* The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-18 22:43 Sven Bretfeld
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-03-18 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hello to all

Is there any complete and secure import and export filter from org files
to any other PIM format used on PDAs or mobiles? If not, this would seem to
me the most important feature to be developed.

If you are like me -- and I think most people on this list are -- your
whole life is organized with the help of org-mode. It's crucial to have
a mobile PIM device coping with the information of an org file. Since
Emacs on a mobile device is always problematic (I tried Asus Eee [too
large, start-up too slow], Openmoko [too small qwerty-keyboards, too
slow, battery life-time too short]), one has to resort to import and
export filters, at least I think so.

How do you people handle that problem?

Greetings,

Sven
--
Sven Bretfeld
CERES -- CEntrum für REligionswissenschaftliche Studien

* Re: The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-18 23:56 ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-03-18 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
> Is there any complete and secure import and export filter from org files
> to any other PIM format used on PDAs or mobiles? If not, this would seem to
> me the most important feature to be developed.
>
> If you are like me -- and I think most people on this list are -- your
> whole life is organized with the help of org-mode. It's crucial to have
> a mobile PIM device coping with the information of an org file. Since
> Emacs on a mobile device is always problematic (I tried Asus Eee [too
> large, start-up too slow], Openmoko [too small qwerty-keyboards, too
> slow, battery life-time too short]), one has to resort to import and
> export filters, at least I think so.
>
> How do you people handle that problem?

I currently just carry around note cards (Hipster PDA) and an MP3 player
with voice recorder (Sansa Fuze) for portable capture and am close
enough to my computer (either laptop or workstation) often enough that
the rest doesn't matter too much.

I've looked at various portable Emacs solutions, though; a couple things
that I've thought looked viable were the Nokia N810 and the Zippit Z2
with alternate OS.  I haven't actually tried either of these, merely
poked around a lot online and then decided to stick with my note cards
for now.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-19  8:43 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2009-03-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 18 Mar 2009 23:43:58 +0100
"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hello to all
>
> Is there any complete and secure import and export filter from org files
> to any other PIM format used on PDAs or mobiles? If not, this would seem to
> me the most important feature to be developed.
>
> If you are like me -- and I think most people on this list are -- your
> whole life is organized with the help of org-mode. It's crucial to have
> a mobile PIM device coping with the information of an org file. Since
> Emacs on a mobile device is always problematic (I tried Asus Eee [too
> large, start-up too slow], Openmoko [too small qwerty-keyboards, too
> slow, battery life-time too short]), one has to resort to import and
> export filters, at least I think so.

My solution is the other way round. I won't buy or use any mobile device
 without emacs :-)

At the moment I'm using a Sharp Zaurus 860 and an EEE. The EEE is a bit large
 and boots too slow, yes, so I converted back to my Zaurus for commuting.
Org-mode is surprisingly agile on such a small device. Especially since
a real Ubuntu, even 9.04 beta,  is available for the Zaurus, this is the
 machine I always wanted.
I have Emacs/Latex/xpdf (/xboard/gnugo)  and anything else on one small and cheap SD-card.
Just cool :-)

Detlef

@ 2009-03-19  9:05   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2009-03-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:43:42 +0100
Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2009 23:43:58 +0100
> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hello to all
> >
> > Is there any complete and secure import and export filter from org files
> > to any other PIM format used on PDAs or mobiles? If not, this would seem to
> > me the most important feature to be developed.
> >
> > If you are like me -- and I think most people on this list are -- your
> > whole life is organized with the help of org-mode. It's crucial to have
> > a mobile PIM device coping with the information of an org file. Since
> > Emacs on a mobile device is always problematic (I tried Asus Eee [too
> > large, start-up too slow], Openmoko [too small qwerty-keyboards, too
> > slow, battery life-time too short]), one has to resort to import and
> > export filters, at least I think so.
> >

> My solution is the other way round. I won't buy or use any mobile device
>  without emacs :-)
>
> At the moment I'm using a Sharp Zaurus 860 and an EEE. The EEE is a bit large
>  and boots too slow, yes, so I converted back to my Zaurus for commuting.
> Org-mode is surprisingly agile on such a small device. Especially since
> a real Ubuntu, even 9.04 beta,  is available for the Zaurus, this is the
>  machine I always wanted.
> I have Emacs/Latex/xpdf (/xboard/gnugo)  and anything else on one small and cheap SD-card.

Forgot to add:
Because there are other useRs on this list: ESS and R running, too!

@ 2009-03-19 10:42 ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-03-19 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Sven Bretfeld schrieb:
> a mobile PIM device coping with the information of an org file. Since
> Emacs on a mobile device is always problematic

I use a G1 and with its excellent ssh client (connectbot) it lets me
use a remote emacs session. It's actually possible to review my agenda
and tick tasks off, but editing them is a bit troublesome, as my usual
keybindings won't work over a remote connection.

So I'd agree it's problematic.

> one has to resort to import and
> export filters, at least I think so.
---Zitatende---

I currently export my schedule to google calendar with org's icalendar
export. But I have to manually upload the ics file, so I'd prefer a
solution that interfaces with google directly, such as an Integration
of T.V. Rahman's google-client code for emacs with org-mode. I didn't
get around to look at that code yet. (It's part of the emacspeak
package, but can be downloaded separately.)

I don't have a solution for todo items yet. It looks like it should be
possible to integrate org-mode with remember the milk, which in turn
has a good client for android (called Astrid). Somebody has apparently
started a remember the milk integration with org-mode, but it looks
like the project has stopped in a very early stage. (as evidenced by
http://github.com/avdi/org-rtm/tree/master). Of course direct
synchronisation with a todo-manager would be even better, and
possible, since Astrid is free software too
(http://code.google.com/p/android-astrid/).

So I currently have no solution that really satisfies me, but several
possible future solutions.

--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Re: The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-19 11:09   ` Ian Barton
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-03-19 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I currently export my schedule to google calendar with org's icalendar
> export. But I have to manually upload the ics file, so I'd prefer a
> solution that interfaces with google directly, such as an Integration
> of T.V. Rahman's google-client code for emacs with org-mode. I didn't
> get around to look at that code yet. (It's part of the emacspeak
> package, but can be downloaded separately.)
>
> I don't have a solution for todo items yet. It looks like it should be
> possible to integrate org-mode with remember the milk, which in turn
> has a good client for android (called Astrid). Somebody has apparently
> started a remember the milk integration with org-mode, but it looks
> like the project has stopped in a very early stage. (as evidenced by
> http://github.com/avdi/org-rtm/tree/master). Of course direct
> synchronisation with a todo-manager would be even better, and
> possible, since Astrid is free software too
> (http://code.google.com/p/android-astrid/).

If you have access to a server that supports WebDav you can create a
Google Calendar that reads your org ics file directly.

I publish my todo items to a web server, where I can browse them on my
phone. It's also possible to copy the html fine to my phone's memory,
where I could browse it without Internet access. The only downside is
that it's read only, but that's not a problem for me.

Ian.

* Re: The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-19 15:31     ` Anupam Sengupta
From: Anupam Sengupta @ 2009-03-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    >> I currently export my schedule to google calendar with org's
    >> icalendar export. But I have to manually upload the ics file, so

[...]

    Ian> If you have access to a server that supports WebDav you can
    Ian> create a Google Calendar that reads your org ics file directly.

    Ian> I publish my todo items to a web server, where I can browse
    Ian> them on my phone. It's also possible to copy the html fine to
    Ian> my phone's memory, where I could browse it without Internet
    Ian> access. The only downside is that it's read only, but that's
    Ian> not a problem for me.

I also export the agenda as an ics file and then pre-process using Ruby
to make some changes on the ics file (mainly to remove some of the TODO
entries that I normally do not need on my Blackberry). There is a good
Ruby module for handling the iCalendar format
(http://icalendar.rubyforge.org/).

I then use a automator workflow to load the processed ics file into iCal
(I am using OS X) and sync normally to iCal using the synchronization
program that came with the Blackberry (PocketMac Sync Manager).

As a bonus, I get to sync the iCal entries automatically with Google
calendar as well.

I.e, the flow is:

+--------+ ics  +-------------+ ics   +--------------+
| Org    +------> Ruby        +-------> Automator    |
+--------+      +-------------+       +-------+------+
                                              | load
                +-------------+ sync  +-------v------+
                | PDA /Google <-------+    iCal      |
                +-------------+       +--------------+

This works pretty well - though the problem is that it is a one-way
street: from org files to the BB - and round trip changes are not yet
possible.

Also, this is a OS X oriented solution, but the automation can probably
be done on other platforms as well using equivalent scripting.

HTH,

--
Anupam

* Re: The most important project for org developers?
@ 2009-03-19 16:03     ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-03-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton schrieb:
> If you have access to a server that supports WebDav you can create a
> Google Calendar that reads your org ics file directly.
---Zitatende---

Uhm, I tried to publish my org.ics file to a https server in a
protected directory, but even with username and password in the remote
calendar url google calendar would not read the ics file.

If you managed to set it up via https and some kind of authentication,
I'm very interested in your solution, but I'm not ready to publish all
my events to the whole world, even if the url is somehow obfuscated.

--

@ 2009-03-19 16:45     ` Rasmus Pank Roulund
       [not found]       ` <87bprqtzl1.fsf@gmx.ch>
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2009-03-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> If you have access to a server that supports WebDav you can create a
> Google Calendar that reads your org ics file directly.
phpicalendar has a module called publish.php than can write to a ics
file via http. I use it with multiple shared calendars in Thunderbird.

-Rasmus

* Re: Re: The most important project for org developers?
       [not found]       ` <87bprqtzl1.fsf@gmx.ch>
@ 2009-03-24 21:18         ` sven.bretfeld
From: sven.bretfeld @ 2009-03-24 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

Hallo to all

Thanks for your suggestions. I still think there is much to optimize and
I deem it urgent. For myself, I will follow Detlef's example and give
Emacs on mobile systems another try. Yesterday, I succeeded to buy a
Sharp Zaurus quite cheaply from eBay. We'll see.

Greetings

Sven