* more from org-babel newbie
@ 2014-04-29  1:22 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-04-29  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to get going with org-babel and lilypond music markup. I have
the system basically functioning, but there's an elementary issue I
can't seem to wrap my brain around.

The reason I'm excited to use org with lilypond files is the foldable
headers *, **, *** etc, as well as drawers and tables. However, that's
available only in an "org-mode" buffer, and I'm also wanting to use
lilypond-mode, which gives excellent colored markup and indentation. How
do I get the advantages of both? Or is that not even what I should be
after? I may be fundamentally missing what's potentially useful about
all of this for my musical use case!

Thank you,
Steven Arntson

* Re: more from org-babel newbie
@ 2014-04-29  2:02 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-04-29  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Steven,

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> The reason I'm excited to use org with lilypond files is the foldable
> headers *, **, *** etc, as well as drawers and tables. However, that's
> available only in an "org-mode" buffer, and I'm also wanting to use
> lilypond-mode, which gives excellent colored markup and indentation. How
> do I get the advantages of both? Or is that not even what I should be
> after? I may be fundamentally missing what's potentially useful about
> all of this for my musical use case!

I haven't used babel for lilypond, but the usual way to edit a source
code block in the emacs mode for the language is to press C-c ' in the
source code block.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: more from org-babel newbie
@ 2014-04-29  2:31   ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-04-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Steven,
>
> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> The reason I'm excited to use org with lilypond files is the foldable
>> headers *, **, *** etc, as well as drawers and tables. However, that's
>> available only in an "org-mode" buffer, and I'm also wanting to use
>> lilypond-mode, which gives excellent colored markup and indentation. How
>> do I get the advantages of both? Or is that not even what I should be
>> after? I may be fundamentally missing what's potentially useful about
>> all of this for my musical use case!
>
> I haven't used babel for lilypond, but the usual way to edit a source
> code block in the emacs mode for the language is to press C-c ' in the
> source code block.
>
> hth,
> Tom

This is embarrassing ... I'd tried that and hadn't managed to get it to
work, and now I realize I was using C-c ` and not C-c '. The devil is in
the details.

I'm still a little mystified about using org markup in the context of
the lilypond file, but maybe now I can do a little more experimenting.

Thank you!
Steven

* Re: more from org-babel newbie
@ 2014-04-29  2:44     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-04-29  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> I'm still a little mystified about using org markup in the context of
> the lilypond file, but maybe now I can do a little more experimenting.

Have you seen this?

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-lilypond.html

There are some example org-mode files there that might help you on your
way.

hth,
Tom
--