* Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-02  8:24 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Thorsten NaN

Dear all,

Thorsten wrote a page about the Google Summer of Code on Worg:
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/

He described his own project on the "ideas" page:
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/orgmode-gsoc2012-ideas.html

(See "Real webprogramming with Org Mode and PicoLisp".)

If you are a student and want to submit an Org-mode project for the
GSoC 2012, please reply in this thread - we will give directions on
how to edit the Worg page.  When you have the first draft for your
project, you'll then have to find a mentor for it, which I guess
will also happen by discussing it in this list.

The timeline for applications is here:

  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

  Organization (GNU) should register *before March 9th*.

  Students should register before *April 6th*.

Org-mode related projects are likely to be presented under the GNU
umbrella, but we are still waiting to know if GNU will apply as an
Organization this year.

Let's make this happen!  And thanks to Thorsten who paved the way
for _any_ project, not only his own.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-02 16:42 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-02 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thorsten NaN

Hi,

Thanks to Bastien and Thorsten for advancing this opportunity.  I think
this could be a good chance for the community to collect and prioritize
some of our more ambitious development goals, and to widen the pool of
users who are familiar with the Org-mode internals -- a wonderful
journey to take through some of the most hackable code I've ever had the
pleasure of working on [1].

If there is any interest in working on the Babel (source code) elements
of Org-mode I would be happy to serve as a mentor.  Some ideas that come
to mind include;
- implementing a multi-programming-language "notebook" like console
  interface build on top of Org-mode and Babel (with both Emacs and
  HTML interfaces)
- adding support for asynchronous code block execution
- adding support for piping results between code blocks allowing many
  blocks to run concurrently (probably best combined with asynchronous
  execution)
- adding support for handling output written to STDERR

I'm sure there are many more exciting things to be done, the above are
just those that come to mind at the moment.

Best,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> Thorsten wrote a page about the Google Summer of Code on Worg:
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/
>
> He described his own project on the "ideas" page:
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/orgmode-gsoc2012-ideas.html
>
> (See "Real webprogramming with Org Mode and PicoLisp".)
>
> If you are a student and want to submit an Org-mode project for the
> GSoC 2012, please reply in this thread - we will give directions on
> how to edit the Worg page.  When you have the first draft for your
> project, you'll then have to find a mentor for it, which I guess
> will also happen by discussing it in this list.
>
> The timeline for applications is here:
>
>   http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>
>   Organization (GNU) should register *before March 9th*.
>
>   Students should register before *April 6th*.
>
> Org-mode related projects are likely to be presented under the GNU
> umbrella, but we are still waiting to know if GNU will apply as an
> Organization this year.
>
> Let's make this happen!  And thanks to Thorsten who paved the way
> for _any_ project, not only his own.

Footnotes:
[1]  I can't count the number of times I've sat down to implement
     something thinking I had hours of work ahead of me, only to find
     that thanks to well placed hooks, and thoughtfully created and
     exposed variables the task was trivial.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-02 16:50 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-03-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thorsten NaN

"Git merge tool for Org files"

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg00601.html

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-02 16:56   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-02 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> "Git merge tool for Org files"
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg00601.html

Interesting, along these lines, I know git is able to use custom diffs
(e.g., there exist sentence rather than line-based diffs for writing
prose).  I wonder if an outline diff would be useful, so that
re-ordering subtrees in an Org-mode file was represented as a single
operation rather than many un-related deletions and insertions.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-02 17:12     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-03-02 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Git merge tool for Org files"
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg00601.html
>>

> Interesting, along these lines, I know git is able to use custom diffs
> (e.g., there exist sentence rather than line-based diffs for writing
> prose).  I wonder if an outline diff would be useful, so that
> re-ordering subtrees in an Org-mode file was represented as a single
> operation rather than many un-related deletions and insertions.

Caveat: I know practically nothing - technically - about the project
being discussed. I am commenting here as a lay user.

Sometime back while looking at change tracking within OpenDocument
files, I stumbled upon the following two entries.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Track_changes#Google_Summer_of_Code_2009:_Improve_Writer.27s_compare_function

http://gsoc-tzvetelina.blogspot.in/

In the above blog, the author is talking about paragraphs as a unit and
makes a note of the algorithms he uses to narrow down the paragraphs of
interest. I think in Org's context, outline could (also) be considered
as a unit.

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-04  1:05   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-03-04  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here are some ideas, which are maybe more from a user point of view.

* Tables (babel)

I would love to see work on making table work easy for non-programers;
that is perhaps making babel 'easier' to use for common task.

For text table I often have tasks that should be applied to say
every other row.  Recently, for example I needed to apply
\multiolumn{1}{l}{\1} to every cell of every other row.

The latex function of Hmisc and xtable does a nice job of making
'programable' changes tables easy.

* Knitr-like (babel + org)

There is a new package Knitr, a Sweave replacement.  It does a nice work
of working perfectly out of the box.  For example inline-number
expressions are formatted to a limited number of sign, it is very easy
to use tikz-device (for R), which ensures consistent fonts.  Code-blocks
are automatically nicely formatted etc.

I would be interesting if Org could be made more dwim in this manner
(for many languages).

* Better item handling

At the moment it is hard to change lists.  Often I need inline items
and interrupted  list.  This is hard to do with Org at the moment.

–Rasmus

--
Enought with the bla bla!

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-04  9:28     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-03-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> * Better item handling
>
> At the moment it is hard to change lists.  Often I need inline items
> and interrupted  list.  This is hard to do with Org at the moment.

There is support for inline lists in the experimental LaTeX back-end.

Also, I'm not sure about what you mean with "interrupted lists", but
counters may be the answer, i.e.:

  6. [@6] Start at 6
  7. Following item

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-04 10:02       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-03-04 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> * Better item handling
>>
>> At the moment it is hard to change lists.  Often I need inline items
>> and interrupted  list.  This is hard to do with Org at the moment.
>
> There is support for inline lists in the experimental LaTeX back-end.
>
> Also, I'm not sure about what you mean with "interrupted lists", but
> counters may be the answer, i.e.:
>
>   6. [@6] Start at 6
>   7. Following item

From OpenDocument side of things, I am inclined to cite the attached
example. See comments in the attachment.

Talking of migration to org-export.el/org-e-odt.el, indented tables pose
special challenges because a list has to be broken and continued.  It
poses *more* challenges if I add "listified headlines" to the mix.

Nicolas,

Given the above context, one enhancmenet request that I have for you is
this:

Can the org-export driver make listified headings transparent to the
backend? Currently listified headings are handled within
org-e-backend-headline through first-sibling and last sibling checks and
the backends *do know* that it is handling a headline in a special way.

If you have reservations in considering the above request, I believe
handling of indented tables will be fragmented across plain-list/item
callbacks and headline callbacks.

Note that I am not saying that it is not doable but only that it
requires some deliberate effort and extra code.

> Regards,

[-- Attachment #2: indented-table.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 2504 bytes --]

* Table within a Table

  Indented tables in ODT discontinue and continue a list.

  - Item1
  - Item2
    - Item2.1
      | 1 | 2 |
      | 3 | 4 |
    - Item2.2
  - Item3

* COMMENT XML for above table

  Here you can see table is syntactically outside of a list.

  There is a special list-header tag that is used for continuing an
  item.

#+begin_src nxml
  <text:list text:continue-numbering="false" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
    <text:list-item>
      <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
        Item1
      </text:p>
    </text:list-item>
    <text:list-item>
      <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
        Item2
      </text:p>
      <text:list text:continue-numbering="true" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
        <text:list-item>
          <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
            Item2.1
          </text:p>
        </text:list-item>
      </text:list>
    </text:list-item>
  </text:list>

  <text:section text:style-name="OrgIndentedSection-Level-2" text:name="Section1">

  </text:section>
  <text:list text:continue-numbering="true" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
    <text:list-item>
      <text:list text:continue-numbering="true" text:style-name="OrgBulletedList">
        <text:list-header>
        </text:list-header>
        <text:list-item>
          <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
            Item2.2
          </text:p>
        </text:list-item>
      </text:list>
    </text:list-item>
    <text:list-item>
      <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
        Item3
      </text:p>
    </text:list-item>
  </text:list>
#+end_src

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-04 15:14       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-03-04 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2 mars 2012, at 18:12, Jambunathan K wrote:

> Sometime back while looking at change tracking within OpenDocument
> files, I stumbled upon the following two entries.
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Track_changes#Google_Summer_of_Code_2009:_Improve_Writer.27s_compare_function
>
> http://gsoc-tzvetelina.blogspot.in/
>
> In the above blog, the author is talking about paragraphs as a unit and
> makes a note of the algorithms he uses to narrow down the paragraphs of
> interest. I think in Org's context, outline could (also) be considered
> as a unit.

If I may advertise some things I did a while back, which may be useful to convert between textual formats:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~harmony/

We also worked on a synchronizing algorithm that mixed diff3 with our tree synchronizer. I could try to dig that up as well.

Alan

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-05 19:10   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

Hi Eric, Hi List,

> Some ideas that come
> to mind include;
> - implementing a multi-programming-language "notebook" like console
>   interface build on top of Org-mode and Babel (with both Emacs and
>   HTML interfaces)
> - adding support for asynchronous code block execution
> - adding support for piping results between code blocks allowing many
>   blocks to run concurrently (probably best combined with asynchronous
>   execution)
> - adding support for handling output written to STDERR

Eric - I added these 4 proposels to the GSoC 2012 ideas page:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/orgmode-gsoc2012-ideas.html
and put you as potential mentor - is that OK with you?

Since the deadline for the GNU application is approaching rapidly (9th
of march) I would like to encourage anybody with an Org Mode related
project idea (no matter if from a mentors or a students point of view)
to add his proposol to the ideas page.

This is a good chance for students to "flip bits, not burgers" during the
summer, paid by Google, working on their favorite software-project, and
contributing to the GNU project and the idea of free software.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
@ 2012-03-07 18:18         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Hi all,

I'm struggling to get reactions from the GNU project.

Given the rich list of Org ideas on these pages, I will
try to have Org accepted as a new organization and I will
ask GNU to vouch for Org.

If we are successful, I volunteer to work as a GSoC admin
for Org, and we will have to find mentors for the projects.

If we are not successful, then we can still try to participate
under the GNU umbrella if GNU gets accepted.

In any case, thanks for polishing ideas (by adding mentors,
detailed deliverables and deadlines) on this page:

@ 2012-03-09  1:43           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Dear all,

The Free Software Foundation will vouch for Org as a new
organization.

Is there any Googler reading this list?  If so, is this
Googler ready to vouch for Org-mode as a new organization?

That would help a lot!

In the meantime, please have a look to the last version
of the ideas page and suggest improvements wildly:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/orgmode-gsoc2012-ideas.html

Thanks!

--

@ 2012-03-09 17:17         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-03-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

> Can the org-export driver make listified headings transparent to the
> backend?

I am reluctant to fake data presented to transcoders. I am even more
reluctant when some information is lost in the process. A back-end might
need to tell the difference between an headline that should be treated
as a list and a regular list. For example some back-end with weak list
concept (limited in the types of objects lists can contain) would rather
not turn headlines into items.

Currently, the exporter API is more oriented towards showing full info,
and giving clues on how to handle it.

> Currently listified headings are handled within org-e-backend-headline
> through first-sibling and last sibling checks and the backends *do
> know* that it is handling a headline in a special way.
>
> If you have reservations in considering the above request, I believe
> handling of indented tables will be fragmented across plain-list/item
> callbacks and headline callbacks.

This is a back-end specific limitation. I guess it is unavoidable.

Though, if you think about a generic tool that could reduce the amount
of work required, I will include it in org-export.el.

Nicolas Goaziou