* Sort order of TODO entries
@ 2012-03-08 14:56 Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2012-03-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear ORGers.

recently I started to priorize my TODO items.
(May be that implies failure of my GTD setup, but I don't want to
discuss that ... )

I found org sorts TODOs in the following way in my agenda view:

TODO [#A]
TODO [#B]
TODO/WAITING
TODO [#C]

I don't understand the reasoning in putting TODOs without priority or
WAITING without priority before priority #C.

Conceptually "no priority" (for me) means "not decided how important or
not important at all, but would like to work on it", In contrast "#C"
means "must be done, but do #A and #B first".

It would IMHO feel much more natural to sort

#A, #B, #C, no priority.

Is that (easily) possible?

SETUP:
Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.553.g62a63)
emacs GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) of 2011-02-22 on build34

Thx
Detlef

* Re: Sort order of TODO entries
@ 2012-03-08 15:52 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-03-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear ORGers.
>
> recently I started to priorize my TODO items.
> (May be that implies failure of my GTD setup, but I don't want to
> discuss that ... )
>
> I found org sorts TODOs in the following way in my agenda view:
>
> TODO [#A]
> TODO [#B]
> TODO/WAITING
> TODO [#C]
>
> I don't understand the reasoning in putting TODOs without priority or
> WAITING without priority before priority #C.
>
> Conceptually "no priority" (for me) means "not decided how important or
> not important at all, but would like to work on it", In contrast "#C"
> means "must be done, but do #A and #B first".

They don't have 'no priority' -- they have the default priority which is
probably [#C].  You can set the default using variables.

See:
org-default-priority
   The default priority of TODO items.
org-highest-priority
   The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
org-lowest-priority
   The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.

You're free to change the default to Z or something as long as you also
set org-lowest-priority appropriately.

Regards,
Bernt

@ 2012-03-08 15:52 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2012-03-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Detlef,

Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer@gmx.de> writes:

> I don't understand the reasoning in putting TODOs without priority or
> WAITING without priority before priority #C.
>
> Conceptually "no priority" (for me) means "not decided how important or
> not important at all, but would like to work on it", In contrast "#C"
> means "must be done, but do #A and #B first".
>
> It would IMHO feel much more natural to sort
>
> #A, #B, #C, no priority.

Currently, org gives items with no priority a default priority of B.

,----[ (info "(org) Priorities")
`----

> Is that (easily) possible?

You can modify how the agenda sorts priorities with a custom function.
Here's a quick hack that seems to work:

(defun my-org-get-priority ()
  (save-match-data
    (if (not (string-match org-priority-regexp s))
	-1000
      (* 1000 (- org-lowest-priority
		 (string-to-char (match-string 2 s)))))))

(setq org-get-priority-function 'my-org-get-priority)

Best,
Matt

* Re: Sort order of TODO entries
@ 2012-03-08 18:14   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2012-03-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:52:05 -0500
Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Dear ORGers.
> >
> > recently I started to priorize my TODO items.
> > (May be that implies failure of my GTD setup, but I don't want to
> > discuss that ... )
> >
> > I found org sorts TODOs in the following way in my agenda view:
> >
> > TODO [#A]
> > TODO [#B]
> > TODO/WAITING
> > TODO [#C]
> >
> > I don't understand the reasoning in putting TODOs without priority or
> > WAITING without priority before priority #C.
> >
> > Conceptually "no priority" (for me) means "not decided how important or
> > not important at all, but would like to work on it", In contrast "#C"
> > means "must be done, but do #A and #B first".
>
> They don't have 'no priority' -- they have the default priority which is
> probably [#C].  You can set the default using variables.
>
> See:
> org-default-priority
>    The default priority of TODO items.
> org-highest-priority
>    The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
> org-lowest-priority
>    The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
>
> You're free to change the default to Z or something as long as you also
> set org-lowest-priority appropriately.

Thank you both!

Sorry for not getting it from the fine manual.

56 min from asking a question to two perfect answers! Just great!

Detlef