* Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-07 17:12 Daniel Clemente
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2007-11-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   consider this test of quotation styles:

"ASCII double", 'ASCII simple',
"English" «French» „German" 「Japanese」

   Now make each word bold (but not the quotation signs):

"*ASCII double*", '*ASCII simple*',
"*English*" «*French*» „*German*" 「*Japanese*」

   At exportation, the syntax marks of the second line aren't
translated. That's because only " and ' are listed at
org-emphasis-regexp-components as „pre" and „post" components.

   So: can org-emphasis-regexp-components expanded to include all
quotation marks and not just " and ' ? Maybe Emacs offers some
character class for that and then we don't have to write a list of
characters.

   I would like this because I recently presented a thesis written
with org in which some org-syntax still was visible at some places
:-)... It was at German and I had written sentences like:

... (z. B. die Aussagen „/Vegetarisch/ zu sein ist gut" und „Der
/Vegetarismus/ ist gut"), ...

   Grüße,

Daniel

* Re: Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-07 18:16 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-11-07 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This time to the whole list.  (Sorry Daniel.)

I'm starting to think this needs a real fix before the work-arounds
drive Carsten round the bend, but I don't know how.  Could it be done
sorta like with links?

Say:
 [*|This is [/|really] important!].  No. [*/_|Really!]

Just a thought.

Edd

@ 2007-11-07 18:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-07 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Daniel Clemente" <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

>    So: can org-emphasis-regexp-components expanded to include all
> quotation marks and not just " and ' ?

This variable is customizable.

--
Bastien

* Re: Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-07 23:13   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-11-07 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/07/2007 10:16 AM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> Say:
>  [*|This is [/|really] important!].  No. [*/_|Really!]

in use @</u>@</i>.

I say bring the simple, single-character markup back to the original
incarnation:  *one* word /only/.

Dan

* Re: Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-08  3:45     ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-11-08  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 7, 2007 5:13 PM, Daniel J. Sinder <djsinder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2007 10:16 AM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> > Say:
> >  [*|This is [/|really] important!].  No. [*/_|Really!]

> in use @</u>@</i>.

I don't export much myself.  I like it to be readable (and hopefully
pretty) in the org-mode buffer.  I've never considered vanilla html
code readable.  It's pretty nice how font lock handles the current
way.  It just seems to have too many corner cases.  I was trying to
think of something that could present well in the org buffer using
font-lock and/or whatever magic links and timestamps use while also
exporting well to all the exportable formats, including but not
limited to html.  I am assuming that font-lock can handle matching
braces.

My first thought was to use something like *[text-n-stuff] but though
that was ugly.  It struck me that links do magic with [hidden|visible]
and though that the markup could be in the hidden area and affect the
face of the visible area.  I figure someone will eventually ask for
nesting so I suggested it upfront figure it would be shot down
immediately for technical limitations or be consider for future
enhancement.

> I say bring the simple, single-character markup back to the original
> incarnation:  *one* word /only/.

Well, that would fix the corner cases.  I'm not sure that's what most
people would want.  I'd guess most  people using the feature would
prefer to keep the text formating with its current warts rather than
markup stuff seem to be an unruly stepchild in the org-mode tool kit
and it might be worth fixing with some finality, even if it is to go
back to just go back to single word markup.

Edd

* Re: Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-13  7:12     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-13  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

On  8Nov2007, at 12:13 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> On 11/07/2007 10:16 AM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
>> Say:
>>  [*|This is [/|really] important!].  No. [*/_|Really!]

> in use @</u>@</i>.
>
> I say bring the simple, single-character markup back to the original
> incarnation:  *one* word /only/.

Well, maybe not quite that - but if anything, emphasis is going to be
de-scoped, not enhanced.  I will very likely remove the possibility
to do stacked emphasis like /*bold and italic*/, and I will also
remove the possibility to do *bold text with /embedded/ italics*.  I
did some checking, Bastien already does not allow for the latter in
org-export-latex, and I think not even muse does.

- Carsten

* Re: Emphasis and bold in quotation
@ 2007-11-13  7:15 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-13  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On  7Nov2007, at 6:12 PM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

> Hi,
>    consider this test of quotation styles:
>
> "ASCII double", 'ASCII simple',
> "English" «French» „German" 「Japanese」
>
>    Now make each word bold (but not the quotation signs):
>
> "*ASCII double*", '*ASCII simple*',
> "*English*" «*French*» „*German*" 「*Japanese*」
>
>    At exportation, the syntax marks of the second line aren't
> translated. That's because only " and ' are listed at
> org-emphasis-regexp-components as „pre" and „post" components.
>
>    So: can org-emphasis-regexp-components expanded to include all
> quotation marks and not just " and ' ? Maybe Emacs offers some
> character class for that and then we don't have to write a list of
> characters.

As Bastien already said, you can configure org-emphasis-regexp-
components and add these yourself.  If there was a character class
for them, I would use it, but I don't think there is.  The problem is
that many of these characters are non-ascii and I am fearing the
chaos when I try to insert a specific representation in org.el.  That
is bound to break on either XEmacs, or mule emacs or unicode emacs or
uft-8 of whatever.  So please just add these characters yourself, go
through the customize interface in your own Emacs, that should take
care of it.

- Carsten