* Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 11.04 and org-protocol
@ 2011-05-07  3:03 Rafael
From: Rafael @ 2011-05-07  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Has anybody been succesful in using the tutorial
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
in the setting described in the subject (Firefox 4, Ubuntu 11.04)?

Those instructions worked perfectly for me in previous versions of
Ubuntu and Firefox, but now I always get the dreaded message

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(org-protocol) isn't associated with any program.

I have run the two commands starting with 'gconftool-2', I have checked
with gconf-editor that the settings intended have been set, I have tried
the method in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol and also that
in
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The%20protocol%20is%20not%20associated%20with%20any%20program?s=protocol&as=s.

No luck so far...

* Re: Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 11.04 and org-protocol
@ 2011-05-07 16:16 ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2011-05-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 06 May 2011 22:03:57 -0500,
Rafael wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anybody been succesful in using the tutorial
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
> in the setting described in the subject (Firefox 4, Ubuntu 11.04)?
>
> […]

Apparently they changed the way this works. You need to add a
org-protocol.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications

  [Desktop Entry]
  Name=org-protocol
  Exec=emacsclient %u
  Type=Application
  Terminal=false
  Categories=System;
  MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;

Then run:

  $ update-desktop-database .local/share/applications/

For some reason I cannot get the bookmarklets to work, however. But
opening an org-protocol:/ URL directly works.

best, Erik

Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.

* Re: Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 11.04 and org-protocol
@ 2011-05-09 19:07   ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2011-05-09 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Sat, 07 May 2011 09:16:38 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:
> Apparently they changed the way this works. You need to add a
> org-protocol.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications
>
>   [Desktop Entry]
>   Name=org-protocol
>   Exec=emacsclient %u
>   Type=Application
>   Terminal=false
>   Categories=System;
>   MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;
>
> Then run:
>
>   $ update-desktop-database .local/share/applications/
>
> For some reason I cannot get the bookmarklets to work, however. But
> opening an org-protocol:/ URL directly works.

Hi,

org-protocol bookmarks simply do not work for me in Firefox 4 on
Ubuntu 11.04 (they give an error message). Anybody have any luck
getting them to work? I can post more info if necessary.

@ 2011-05-12  7:43     ` Mattias Jämting
From: Mattias Jämting @ 2011-05-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I managed by hacking the /usr/bin/xdg-open script.

See:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg33861.html

/Mattias

Mattias Jämting, Jämting Web & Design