On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:06:30 -0700, "Eric Schulte" wrote: > > Eric S Fraga writes: > > > On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500, Russell Adams wrote: > >> > >> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote: > >> > Hey list, > >> > > >> > I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting > >> > with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think > >> > it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is > >> > going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like > >> > lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my > >> > orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas? > >> > >> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool > >> that does reporting against plain text files. > >> > >> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible > >> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs. > > > > and, with org-babel, you can place your ledger entries in an org > > file... I have a simple ob-ledger implementation which doesn't do > > tangling yet (as I don't yet know how to provide this level of > > support) but it does work for single blocks of ledger entries. > > Tangling does not require *any* language specific support. Since the > integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle > just fine. For example the following minimal org file tangles a code > block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh" Yes, thanks, I figured this out on the way home (the advantage of a long commute is time to play!) before I got your email. The tangling works like a charm. What's even better is that ability to specify the tangle property as an org property which only affects code blocks within a certain heading! Fantastic. > It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger > integration. Attached is my simple, linux only, org-babel solution and an example org file which uses it. Note, I've still not had a chance to look at the ob-template in Worg so I'm sure my ob-ledger file could be improved... Thanks again all those who have contributed to babel! eric