On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Noorul Islam K M wrote: > John Hendy writes: > > > Hi, > > > > > > I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved* > > it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so > many > > neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access > while > > at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded > in > > using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have > > simply figured it was due to firewall. > > > > Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their > webmail > > extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer > > imap, though, but apparently it's not possible). > > > > My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that > > emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is > > doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages > that > > way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet > > imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet > > pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect. > > > > It looks like at you work place they are blocking imaps and pops > ports. I think you should be contacting System/Network Admin at your > office for this. > > True... though this is why I referenced the webmail extension. It works. I wondered if there was anything like that for other types of email systems. At a company of 70k employees world-wide and 10k at my location... I'm not planning on asking them to open up some ports for me :) John > Thanks and Regards > Noorul > >