* Exporting to beamerposter
@ 2015-08-05  5:24 Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-08-05  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I’d like to use org-mode to create an academic poster like this one
(random example found using Google):

  http://robjhyndman.com/images/PosterInterests_beamer-723x1023.png

As the LaTeX target, I use beamerposter which is basically just a skin
for Beamer:

  https://github.com/deselaers/latex-beamerposter
  https://www.ctan.org/pkg/beamerposter?lang=en

Such a poster typically consists of two columns (or more when landscape
format is used) and blocks stacked inside these columns.  Sometimes, I
also need something more fancy like a block in a column and more columns
inside that block but that’s rare.

What I would like to write in org is something like the following:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
    #+BEAMER: \begin{columns}
    #+BEAMER: \begin{column}{0.48\columnwidth}

    * Introduction
        :PROPERTIES:
        :BEAMER_ENV: block
        :END:
    This poster is about …

    * Design
        :PROPERTIES:
        :BEAMER_ENV: block
        :END:
    To test A we did B.

    #+BEAMER: \end{column}
    #+BEAMER: \begin{column}{0.48\columnwidth}

    * Discussion
        :PROPERTIES:
        :BEAMER_ENV: block
        :END:
    Our ground-breaking results show …

    #+BEAMER: \end{column}
    #+BEAMER: \end{columns}
#+END_SRC

However, this doesn’t work for two reasons:

1.) Org mode ignores that I want blocks and instead uses frame
environments.

2.) The closing \end{frame} macros are misplaced, e.g:

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
    …
    \begin{frame}[label={sec:orgheadline3}]{Discussion}
    Our ground-breaking results show …

    \end{column}
    \end{columns}
    \end{frame}
    …
#+END_SRC

My question: What do I have to do in org to get the desired structure in
Latex?  This structure would be something like the following:

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
    \begin{columns}
    \begin{column}{0.48\columnwidth}

    \begin{block}{Introduction}
    This poster is about
    \end{block}

    \begin{block}{Design}
    To test A we did B.
    \end{block}

    \end{column}
    …
#+END_SRC

Posters really are the only type of document that has consistently
resisted being taken over by org-mode.  So I would be great to have a
solution for this.

  Titus

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Exporting to beamerposter
@ 2015-08-05  6:08 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-08-05  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de> writes:

> I’d like to use org-mode to create an academic poster like this one

> However, this doesn’t work for two reasons:
>
> 1.) Org mode ignores that I want blocks and instead uses frame
> environments.

I'm not sure if that's possible but you could try setting
org-beamer-frame-level to a 0 value.

> My question: What do I have to do in org to get the desired structure in
> Latex?  This structure would be something like the following:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>     \begin{columns}
>     \begin{column}{0.48\columnwidth}
>
>     \begin{block}{Introduction}
>     This poster is about
>     \end{block}
>
>     \begin{block}{Design}
>     To test A we did B.
>     \end{block}
>
>     \end{column}
>     &
> #+END_SRC

You could try something like the following (not tested)

* First column                                                    :B_columns:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_COL: .48
:BEAMER_env: columns
:END:
** Introduction
This poster is about

** Design
To test A we did B

Julien.

* Re: Exporting to beamerposter
@ 2015-08-05  8:08 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-08-05  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday,  4 Aug 2015 at 22:24, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:
> I’d like to use org-mode to create an academic poster like this one
> (random example found using Google):

[...]

> What I would like to write in org is something like the following:

Beamer is fully supported in org and especially columns.  The attached
creates a (very boring) poster which has two columns within a single
"frame" which is the poster.  Does this do what you want?

Export via C-c C-e l P

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3beta-1315-ga3b2b7

[-- Attachment #2: t.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 1266 bytes --]

#+startup: beamer
#+latex_header: \usepackage[orientation=portrait,size=a0,scale=1.4,debug]{beamerposter}
* The poster title
** Left column                                                  :BMCOL:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_col: 0.48
:END:
*** First block                                              :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item

*** Second block                                             :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item
*** Third block                                              :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item
** Right column                                                 :BMCOL:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_col: 0.48
:END:
*** First block                                              :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item

*** Second block                                             :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item
*** Third block                                              :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
- first item
- second item
- third item

* Re: Exporting to beamerposter
@ 2015-08-06  3:26   ` Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-08-06  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you, Eric!  I had to add ignoreheading to the top-level heading
because the title of the poster is handled via the #+TITLE attribute,
but otherwise it works nicely.  It’s a little unfortunate that the
wrap-all heading is needed because it doesn’t serve a purpose.  I tried
a couple of things to get rid of it but nothing worked because top-level
elements are translated to frames and each frame starts a new page,
which we don’t want on a poster.

For more fancy layouts, one has to be a little creative and sprinkle the
document generously with dummy headings with ignoreheadings-attribute to
make the LaTeX come out correctly but I think I’m getting the hang of
it.

I’ll publish the poster on Gist when I’m finished.  Hopefully, that will
make it easier for other people to get started with posters in org.

  Titus

@ 2015-08-06 11:00     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-08-06 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday,  5 Aug 2015 at 20:26, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:
> Thank you, Eric!  I had to add ignoreheading to the top-level heading
> because the title of the poster is handled via the #+TITLE attribute,
> but otherwise it works nicely.  It’s a little unfortunate that the
> wrap-all heading is needed because it doesn’t serve a purpose.  I tried
> a couple of things to get rid of it but nothing worked because top-level
> elements are translated to frames and each frame starts a new page,
> which we don’t want on a poster.
>
> For more fancy layouts, one has to be a little creative and sprinkle the
> document generously with dummy headings with ignoreheadings-attribute to
> make the LaTeX come out correctly but I think I’m getting the hang of
> it.

Glad it worked.

Although it may seem annoying, at first, to have extra headings, they
can actually be quite useful.  I often have "ignored" headings to group
my text for ease in navigation and editing.

> I’ll publish the poster on Gist when I’m finished.  Hopefully, that will
> make it easier for other people to get started with posters in org.

That would be great.  You might also like to add it to Worg.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3beta-1315-ga3b2b7