* feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-05 21:30 ignotus
From: ignotus @ 2007-08-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

Sometimes I write some comments after a todo entry like this:

,----
| *** TODO [#A] implement function XYZ
|
|   VERY IMPORTANT: be careful not to forget ABC!!!
`----

When I browse my todos in agenda view (see below) most of the time I
forget about whether I have comments or not, so I don't even check:

,----
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#A] implement function XYZ
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#B] foo
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#C] bar
`----

I would like the agenda view to somehow sign entries that have comments,
like this:

,----
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#A] implement function XYZ (more)
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#B] foo
| ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#C] bar
`----

What do you think?

Thanks.

--
Udv, Ricsi

* Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-06  1:41 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-08-06  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ignotus@freemail.hu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 8/5/07, ignotus@freemail.hu <ignotus@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Sometimes I write some comments after a todo entry like this:
>
> ,----
> | *** TODO [#A] implement function XYZ
> |
> |   VERY IMPORTANT: be careful not to forget ABC!!!
> `----
>
> When I browse my todos in agenda view (see below) most of the time I
> forget about whether I have comments or not, so I don't even check:
>
> ,----
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#A] implement function XYZ
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#B] foo
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#C] bar
> `----
>
> I would like the agenda view to somehow sign entries that have comments,
> like this:
>
> ,----
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#A] implement function XYZ (more)
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#B] foo
> | ProjectFoo:    ..TODO [#C] bar
> `----
>
> What do you think?

    Well, that would flag all of my entries.  I'm not sure I would
want all the extra info, since for me it would be repetitive.  I have
been trying to think of a good suggestion for easily manipulating what
goes into an agenda view.  I think a format string using property info
might go a long way.  I can think of a good way to get what you are
after.  Maybe if there was an implicit property for a heading like
HAS_BODY.
    In any case, I don't think it is that uncommon to have todo
heading with body info and I know I would be annoyed by a feature like
this if I couldn't turn it off.  I think there is a more
general/flexible feature that could implement this waiting to be
thought up.

Edd.

* Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-06  8:29   ` ignotus
From: ignotus @ 2007-08-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  >> What do you think?

  >     Well, that would flag all of my entries.  I'm not sure I would
  > want all the extra info, since for me it would be repetitive.  I
  > have been trying to think of a good suggestion for easily
  > manipulating what goes into an agenda view.  I think a format string
  > using property info might go a long way.  I can think of a good way
  > to get what you are after.  Maybe if there was an implicit property
  > for a heading like HAS_BODY.
  >     In any case, I don't think it is that uncommon to have todo
  > heading with body info and I know I would be annoyed by a feature
  > like this if I couldn't turn it off.  I think there is a more
  > general/flexible feature that could implement this waiting to be
  > thought up.

Thanks for the input, I like that customizeble format string in agenda
views idea of yours.

--

@ 2007-08-06 14:50 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-08-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ignotus@freemail.hu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 8/5/07, ignotus@freemail.hu <ignotus@freemail.hu> wrote:
> When I browse my todos in agenda view (see below) most of the time I
> forget about whether I have comments or not, so I don't even check:

I've been using : to designate headings that have notes (as opposed to
ones that have SCHEDULED etc.).

* Some heading:

Works alright, but I think (more) would be better. I think it should
be displayed in the org buffer as well as in the agenda. As long as
it's configurable no one should have a problem. I'd also like it to be
configurable whether or not it includes SCHEDULED and the like as
"more."

--Scott

* Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-06 15:38   ` ignotus
From: ignotus @ 2007-08-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  > On 8/5/07, ignotus@freemail.hu <ignotus@freemail.hu> wrote:
  >> When I browse my todos in agenda view (see below) most of the time
  >> I forget about whether I have comments or not, so I don't even
  >> check:

  > I've been using : to designate headings that have notes (as opposed
  > to ones that have SCHEDULED etc.).

  > * Some heading:

  > Works alright, but I think (more) would be better. I think it should
  > be displayed in the org buffer as well as in the agenda. As long as
  > it's configurable no one should have a problem. I'd also like it to
  > be configurable whether or not it includes SCHEDULED and the like as
  > "more."

Well, I would be very happy with ":" too, as long as it is automatically
added to the agenda views. :)

--
Udv, Ricsi

* Re: Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-07  0:33     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-07  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ignotus@freemail.hu writes:

>   >     In any case, I don't think it is that uncommon to have todo
>   > heading with body info and I know I would be annoyed by a feature
>   > like this if I couldn't turn it off.  I think there is a more
>   > general/flexible feature that could implement this waiting to be
>   > thought up.
>
> Thanks for the input, I like that customizeble format string in agenda
> views idea of yours.

Either a format string (stored in a :Agenda: property?) or something
similar to the :COLUMNS: property.

For example, if there were a new special property for the %CONTENT, then
this property could be used to store the first characters of the current
headline's content.

  :AGENDA: %TAGS %TODO %25ITEM %15CONTENT %20SCHEDULED

Would make the following todo line:

,----
| * Try to propose something useful to Org people     :tag:
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   SCHEDULED: <2007-08-13 lun>
|   :AGENDA: %TAGS %25ITEM %20SCHEDULED %15CONTENT
|   :END:
|
| Some content here.
`----

displayed like this:

  :tag: Try to propose something <2007-08-13 lun> Some content he

Or maybe this could be refined as this

  :AGENDA: "%s %s on %s (%s...)" %TAGS %25ITEM %20SCHEDULED %15CONTENT

So that the display would be

  :tag: Try to propose something on <2007-08-13 lun> (Some content he...)

I think using properties to define the way we want agenda entries to be
displayed is fine, since it let you define it for a whole buffer or for
each entry separately.

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-10  6:57   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-10  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ignotus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 6, 2007, at 10:32, ignotus@freemail.hu wrote:

>> Why don't you just switch on the follow mode in the agenda buffer
>> (enter the 'f' command in agenda window).
>
>> Look at the top window and see if the item has three dots following
>> the headline?
>
> I did not know about the follow mode, nice!
>
> Unfortunately follow mode makes changes to the window configuration (I
> think this is a bug).  Like you are in a buffer, bring up agenda mode,
> that splits the frame and occupies the lower window.  When you press q,
> you are back in the buffer you were editing or anything.  But if you
> have follow mode turned on and kill agenda view, you will be in a org
> buffer, not your original buffer.

Please take a look at the
variable `org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit'.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: feature request: (more) in agenda?
@ 2007-08-11 14:30     ` ignotus
From: ignotus @ 2007-08-11 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  > Please take a look at the variable
  > `org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit'.

Superb, thanks!

--
Udv, Ricsi