From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:43:00 -0700	[thread overview]

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:06:30 -0700, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Tangling does not require *any* language specific support.  Since the
>> integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle
>> just fine.  For example the following minimal org file tangles a code
>> block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh"
>
> Yes, thanks, I figured this out on the way home (the advantage of a
> long commute is time to play!) before I got your email.  The tangling
> works like a charm.  What's even better is that ability to specify the
> tangle property as an org property which only affects code blocks
> within a certain heading!  Fantastic.

Great to hear.

>> It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger
>> integration.
>
> Attached is my simple, linux only, org-babel solution and an example
> org file which uses it.  Note, I've still not had a chance to look at
> the ob-template in Worg so I'm sure my ob-ledger file could be
> improved...

After a quick scan your ob-ledger.el file looks great.  I wouldn't feel
obligated to add all of the functionality listed in the template.  Many
of our language files (e.g. dot, sass, etc...) are very simple.  I think
one of the big wins of our new setup is that language support can be
added in very small increments (e.g. [1]).

Please do let me know when you think this is stable enough for inclusion
into Org-mode.

Cheers -- Eric

> Thanks again all those who have contributed to babel!
>
> eric

Footnotes:
[1]  as a mostly unrelated sidebar I've recently started using the
     following 4-line function in place of an ob-javascript.el, for
     embedding javascript in exported html

# Allow for exportation of JS code blocks into html
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
  ;; just to let us export the js directly into html
  (defun org-babel-execute:js (body params)
    (format "<script type=\"text/javascript\">
  <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/\n%s\n/*]]>*///-->
  </script>\n" body))
#+end_src

Which allows js blocks in an org-mode document like the following to be
exported using the appropriate HTML script tags.

# play with the url of my homepage -- HTML5
#+begin_src js :results html :exports results
  var delay   = 150;
  var index   = 0;
  var word    = "eschulte/";
  var forward = true;
  function withTlda(str, ind){
      return str.slice(0,ind)+"~"+str.slice(ind,str.length)}
  function step(){
      window.history.replaceState("", "", "/"+withTlda(word, index));
      if(forward) index++; else index--;
      if(index == (word.length-1) || index == 0) forward = !forward;
      if(forward && index == 1)
          setTimeout('step()', Math.floor(Math.random()*20000));
      else
          setTimeout('step()', delay);}
  step();
#+end_src