* Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14  9:12 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-11-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am returning to emacs after a brief try out some time ago. As Org-mode is
now part of the distribution I'm no longer too sure how to update it. Before
I had a folder for Org-mode that my .emacs file pointed to and I just copied
all the new files into that folder.

I have replaced the main org.el in the Emacs textmodes directory, which is
now launching from Emacs as 5.13i, but I'm not sure what I should be doing
with the other files

I'm on Windows and haven't been compiling the lisp files.

I also now realise how much I had to learn to get Emacs working and that
I've forgotten it all. However as org.mode is one of the main reasons for
coming back to Emacs, I would appreciate a bit of quick help to get me up
and running again.

Many thanks,

Graham

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 13:20 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-14 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Graham,

"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> I am returning to emacs after a brief try out some time ago. As Org-mode
> is now part of the distribution I'm no longer too sure how to update
> it. Before I had a folder for Org-mode that my .emacs file pointed to
> and I just copied all the new files into that folder.

Welcome back to Emacs :)

Unless you're using Emacs CVS, it's likely that you want to download the
whole Org package every now and then, and make sure you are using org.el
that comes with it.

To get the latest Org distribution, I am using Pete's script (attached).
Please have a look at it; you certainly want to modify variables to make
it work in your environment.

[-- Attachment #2: org-mode-update.sh --]
[-- Type: text/x-sh, Size: 1046 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh

# script to automate pullingthe latest org from Carsten's site
# PJP pete@smtl.co.uk
# $Revision: 1.1 $
# $Log: update-org.sh,v $
# Revision 1.1  2007/04/26 05:53:54  pete
# Initial revision

# directory where the org directory is located
DIR=$HOME/elisp/testing
ORGDIR=$DIR/org
TMP=/tmp
TMPTAR=$TMP/org.tar.gz

# This is where I keep my copy of CVS emacs.
EMACSBIN=/usr/local/bin/emacs

# you should not need to edit anything else below here

# go to the tmp dir
cd $TMP

# make sure we have the lisp dir
mkdir -p $DIR

# get the tar file
# wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz

# ORGDIR is a symbolic link. We get rid of it
rm $ORGDIR

# cd to the lisp directory
cd $DIR

# unpack the tar file
tar xzvf $TMPTAR

# what is the new directory name?
ORGVER=`tar tvf $TMPTAR | head -1 | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -d' ' -f6`

# remake the link...
ln -s $ORGVER org

# make ...
cd $ORGDIR
mv Makefile Makefile.orig
sed s:EMACS=emacs:EMACS=$EMACSBIN: < Makefile.orig > Makefile
make

To load the most recent org.el, always put it in the same location and
add this location to your load-path in ~/.emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/testing/org/")

Then doing a simple (require 'org-install) somewhere after this should
do the trick.  It will override any org.el that you might already have
in your .../emacs/lisp/ directory.

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 13:49   ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-11-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

Thanks but that is roughly what I "think" I was doing and didn't work.

I have a directory called "emacsaddins" with a subdirectory called
"Orgmode".

Together with lines in .emacs to load and require orgmode from that
directory.

In the past I have just overwritten the contents of the "Orgmode" directory
with the latest release and that has then been the version then loaded in
Emacs.

On this occasion I over wrote the contents of the orgmode directory with
5.13i, but Emacs still loaded 4.67. hence my question about updating because
what I was doing in the past didn't work. Which I assumed was because
OrgMode was part of Emacs now.

Having said that the lines in my .emac is slightly different.

(add-to-list 'load-path "C:\\Program Files\\EmacAddIns\\org-mode")
 (require 'org)

but this seemed to work in the past

I'm afraid I don't know how to use the script you have attached :-(

Sorry I'm being so dim

Graham
On 14/11/2007, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> "Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am returning to emacs after a brief try out some time ago. As Org-mode
> > is now part of the distribution I'm no longer too sure how to update
> > it. Before I had a folder for Org-mode that my .emacs file pointed to
> > and I just copied all the new files into that folder.
>
> Welcome back to Emacs :)
>
> Unless you're using Emacs CVS, it's likely that you want to download the
> whole Org package every now and then, and make sure you are using org.el
> that comes with it.
>
> To get the latest Org distribution, I am using Pete's script (attached).
> Please have a look at it; you certainly want to modify variables to make
> it work in your environment.
>

> To load the most recent org.el, always put it in the same location and
> add this location to your load-path in ~/.emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/testing/org/")
>
> Then doing a simple (require 'org-install) somewhere after this should
> do the trick.  It will override any org.el that you might already have
> in your .../emacs/lisp/ directory.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 14:07     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-14 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> Having said that the lines in my .emac is slightly different.
>
> (Add-to-list 'load-path "C:\\Program Files\\EmacAddIns\\org-mode")
   ^

I guess this should come in lower-case, no?

(Very unlikely the erro comes from this though, this should return an
error...)

> I'm afraid I don't know how to use the script you have attached :-(

Maybe Windows people in this list have other ways of automating the
process of updating their Org installation -- and will share on the
list...

--
Bastien

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 15:51   ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2007-11-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastein;

Dumb lazy question:

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 13:20 +0000, Bastien wrote:

> To load the most recent org.el, always put it in the same location and
> add this location to your load-path in ~/.emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/testing/org/")
>
> Then doing a simple (require 'org-install) somewhere after this should
> do the trick.  It will override any org.el that you might already have
> in your .../emacs/lisp/ directory.

Does this also work on a Linux box (Fedora7 ==> Fc8)?

--
Regards Bill

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 16:37     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Case; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

>> To load the most recent org.el, always put it in the same location and
>> add this location to your load-path in ~/.emacs:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/testing/org/")
>>
>> Then doing a simple (require 'org-install) somewhere after this should
>> do the trick.  It will override any org.el that you might already have
>> in your .../emacs/lisp/ directory.
>>
> Does this also work on a Linux box (Fedora7 ==> Fc8)?

Sure it does!  Emacs is Emacs.

--
Bastien

* Re: Updating OrgMode
@ 2007-11-14 18:54       ` Tony Mc
From: Tony Mc @ 2007-11-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:07:35 +0000, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> "Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Having said that the lines in my .emac is slightly different.
> >
> > (Add-to-list 'load-path "C:\\Program Files\\EmacAddIns\\org-mode")
>    ^
>
> I guess this should come in lower-case, no?
>
> (Very unlikely the erro comes from this though, this should return an
> error...)
>
> > I'm afraid I don't know how to use the script you have attached :-(
>
> Maybe Windows people in this list have other ways of automating the
> process of updating their Org installation -- and will share on the
> list...

Graham,

if you have 4NT you can use the following batch file to do the
installation. Obviously you should change the directories at the top
of the file to suit your setup. Just download the latest org-xxx.zip
and then do org_update xxx and emacs will use the latest org-mode. I
have

(setq load-path
      (cons "~/.emacs.d/elisp" load-path))

in my .emacs so that emacs knows to look there for addon packages. I
also have an environment variable INFOPATH set to include
~/.elisp.d/info before the standard emacs info directory, so that info
in emacs picks up the documentation for the latest version.

HTH, Tony

-------------------- Batch file org_update.btm -------------------
@ECHO OFF
REM Update the Emacs org-mode automatically
REM Usage: org_update xxx
REM   to update to version xxx

SETLOCAL
SET ORGFILES=org-%1
SET EMACS=C:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
SET EMACS_OPTS=--batch -q -f batch-byte-compile
SET ELISPDIR=D:\.emacs.d\elisp
SET INFODIR=D:\.emacs.d\info
SET DOWNLOADDIR=D:\Downloads\Editors\Emacs\Elisp
SET ORGZIPFILE=%ORGFILES.zip

REM Unpack the downloaded file in a temp directory
CDD %DOWNLOADDIR
unzip -d %TEMP\ -o %ORGZIPFILE
CDD %TEMP\%ORGFILES

REM Compile the Elisp sources
FOR %f in (org*.el) %EMACS %EMACS_OPTS %f

REM Copy parts of the archive to where Emacs can find them
COPY org*.el org*.elc %ELISPDIR\
COPY org %INFODIR\
COPY org.pdf orgcard.pdf %DOWNLOADDIR\

REM Cleanup temp files
CDD %TEMP\
DEL %ORGFILES\*.* /s /x /y
ENDLOCAL

* Updating orgmode
@ 2012-06-08  1:09 Vikas Rawal
       [not found] ` <uvh8a9x1fu.ln2@news.c0t0d0s0.de>
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2012-06-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a debian system. I am trying to update orgmode using git. But
M-x org-version continues to show me version 7.7. How do I find where
is it picking up this version from? It seems to me that this is the
default version that shipped with my emacs. Debian repository has a
more updated version (7.8.09) in its repositories. But I do not see
much point in install it.

I could compile org correctly. The compiler seems to have installed
orgmode in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org. But somehow emacs does not
seem to be picking it  up from there.

Will much appreciate help.

Thanks,

Vikas

* Re: Updating orgmode
@ 2012-06-08 14:42 ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
       [not found] ` <uvh8a9x1fu.ln2@news.c0t0d0s0.de>
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-06-08 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Vikas Rawal

Hello,

I had a similar issue when setting up Org on a Debian system lately.
For some reason Emacs was not adding a =subdirs.el= file to
=/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/=.

Including the following provided the desired result:

,---(/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el)---------------
| ;; -*- no-byte-compile: t -*-
| (if (fboundp 'normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
|     (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
`---------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Jonathan

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Vikas Rawal
<vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:
> I have a debian system. I am trying to update orgmode using git. But
> M-x org-version continues to show me version 7.7. How do I find where
> is it picking up this version from? It seems to me that this is the
> default version that shipped with my emacs. Debian repository has a
> more updated version (7.8.09) in its repositories. But I do not see
> much point in install it.
>
> I could compile org correctly. The compiler seems to have installed
> orgmode in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org. But somehow emacs does not
> seem to be picking it  up from there.
>
> Will much appreciate help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vikas

* Re: Updating orgmode
       [not found] ` <uvh8a9x1fu.ln2@news.c0t0d0s0.de>
@ 2012-06-08 15:10   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-06-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> You might use 'M-x find-library' and at the prompt type 'org.el' to
> discover which version is loaded by Emacs.

Also useful: M-x list-load-path-shadows

hth
Memnon