* Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22  6:20 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey list,

I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22  6:26 ` Russell Adams
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-07-22  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
> with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
> it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
> going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
> lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
> orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?

I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
that does reporting against plain text files.

I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.

Thanks.

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22  6:39   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2010-07-22  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500

Russell> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very
Russell> flexible and because it is text based, I can use version
Russell> control and emacs.

Do you do invoices as well?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6

* Re: Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22  6:46     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-07-22  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:39:54AM +0200, Gour wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500
>
> Russell> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very
> Russell> flexible and because it is text based, I can use version
> Russell> control and emacs.
>
> Do you do invoices as well?

I do not invoice from Ledger.

I use a web based system called Freshbooks, and I'd recommend
them.

Ledger comes with few output formats, it is really just a reporting
tool. I built some perl scripts that create expense reports in Latex
from ledger output combined with scanned receipt images, but not
invoicing.

Thanks.

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22  9:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-22  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500, Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> > Hey list,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
> > with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
> > it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
> > going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
> > lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
> > orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?
>
> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
> that does reporting against plain text files.
>
> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.

and, with org-babel, you can place your ledger entries in an org
file...  I have a simple ob-ledger implementation which doesn't do
tangling yet (as I don't yet know how to provide this level of
support) but it does work for single blocks of ledger entries.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22 13:53   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-07-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>> Hey list,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
>> with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
>> it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
>> going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
>> lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
>> orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?
>
> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
> that does reporting against plain text files.
>
> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.

+1 for ledger. It comes bundled with a nice emacs mode (ledger.el) that
makes entering data quite simple.

Matt

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22 17:06     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-22 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500, Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>> > Hey list,
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
>> > with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
>> > it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
>> > going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
>> > lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
>> > orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?
>>
>> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
>> that does reporting against plain text files.
>>
>> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
>> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.
>
> and, with org-babel, you can place your ledger entries in an org
> file...  I have a simple ob-ledger implementation which doesn't do
> tangling yet (as I don't yet know how to provide this level of
> support) but it does work for single blocks of ledger entries.

Tangling does not require *any* language specific support.  Since the
integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle
just fine.  For example the following minimal org file tangles a code
block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh"

* top

#+begin_src schulte :tangle eric.sh
  hello world
#+end_src

It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger
integration.

Best -- Eric

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22 20:30       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:06:30 -0700, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> >> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
> >> that does reporting against plain text files.
> >>
> >> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
> >> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.
> >
> > and, with org-babel, you can place your ledger entries in an org
> > file...  I have a simple ob-ledger implementation which doesn't do
> > tangling yet (as I don't yet know how to provide this level of
> > support) but it does work for single blocks of ledger entries.
>
> Tangling does not require *any* language specific support.  Since the
> integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle
> just fine.  For example the following minimal org file tangles a code
> block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh"

Yes, thanks, I figured this out on the way home (the advantage of a
long commute is time to play!) before I got your email.  The tangling
works like a charm.  What's even better is that ability to specify the
tangle property as an org property which only affects code blocks
within a certain heading!  Fantastic.

> It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger
> integration.

Attached is my simple, linux only, org-babel solution and an example
org file which uses it.  Note, I've still not had a chance to look at
the ob-template in Worg so I'm sure my ob-ledger file could be
improved...

Thanks again all those who have contributed to babel!

eric

[-- Attachment #2: ob-ledger.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2544 bytes --]

;;; ob-ledger.el --- org-babel functions for ledger evaluation

;; Copyright (c) 2009 Eric S Fraga

;; based on code by
;; Copyright (C) 2009 Eric Schulte

;; Author: Eric Schulte
;; Homepage: http://orgmode.org
;; Version: 0.01

;;; License:

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
;; any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the
;; Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
;; Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

;;; Commentary:

;; Org-Babel support for evaluating ledger entries.
;;
;; This differs from most standard languages in that
;;
;; 1) there is no such thing as a "session" in ledger
;;
;; 2) we are generally only going to return output from the leger program
;;
;; 3) we are adding the "cmdline" header argument
;;
;; 4) there are no variables

;;; Code:
;; (require 'org-babel)

;;(org-babel-add-interpreter "ledger")

;;(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("ledger" "ledger"))

(defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ledger
  '((:results . "output") (:cmdline . "bal"))
  "Default arguments to use when evaluating a ledger source block.")

(defun org-babel-execute:ledger (body params)
  "Execute a block of Ledger entries with org-babel.  This function is
called by `org-babel-execute-src-block'."
  (message "executing Ledger source code block")
  (let ((result-params (split-string (or (cdr (assoc :results params)) "")))
	(cmdline (cdr (assoc :cmdline params)))
        (in-file (make-temp-file "org-babel-ledger"))
	(out-file (make-temp-file "org-babel-ledger-output"))
	)
    (with-temp-file in-file (insert body))
    (message (concat "ledger -f " in-file " " cmdline))
    (with-output-to-string (shell-command (concat "ledger -f " in-file " " cmdline " > " out-file)))
    (with-temp-buffer (insert-file-contents out-file) (buffer-string))
    ))

(defun org-babel-prep-session:ledger (session params)
  (error "Ledger does not support sessions"))

(provide 'ob-ledger)
;;; org-babel-ledger.el ends here

[-- Attachment #3: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 3357 bytes --]

* ledger test
*** income and expenses
    :PROPERTIES:
    :tangle:   account.ledger
    :END:
    The property for this heading specifies where the tangled output of
    the ledger code blocks in what follows should end up.
***** income
      The first set of entries relates to income, either monthly pay or
      interest, all typically going into my bank account.

#+begin_src ledger
2010/01/01 * Starting balance
  assets:bank:savings  £1300.00
  income:starting balances
2010/07/22 * Got paid
  assets:bank:chequing  £1000.00
  income:salary
2010/07/31 * Interest on bank savings
  assets:bank:savings  £3.53
  income:interest
2010/07/31 * Transfer savings
  assets:bank:savings  £250.00
  assets:bank:chequing
2010/08/01 got paid again
  assets:bank:chequing  £1000.00
  income:salary
#+end_src
***** expenses
      The following entries relate to personal expenses (rent and food).

#+begin_src ledger
2010/07/23 Rent
  expenses:rent  £500.00
  assets:bank:chequing
2010/07/24 Food
  expenses:food  £150.00
  assets:bank:chequing
#+end_src

*** Financial summary
    Assuming you have tangled the ledger entries (=C-c C-v t=), you can now
    perform all kinds of calculations
***** overall summary
      The overall balance of your account and expenditure with a breakdown
      according to category:

#+begin_src ledger :cmdline -s bal :results value
!include /home/ucecesf/s/test/account.ledger
#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
           £2653.53  assets:bank
           £1100.00    chequing
           £1553.53    savings
            £650.00  expenses
            £150.00    food
            £500.00    rent
          £-3303.53  income
             £-3.53    interest
          £-2000.00    salary
          £-1300.00    starting balances
#+end_example

***** monthly register
      You can also generate a monthly register by executing the following:

#+begin_src ledger :cmdline -M -w reg
!include /home/ucecesf/s/test/account.ledger
#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
2010/01/01  - 2010/01/31                        assets:bank:savings                                 £1300.00              £1300.00
                                                income:starting balances                           £-1300.00                      0
2010/07/01  - 2010/07/31                        assets:bank:chequing                                 £100.00               £100.00
                                                assets:bank:savings                                  £253.53               £353.53
                                                expenses:food                                        £150.00               £503.53
                                                expenses:rent                                        £500.00              £1003.53
                                                income:interest                                       £-3.53              £1000.00
                                                income:salary                                      £-1000.00                      0
2010/08/01  - 2010/08/01                        assets:bank:chequing                                £1000.00              £1000.00
                                                income:salary                                      £-1000.00                      0
#+end_example

@ 2010-07-22 20:43         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:06:30 -0700, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Tangling does not require *any* language specific support.  Since the
>> integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle
>> just fine.  For example the following minimal org file tangles a code
>> block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh"
>
> Yes, thanks, I figured this out on the way home (the advantage of a
> long commute is time to play!) before I got your email.  The tangling
> works like a charm.  What's even better is that ability to specify the
> tangle property as an org property which only affects code blocks
> within a certain heading!  Fantastic.

Great to hear.

>> It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger
>> integration.
>
> Attached is my simple, linux only, org-babel solution and an example
> org file which uses it.  Note, I've still not had a chance to look at
> the ob-template in Worg so I'm sure my ob-ledger file could be
> improved...

After a quick scan your ob-ledger.el file looks great.  I wouldn't feel
obligated to add all of the functionality listed in the template.  Many
of our language files (e.g. dot, sass, etc...) are very simple.  I think
one of the big wins of our new setup is that language support can be
added in very small increments (e.g. [1]).

Please do let me know when you think this is stable enough for inclusion
into Org-mode.

Cheers -- Eric

> Thanks again all those who have contributed to babel!
>
> eric

Footnotes:
[1]  as a mostly unrelated sidebar I've recently started using the
     following 4-line function in place of an ob-javascript.el, for
     embedding javascript in exported html

# Allow for exportation of JS code blocks into html
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
  ;; just to let us export the js directly into html
  (defun org-babel-execute:js (body params)
    (format "<script type=\"text/javascript\">
  <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/\n%s\n/*]]>*///-->
  </script>\n" body))
#+end_src

Which allows js blocks in an org-mode document like the following to be
exported using the appropriate HTML script tags.

# play with the url of my homepage -- HTML5
#+begin_src js :results html :exports results
  var delay   = 150;
  var index   = 0;
  var word    = "eschulte/";
  var forward = true;
  function withTlda(str, ind){
      return str.slice(0,ind)+"~"+str.slice(ind,str.length)}
  function step(){
      window.history.replaceState("", "", "/"+withTlda(word, index));
      if(forward) index++; else index--;
      if(index == (word.length-1) || index == 0) forward = !forward;
      if(forward && index == 1)
          setTimeout('step()', Math.floor(Math.random()*20000));
      else
          setTimeout('step()', delay);}
  step();
#+end_src

* Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
@ 2010-07-22 22:49           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-22 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:43:00 -0700, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

> > Attached is my simple, linux only, org-babel solution and an example
> > org file which uses it.  Note, I've still not had a chance to look at
> > the ob-template in Worg so I'm sure my ob-ledger file could be
> > improved...
> >

> After a quick scan your ob-ledger.el file looks great.  I wouldn't feel
> obligated to add all of the functionality listed in the template.  Many
> of our language files (e.g. dot, sass, etc...) are very simple.  I think
> one of the big wins of our new setup is that language support can be
> added in very small increments (e.g. [1]).
>
> Please do let me know when you think this is stable enough for inclusion
> into Org-mode.

Well, it's stable enough in that I wrote it more than 6 months ago and
it hasn't changed in that time other than to update to the new babel
layout.  I don't intend to do anything on it immediately in any case
as it works for my use case!

In other words, I'd be happy if it were included in org-mode at your
discretion.

Thanks,
eric
--

@ 2010-07-23 16:29             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Eric!

This has now been included in Org-mode.

If you get a chance, it would be great to add ob-ledger to the list of
supported languages on Worg, and if possible to add an ob-ledger
specific file with a brief usage example -- see existing
language-specific files linked to from the language table for examples.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.php

Many Thanks -- Eric

@ 2010-07-24 23:01               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-24 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)