emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
       [not found] <544f71eb.0aadc20a.595f.70e0@mx.google.com>
@ 2015-03-12  6:40 ` Ben Finney
  2015-03-17 21:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2015-03-12  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18870

I confirm this behaviour.

With a plain text terminal, a clock report shows like:

|-------------------+------------------------------+--------+------+------|
| willow-it.org     | *File time*                  | *5:25* |      |    
 |
|                   | Willow IT                    | 5:25   |      |    
 |
|                   | \emsp Administration         |        | 3:44 |    
 |
|                   | \emsp\emsp Induction         |        |      |
3:44 |
|                   | \emsp Training & development |        | 1:41 |    
 |
|                   | \emsp\emsp Odoo research     |        |      |
1:41 |
|-------------------+------------------------------+--------+------+------|

The "\emsp" should be space characters (of some kind; either U+0020 SPC
or U+2003 EM SPACE) with correct alignment for the character width.
Displaying literal "\emsp" is a regression and should not happen.

If having a U+2003 EM SPACE character is desirable, then instead of
LaTeX-specific markup (which is useless in the text buffer), that
character should appear directly in the data so it is useful for
display.

Thanks for working on Org Mode.

-- 
Ben Finney

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-12  6:40 ` bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report Ben Finney
@ 2015-03-17 21:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-17 21:47     ` Ben Finney
  2016-08-22  6:18     ` bug#18870: " Sriram Karra
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-17 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Finney; +Cc: 18870

Hello,

Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> I confirm this behaviour.
>
> With a plain text terminal, a clock report shows like:
>
> |-------------------+------------------------------+--------+------+------|
> | willow-it.org     | *File time*                  | *5:25* |      |    
>  |
> |                   | Willow IT                    | 5:25   |      |    
>  |
> |                   | \emsp Administration         |        | 3:44 |    
>  |
> |                   | \emsp\emsp Induction         |        |      |
> 3:44 |
> |                   | \emsp Training & development |        | 1:41 |    
>  |
> |                   | \emsp\emsp Odoo research     |        |      |
> 1:41 |
> |-------------------+------------------------------+--------+------+------|
>
> The "\emsp" should be space characters (of some kind; either U+0020 SPC
> or U+2003 EM SPACE) with correct alignment for the character width.
> Displaying literal "\emsp" is a regression and should not happen.

This is not a regression. This change favors a correct export over
a correct display.

Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move the
problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear during
export)

In a nutshell, the current situation is not perfect, but we have yet to
find a proper character to preserve both indentation during export and
readability.

> If having a U+2003 EM SPACE character is desirable, then instead of
> LaTeX-specific markup (which is useless in the text buffer), that
> character should appear directly in the data so it is useful for
> display.

Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an entity,
and is correctly exported in various back-ends.


Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-17 21:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2015-03-17 21:47     ` Ben Finney
  2015-03-17 22:07       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2016-08-22  6:18     ` bug#18870: " Sriram Karra
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2015-03-17 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1560 bytes --]

On 17-Mar-2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> 
> > The "\emsp" should be space characters (of some kind; either
> > U+0020 SPC or U+2003 EM SPACE) with correct alignment for the
> > character width. Displaying literal "\emsp" is a regression and
> > should not happen.
> 
> This is not a regression. This change favors a correct export over
> a correct display.

The behaviour described – displaying “\emsp” instead of space
characters – is a regression. That's what is being reported in this bug.

> Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move
> the problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear
> during export)

So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during export*,
and not be literally in the displayed text.

> In a nutshell, the current situation is not perfect, but we have yet
> to find a proper character to preserve both indentation during
> export and readability.

IS the above suggestion an acceptable solution?

> Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an entity,
> and is correctly exported in various back-ends.

But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.

Thanks for working on Org mode.

-- 
 \       “The future always arrives too fast, and in the wrong order.” |
  `\                                                    —Alvin Toffler |
_o__)                                                                  |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

[-- Attachment #2: Digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-17 21:47     ` Ben Finney
@ 2015-03-17 22:07       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-18 21:10         ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
  2015-03-22 22:49         ` Ben Finney
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-17 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Finney; +Cc: 18870

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The behaviour described – displaying “\emsp” instead of space
> characters – is a regression. That's what is being reported in this
> bug.

There wasn't space characters in the first place, but "\___" constructs.
See commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19. 

Also, the bug is about table alignment when `org-pretty-entities' is
used.

>> Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move
>> the problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear
>> during export)
>
> So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during export*,
> and not be literally in the displayed text.

No, because it means this character should be treated specially by Org
(e.g., LaTeX just ignores it so it needs to be turned into a space
there). 

This is not a good idea, especially considering it is an invisible
character.

> IS the above suggestion an acceptable solution?

No, it isn't. 

An acceptable solution would be a character or a string that looks
decent both in the buffer and in an exported document, without further
processing.

>> Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an entity,
>> and is correctly exported in various back-ends.
>
> But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.

Actually, it works more or less correctly for display on GUI with
a non-nil `org-pretty-entities', or calling
`org-toggle-pretty-entities'.

Regards,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-17 22:07       ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2015-03-18 21:10         ` Leo Ufimtsev
  2015-03-19 16:48           ` Subhan Michael Tindall
  2015-03-22 22:49         ` Ben Finney
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-03-18 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Ben Finney, 18870

I can't speak for the technical details, 

but I get the sense that \emsp isn't the right thing to be displayed on an *agenda clock report* because 
agenda clock reports don't get exported (afaik). 

Even \__ is more preffered than an \emsp, as \emsp is not 'easy to read' per se.

Since there are clearly difference in opinions, maybe a solution is to have a variable like 'org-clockreport-indentation-character' which defaults to \emsp 
for correct export, but could be changed to spaces or '\__' by the user. This would give people the choice between better export or better text-buffer display.

Thoughts?

Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas Goaziou" <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: "Ben Finney" <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au>
Cc: 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:07:03 PM
Subject: [O] bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The behaviour described – displaying “\emsp” instead of space
> characters – is a regression. That's what is being reported in this
> bug.

There wasn't space characters in the first place, but "\___" constructs.
See commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19. 

Also, the bug is about table alignment when `org-pretty-entities' is
used.

>> Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move
>> the problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear
>> during export)
>
> So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during export*,
> and not be literally in the displayed text.

No, because it means this character should be treated specially by Org
(e.g., LaTeX just ignores it so it needs to be turned into a space
there). 

This is not a good idea, especially considering it is an invisible
character.

> IS the above suggestion an acceptable solution?

No, it isn't. 

An acceptable solution would be a character or a string that looks
decent both in the buffer and in an exported document, without further
processing.

>> Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an entity,
>> and is correctly exported in various back-ends.
>
> But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.

Actually, it works more or less correctly for display on GUI with
a non-nil `org-pretty-entities', or calling
`org-toggle-pretty-entities'.

Regards,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-18 21:10         ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
@ 2015-03-19 16:48           ` Subhan Michael Tindall
  2015-03-19 21:33             ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-03-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Ufimtsev, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Ben Finney, 18870

Agendas can & do get exported.  Current agenda buffer can be exported using org-agenda-write to several formats. Custom agendas can be assigned file name(s) and automatically export to one or more file types. 

See: http://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html


> -----Original Message-----
> From: emacs-orgmode-bounces+subhant=familycareinc.org@gnu.org
> [mailto:emacs-orgmode-bounces+subhant=familycareinc.org@gnu.org] On
> Behalf Of Leo Ufimtsev
> Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:10 PM
> To: Nicolas Goaziou
> Cc: Ben Finney; 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
> Subject: [O] bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
> 
> I can't speak for the technical details,
> 
> but I get the sense that \emsp isn't the right thing to be displayed on an
> *agenda clock report* because agenda clock reports don't get exported
> (afaik).
> 
> Even \__ is more preffered than an \emsp, as \emsp is not 'easy to read' per
> se.
> 
> Since there are clearly difference in opinions, maybe a solution is to have a
> variable like 'org-clockreport-indentation-character' which defaults to \emsp
> for correct export, but could be changed to spaces or '\__' by the user. This
> would give people the choice between better export or better text-buffer
> display.
> 
> Thoughts?
> 
> Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Nicolas Goaziou" <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> To: "Ben Finney" <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au>
> Cc: 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
> Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:07:03 PM
> Subject: [O] bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
> 
> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> 
> > The behaviour described – displaying “\emsp” instead of space
> > characters – is a regression. That's what is being reported in this
> > bug.
> 
> There wasn't space characters in the first place, but "\___" constructs.
> See commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19.
> 
> Also, the bug is about table alignment when `org-pretty-entities' is used.
> 
> >> Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move
> >> the problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear
> >> during export)
> >
> > So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during export*,
> > and not be literally in the displayed text.
> 
> No, because it means this character should be treated specially by Org (e.g.,
> LaTeX just ignores it so it needs to be turned into a space there).
> 
> This is not a good idea, especially considering it is an invisible character.
> 
> > IS the above suggestion an acceptable solution?
> 
> No, it isn't.
> 
> An acceptable solution would be a character or a string that looks decent
> both in the buffer and in an exported document, without further processing.
> 
> >> Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an
> >> entity, and is correctly exported in various back-ends.
> >
> > But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.
> 
> Actually, it works more or less correctly for display on GUI with a non-nil `org-
> pretty-entities', or calling `org-toggle-pretty-entities'.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 


This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-19 16:48           ` Subhan Michael Tindall
@ 2015-03-19 21:33             ` Leo Ufimtsev
  2015-03-21  8:55               ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-03-19 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: Ben Finney, Nicolas Goaziou, 18870

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Maybe then just go along with the variable that would give people the choice, 
(I wouldn't mind '\emsp' being the default, so long as it can be changed to something else).

Thoughts?

Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

----- Original Message -----
From: "Subhan Michael Tindall" <SubhanT@familycareinc.org>
To: "Leo Ufimtsev" <lufimtse@redhat.com>, "Nicolas Goaziou" <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Cc: "Ben Finney" <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au>, 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:48:40 PM
Subject: [O] bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report

Agendas can & do get exported.  Current agenda buffer can be exported using org-agenda-write to several formats. Custom agendas can be assigned file name(s) and automatically export to one or more file types. 

See: http://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html


> -----Original Message-----
> From: emacs-orgmode-bounces+subhant=familycareinc.org@gnu.org
> [mailto:emacs-orgmode-bounces+subhant=familycareinc.org@gnu.org] On
> Behalf Of Leo Ufimtsev
> Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:10 PM
> To: Nicolas Goaziou
> Cc: Ben Finney; 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
> Subject: [O] bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
> 
> I can't speak for the technical details,
> 
> but I get the sense that \emsp isn't the right thing to be displayed on an
> *agenda clock report* because agenda clock reports don't get exported
> (afaik).
> 
> Even \__ is more preffered than an \emsp, as \emsp is not 'easy to read' per
> se.
> 
> Since there are clearly difference in opinions, maybe a solution is to have a
> variable like 'org-clockreport-indentation-character' which defaults to \emsp
> for correct export, but could be changed to spaces or '\__' by the user. This
> would give people the choice between better export or better text-buffer
> display.
> 
> Thoughts?
> 
> Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Nicolas Goaziou" <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> To: "Ben Finney" <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au>
> Cc: 18870@debbugs.gnu.org
> Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:07:03 PM
> Subject: [O] bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
> 
> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> 
> > The behaviour described – displaying “\emsp” instead of space
> > characters – is a regression. That's what is being reported in this
> > bug.
> 
> There wasn't space characters in the first place, but "\___" constructs.
> See commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19.
> 
> Also, the bug is about table alignment when `org-pretty-entities' is used.
> 
> >> Having some space character is not desirable as it would just move
> >> the problem the other way around (i.e., indentation would not appear
> >> during export)
> >
> > So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during export*,
> > and not be literally in the displayed text.
> 
> No, because it means this character should be treated specially by Org (e.g.,
> LaTeX just ignores it so it needs to be turned into a space there).
> 
> This is not a good idea, especially considering it is an invisible character.
> 
> > IS the above suggestion an acceptable solution?
> 
> No, it isn't.
> 
> An acceptable solution would be a character or a string that looks decent
> both in the buffer and in an exported document, without further processing.
> 
> >> Note that this is not LaTeX-specific markup. This is called an
> >> entity, and is correctly exported in various back-ends.
> >
> > But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.
> 
> Actually, it works more or less correctly for display on GUI with a non-nil `org-
> pretty-entities', or calling `org-toggle-pretty-entities'.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 


This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-19 21:33             ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
@ 2015-03-21  8:55               ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-22 21:44                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-21  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Ufimtsev; +Cc: Ben Finney, Subhan Michael Tindall, 18870

Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com> writes:

> Interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you for pointing it out.
>
> Maybe then just go along with the variable that would give people the choice, 
> (I wouldn't mind '\emsp' being the default, so long as it can be
> changed to something else).

Having a variable to choose in which way Org should be broken doesn't
sound great to me.

The trick could be to use an Org entity which is as large as its
overlay. Even better if that entity is readable without that overlay.
I'll look into it soon.


Regards,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-21  8:55               ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2015-03-22 21:44                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-23 16:09                   ` J. David Boyd
  2017-12-01 18:48                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Ufimtsev; +Cc: Ben Finney, Subhan Michael Tindall, 18870

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> The trick could be to use an Org entity which is as large as its
> overlay. Even better if that entity is readable without that overlay.
> I'll look into it soon.

This should now be fixed. The markup used is more readable and doesn't
alter table alignment.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-17 22:07       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-18 21:10         ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
@ 2015-03-22 22:49         ` Ben Finney
  2015-03-23  0:02           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2015-03-22 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1410 bytes --]

On 17-Mar-2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Also, the bug is about table alignment when `org-pretty-entities' is
> used.

Okay. So if I'm reporting a regression in the text (non-GUI) Emacs
behaviour of Org mode, I should make a separate report?

> > So the U+2003 EM SPACE character should be translated *during
> > export*, and not be literally in the displayed text.
> 
> No, because it means this character should be treated specially by
> Org (e.g., LaTeX just ignores it so it needs to be turned into a
> space there).

That conflicts with what you're saying later:

> > But not for display, which is the bug to be fixed here.
> 
> Actually, it works more or less correctly for display on GUI with a
> non-nil `org-pretty-entities', or calling
> `org-toggle-pretty-entities'.

So the behaviour is masked by special behaviour of “entities”. Why is
that special behaviour acceptable, but allowing export of U+2003 is not?

On 22-Mar-2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> This should now be fixed. The markup used is more readable and
> doesn't alter table alignment.

Is that true for text-only terminals too?

-- 
 \       “See, in my line of work you gotta keep repeating things over |
  `\       and over and over again, for the truth to sink in; to kinda |
_o__)               catapult the propaganda.” —George W. Bush, 2005-05 |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

[-- Attachment #2: Digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-22 22:49         ` Ben Finney
@ 2015-03-23  0:02           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-23  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Finney; +Cc: 18870

Hello,

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Okay. So if I'm reporting a regression in the text (non-GUI) Emacs
> behaviour of Org mode, I should make a separate report?

First, please update Org and test the new behaviour if you can.

> So the behaviour is masked by special behaviour of “entities”. Why is
> that special behaviour acceptable, but allowing export of U+2003 is
> not?

Because entities syntax is well defined, and uses easy-to-reach
characters. Asking users to insert EM SPACE as special markup doesn't
seem right for Org.

> On 22-Mar-2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> This should now be fixed. The markup used is more readable and
>> doesn't alter table alignment.
>
> Is that true for text-only terminals too?

Yes, it is.


Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* Re: bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-22 21:44                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2015-03-23 16:09                   ` J. David Boyd
  2017-12-01 18:48                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> The trick could be to use an Org entity which is as large as its
>> overlay. Even better if that entity is readable without that overlay.
>> I'll look into it soon.
>
> This should now be fixed. The markup used is more readable and doesn't
> alter table alignment.

Thanks very much, I feel this is much better.  I can read the columns ok, and
they export fine too.

Thanks for all your efforts in Org-mode!

Dave in Hudson, FL

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-17 21:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-17 21:47     ` Ben Finney
@ 2016-08-22  6:18     ` Sriram Karra
  2016-08-22  7:57       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Sriram Karra @ 2016-08-22  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870, Ben Finney

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 815 bytes --]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>

 [...]

> The "\emsp" should be space characters (of some kind; either U+0020 SPC
> > or U+2003 EM SPACE) with correct alignment for the character width.
> > Displaying literal "\emsp" is a regression and should not happen.
>
> This is not a regression. This change favors a correct export over
> a correct display.
>

I recently upgraded to a new machine and got the updated org-mode (8.2.10)
with Aquamacs 3.2 and ran into this problem

I find the above reasoning completely broken. Why is the above choice
considered the right tradeoff when there is no easy way to get something
sensible (with or without configuration) for display? Do more people export
rather than view?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1457 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2016-08-22  6:18     ` bug#18870: " Sriram Karra
@ 2016-08-22  7:57       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2017-12-04  5:49         ` Ben Finney
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-08-22  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriram Karra; +Cc: 18870, Ben Finney

Hello,

Sriram Karra <karra.etc@gmail.com> writes:

> I find the above reasoning completely broken. Why is the above choice
> considered the right tradeoff when there is no easy way to get something
> sensible (with or without configuration) for display? Do more people export
> rather than view?

The display for clock reports has been changed some months ago in
development version. I think this bug can be closed.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2015-03-22 21:44                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2015-03-23 16:09                   ` J. David Boyd
@ 2017-12-01 18:48                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2017-12-01 18:53                     ` Glenn Morris
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Ufimtsev; +Cc: 18870, Ben Finney, Subhan Michael Tindall

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> The trick could be to use an Org entity which is as large as its
>> overlay. Even better if that entity is readable without that overlay.
>> I'll look into it soon.
>
> This should now be fixed. The markup used is more readable and doesn't
> alter table alignment.

Could this bug be marked as done? Thank you.

Regards,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-01 18:48                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2017-12-01 18:53                     ` Glenn Morris
  2017-12-01 19:11                       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-12-01 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Could this bug be marked as done? Thank you.

Anyone can close any bug by sending mail to eg 18870-done at debbugs.

(Thanks for looking at these reports.)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-01 18:53                     ` Glenn Morris
@ 2017-12-01 19:11                       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 18870-done

Hello,

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> Could this bug be marked as done? Thank you.
>
> Anyone can close any bug by sending mail to eg 18870-done at debbugs.

Indeed! Closing it right now. Thank you.

> (Thanks for looking at these reports.)

(You're welcome.)

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2016-08-22  7:57       ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2017-12-04  5:49         ` Ben Finney
  2017-12-04  7:22           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2017-12-04  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 559 bytes --]

On 22-Aug-2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> The display for clock reports has been changed some months ago in
> development version.

Which version contains this change?

> I think this bug can be closed.

How can we test the change, to know whether this bug is resolved?

-- 
 \       “Instead of having ‘answers’ on a math test, they should just |
  `\               call them ‘impressions’, and if you got a different |
_o__)   ‘impression’, so what, can't we all be brothers?” —Jack Handey |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-04  5:49         ` Ben Finney
@ 2017-12-04  7:22           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2017-12-04  8:32             ` Ben Finney
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-04  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Finney; +Cc: 18870

Hello,

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> On 22-Aug-2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> The display for clock reports has been changed some months ago in
>> development version.
>
> Which version contains this change?
>
>> I think this bug can be closed.
>
> How can we test the change, to know whether this bug is resolved?

You can test the latest ELPA release, scheduled for today (the current
ELPA release also contains the bug but has a nasty fontification bug
too).

You can also test Org bundled with Emacs 26.0.50.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-04  7:22           ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2017-12-04  8:32             ` Ben Finney
  2017-12-04 13:43               ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2017-12-04  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 621 bytes --]

On 04-Dec-2017, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > How can we test the change, to know whether this bug is resolved?
> 
> You can test the latest ELPA release, scheduled for today

Please state the exact version string, so that we can compare to see
whether we're using one that meets your description.

-- 
 \       “We must find our way to a time when faith, without evidence, |
  `\    disgraces anyone who would claim it.” —Sam Harris, _The End of |
_o__)                                                     Faith_, 2004 |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-04  8:32             ` Ben Finney
@ 2017-12-04 13:43               ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2017-12-04 19:42                 ` Ben Finney
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 22+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-04 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Finney; +Cc: 18870

Hello,

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> On 04-Dec-2017, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>> > How can we test the change, to know whether this bug is resolved?
>> 
>> You can test the latest ELPA release, scheduled for today
>
> Please state the exact version string, so that we can compare to see
> whether we're using one that meets your description.

We are talking about a 2 years old fix, so exact release doesn't really
matter, really. Any 9.X version certainly contains the fix.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

* bug#18870: bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report
  2017-12-04 13:43               ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2017-12-04 19:42                 ` Ben Finney
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 22+ messages in thread
From: Ben Finney @ 2017-12-04 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 18870

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1091 bytes --]

On 04-Dec-2017, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Any 9.X version certainly contains the fix.

Using this version of ‘org-mode’:

    Org mode version 9.1.2 (9.1.2-dist @ /usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/elpa/org-9.0.9/)

I confirm that the display of the report is much better:

    | Headline                    | Time   |      |      |
    |-----------------------------+--------+------+------|
    | *Total time*                | *0:20* |      |      |
    |-----------------------------+--------+------+------|
    | Lorem ipsum, dolor sit amet | 0:20   |      |      |
    | \_  Suscipit sint quod      |        | 0:13 |      |
    | \_  Ab facilis nulla        |        | 0:07 |      |
    | \_    Dolore laborum        |        |      | 0:07 |

Thank you to the Org developers for resolving this bug.

-- 
 \          “A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. |
  `\        Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in |
_o__)                       principle is always a vice.” —Thomas Paine |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 22+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2017-12-04 19:43 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 22+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <544f71eb.0aadc20a.595f.70e0@mx.google.com>
2015-03-12  6:40 ` bug#18870: \emsp and alignment in org clock report Ben Finney
2015-03-17 21:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
2015-03-17 21:47     ` Ben Finney
2015-03-17 22:07       ` Nicolas Goaziou
2015-03-18 21:10         ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
2015-03-19 16:48           ` Subhan Michael Tindall
2015-03-19 21:33             ` bug#18870: " Leo Ufimtsev
2015-03-21  8:55               ` Nicolas Goaziou
2015-03-22 21:44                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
2015-03-23 16:09                   ` J. David Boyd
2017-12-01 18:48                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
2017-12-01 18:53                     ` Glenn Morris
2017-12-01 19:11                       ` Nicolas Goaziou
2015-03-22 22:49         ` Ben Finney
2015-03-23  0:02           ` Nicolas Goaziou
2016-08-22  6:18     ` bug#18870: " Sriram Karra
2016-08-22  7:57       ` Nicolas Goaziou
2017-12-04  5:49         ` Ben Finney
2017-12-04  7:22           ` Nicolas Goaziou
2017-12-04  8:32             ` Ben Finney
2017-12-04 13:43               ` Nicolas Goaziou
2017-12-04 19:42                 ` Ben Finney

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).