From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + company firewall
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:33:59 -0500	[thread overview]

I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved*
it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so many
neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access while
at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded in
using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have
simply figured it was due to firewall.

Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their webmail
extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer
imap, though, but apparently it's not possible).

My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that
emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is
doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages that
way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet
imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet
pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure where to ask this as it's somewhat of a
network question... perhaps I should post to Arch Linux forums, though on
the other hand perhaps avid email users here will have been through
something like this?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

[1] http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html