k at my location... I'm not
planning on asking them to open up some ports for me :)

John

@ 2010-10-24 19:12 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-10-24 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode