* de-tangle function?
@ 2013-05-30 14:49 Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-05-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I remember something about a de-tangle function, which re-imports the
source code blocks into the org file is previously tangled with comments
et al, but I can't find that function any more.

Is it still there? Does it work reliably?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: de-tangle function?
@ 2013-05-30 16:01 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-30 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M. Krug wrote:
> I remember something about a de-tangle function, which re-imports the
> source code blocks into the org file is previously tangled with comments
> et al, but I can't find that function any more.
>
> Is it still there?

M-x org-babel-detangle

> Does it work reliably?

You need the code blocks to be wrapped into comments for it to work.

Regarding reliability, it does work well on small examples. I remember having
had really bad results with my huge .emacs file, but hadn't any time to debug
the problem -- try to reproduce -- at that time.

So, when you do it, please keep a backup of your original Org file. It's
safer.

But, if there are bugs, they should be clearly identified, and fixed...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: de-tangle function?
@ 2013-05-30 19:31   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-05-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

>> Does it work reliably?
>
> You need the code blocks to be wrapped into comments for it to work.
>
> Regarding reliability, it does work well on small examples. I remember having
> had really bad results with my huge .emacs file, but hadn't any time to debug
> the problem -- try to reproduce -- at that time.
>
> So, when you do it, please keep a backup of your original Org file. It's
> safer.
>
> But, if there are bugs, they should be clearly identified, and fixed...

It not always good at finding its way back into the Org file, and I
found that some of the header arguments didn't 'work properlyø for
'complicated' blocks.  I'll see if I can make reproducible examples
later.

It's definitely a potentially cool feature though.  Notice you have to
run it from the tangled file.

–Rasmus

--
Don't panic!!!

* Re: de-tangle function?
@ 2013-05-31  7:12   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-05-31  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>> I remember something about a de-tangle function, which re-imports the
>> source code blocks into the org file is previously tangled with comments
>> et al, but I can't find that function any more.
>>
>> Is it still there?
>
> M-x org-babel-detangle

How did I miss that????????????

>> Does it work reliably?
>
> You need the code blocks to be wrapped into comments for it to work.
>
> Regarding reliability, it does work well on small examples. I remember having
> had really bad results with my huge .emacs file, but hadn't any time to debug
> the problem -- try to reproduce -- at that time.
>
> So, when you do it, please keep a backup of your original Org file. It's
> safer.

Pity - then I can't use it. I have a long org file which tangles in many
.R files and in many cases one file spans across many blocks. I have to
trust it when using it at this stage. But as Eric has improved the
org-babel-tangle-jump-to-org function, I will use that one in debugging.

> But, if there are bugs, they should be clearly identified, and fixed...

I agree - but unfortunately at the moment I won't be able to help here.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug