From: Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com>
To: Marcin Antczak <marcin.antczak@neutrico-themes.pl>
Cc: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Patch] Few small fixes to html header
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:00:04 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2014-03-28 11:16, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> Rick Frankel writes:
>
> On 2014-03-27 15:57, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> I've attached patch below, but I'm affraid that there is something
> wrong
> with indentation.
> I'm not sure if there is problem with my settings or just entire
> ox-html.el is indented badly.
>
> Unfortunately, ox-html is indented with a combination of tabs and
> spaces, you can turn on whitespace-mode to see. I'm not sure why your
> saving the file has touched areas you didn't edit. Did you do a
> re-indent or have a whitespace-cleanup or convert-tabs-to-spaces hook
> turned on?
>
> Why ox-html is indented in a way that doesn't follow guidelines
> described on Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions?

good question. I think because it's actually a very old file.

> Could we fix it?

Another good question. Bastien- Do you think it makes sense to do a
whitespace cleanup only commit of ox-html to master?

> My patch fixes HTML meta data produced on export by ox-html.el
>
> 1. Meta charset definition should be set before title as document
> title can contain
> some unicode symbols etc.
>
> But it's still bug.
>
> 1. Most modern browsers fallback to UTF-8 currently.
> 2. Charset is often set by server content type.
>
> So, this is why you can see your example rendered correctly.
> But there could be a case where it will not render properly.

Not true. This file renders incorrectly when opened from the file
system in ie 9 and chrome:

#+BEGIN_SRC html
<head>
<title>☑</title>
</head>
#+END_SRC

But this one renders correctly:
#+BEGIN_SRC html
<head>
<title>☑</title>
</head>
#+END_SRC

> From logical point of view - charset should be first. And it's in most
> html frameworks such as HTML5 Boilerplate, Twitter Bootstrap etc.

That may be, but it's a stylistic issue, not a bug. My read of the
html dtd does not specify the order of elements in the head. Can you
show me an example where the order of the elements causes incorrect
display of the title?

> 2. Added viewport declaration as described here:
>
> https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/v4.3.0/doc/html.md
>
> here:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html
>
> I don't believe it's appropriate to have as a default in ox-html as
> the current exporter makes no attempt at "responsive design". If you
> would like your exported documents to include it, you can use the
> HTML_HEAD_EXTRA property on a per-file basis, or customize the
> variable `org-html-head-extra'.
>
> Ok.
>
> 3. Fixed unnecessary "\n" at the end of Description meta.
> 4. Removed unnecessary spaces in meta tags.
>
> Are these bugs or simply stylistic cleanup?
>
> 3. This is a bug for me. Meta shouldn't render closing > in new
> line.

Does it cause output which is incorrectly displayed? Otherwise it's
not really a bug, but i will look at changing it the next time i need
to touch the file.

I'm worried about touching (4) w/o tests, as sometimes attributes are
concatenated, and removing a leading whitespace could cause breakage.

While source whitespace and output formatting are annoying, our
approach to modifications of this (quite old) file has been to not
make changes which don't materially affect functionality or fix bugs
(the rule of least damage :).

rick