* Toggle headline underlining in text export?
@ 2021-02-16 10:00 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-02-16 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have an Org file which I export to a text file.  A separate program I
have written then uses this text file as the body of an email which is
sent to a number of people.

The problem I have is that the underlining of the headlines is much
longer than the headline text itself if a proportional font is used to
view the email.  As most of the recipients will probably not be using a
fixed-width font for their mail clients, I would like to be able to
toggle the underlining and just rely on the numbering of the headlines.

I'd didn't find anything which seemed relevant here

  https://orgmode.org/manual/Export-Settings.html

so is this possible?  Is there a (better) alternative?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Toggle headline underlining in text export?
@ 2021-02-16 13:45 ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2021-02-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

** Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> [2021-02-16 11:00:08 +0100]:

> Hi,

> I have an Org file which I export to a text file.  A separate program I
> have written then uses this text file as the body of an email which is
> sent to a number of people.

> The problem I have is that the underlining of the headlines is much
> longer than the headline text itself if a proportional font is used to
> view the email.

This contradicts a bit to first paragraph. I would assume that you export to
text format to send email message as plain text.

> As most of the recipients will probably not be using a fixed-width font for
> their mail clients,

And this assumes that they are fine with html messages otherwise they would
use fixed-width font.

> I would like to be able to toggle the underlining and just rely on the
> numbering of the headlines.

> I'd didn't find anything which seemed relevant here

>   https://orgmode.org/manual/Export-Settings.html

> so is this possible?  Is there a (better) alternative?

May be send them a html message?

> Cheers,

> Loris

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
To get something clean, one has to get something dirty.
To get something dirty, one does not have to get anything clean.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Toggle headline underlining in text export?
@ 2021-02-16 14:35   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-02-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@yandex.ru> writes:

> Hello,
> ** Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> [2021-02-16 11:00:08 +0100]:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I have an Org file which I export to a text file.  A separate program I
>> have written then uses this text file as the body of an email which is
>> sent to a number of people.
>
>> The problem I have is that the underlining of the headlines is much
>> longer than the headline text itself if a proportional font is used to
>> view the email.
>
> This contradicts a bit to first paragraph. I would assume that you export to
> text format to send email message as plain text.

I'm not sure what contradiction you are referring to.  I am indeed
exporting the a text format and in this text format the top-level
headlines are underlined with either a '=' if I export to ASCII or some
UTF symbol if I export to UTF-8.  Whether the underlining is the same
length as the headline itself depends on whether the font used to
display the text is fixed-width or proportional.

>> As most of the recipients will probably not be using a fixed-width font for
>> their mail clients,
>
> And this assumes that they are fine with html messages otherwise they would
> use fixed-width font.

I'm not sure this is true.  Someone might not like HTML mail for
security reasons, but still might use a proportional font.  In addition,
at least a few of the recipients certainly will be using a fixed-width
font.

>> I would like to be able to toggle the underlining and just rely on the
>> numbering of the headlines.
>
>> I'd didn't find anything which seemed relevant here
>
>>   https://orgmode.org/manual/Export-Settings.html
>
>> so is this possible?  Is there a (better) alternative?
>
> May be send them a html message?

I could do, but I'd rather not :-)

@ 2021-02-16 16:54 ` Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-02-16 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

have a look at the variable org-ascii-underline. It defines the
characters for underlining headings. If no character is set, the
headlines shouldn't be underlined (according to the documentation).

Best,
Christine

* Re: Toggle headline underlining in text export?
@ 2021-02-17  8:30   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-02-17  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christine,

Christine Köhn <christine@chark.eu> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> have a look at the variable org-ascii-underline. It defines the
> characters for underlining headings. If no character is set, the
> headlines shouldn't be underlined (according to the documentation).

Thanks, removing those character does what I wanted (although toggling
would be a little more convenient).

Unfortunately it turns out that what I wanted doesn't really look that
good either :-/

Oh well, thanks again anyway.

Cheers,

Loris