* Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17  6:26 Philip J. Hollenback
From: Philip J. Hollenback @ 2010-08-17  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've got a basic org-mode 7.01h + beamer setup working and am able to
create and export presentations.  However I am completely unable to
create presentations with blocks in them.  I've followed the examples on
the website such as http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer.php
with no success.

When I try to write a presentation with blocks, I find that instead of
blocks I end up with nested lists in the frames.  The LaTeX output shows
no \block structures.

Can anyone suggest what in my setup might be preventing blocks from
working?  I'm really baffled at this point.

Thanks,
P.
--
Philip J. Hollenback
philiph@pobox.com

* Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17 15:31 Philip J. Hollenback
From: Philip J. Hollenback @ 2010-08-17 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've got a basic org-mode 7.01g + beamer setup working and am able to
create and export presentations.  However I am completely unable to
create presentations with blocks in them.  I've followed the examples on
the website such as http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer.php
with no success.

When I try to write a presentation with blocks, I find that instead of
blocks I end up with nested lists in the frames.  The LaTeX output shows
no \block structures.  I see no error messages in any of my emacs
buffers. I should note that I'm running Aquamacs 1.9 on the mac.

Can anyone suggest what in my setup might be preventing blocks from
working?  I'm really baffled at this point.

Thanks,
P.
--
Philip J. Hollenback
philiph@pobox.com
www.hollenback.net

* Re: Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17 20:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip J. Hollenback; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:26:29 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback" <philiph@pobox.com> wrote:

> I've got a basic org-mode 7.01h + beamer setup working and am able to
> create and export presentations.  However I am completely unable to
> create presentations with blocks in them.  I've followed the examples on
> the website such as http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer.php
> with no success.
>
> When I try to write a presentation with blocks, I find that instead of
> blocks I end up with nested lists in the frames.  The LaTeX output shows
> no \block structures.
>
> Can anyone suggest what in my setup might be preventing blocks from
> working?  I'm really baffled at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> P.

What have you defined in your org setup at the start of the tile.  In
particular, this line in the example presentation on Worg is crucial:

specifically the H:3 bit that tells org to use up to 3 levels of
headings or else level headlines get treated like lists, as far as I
remember.

In any case, can you send me an example that doesn't work that I can
try?

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17 22:11   ` Philip J. Hollenback
From: Philip J. Hollenback @ 2010-08-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:29 +0100, "Eric S Fraga" <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:
> What have you defined in your org setup at the start of the tile.  In
> particular, this line in the example presentation on Worg is crucial:

> specifically the H:3 bit that tells org to use up to 3 levels of
> headings or else level headlines get treated like lists, as far as I
> remember.
>
> In any case, can you send me an example that doesn't work that I can
> try?

Sure, here's the presentation.org from the website, which does have that
OPTIONS line.  It produces no blocks for me:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+TITLE: Example Presentation
#+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Copenhagen}\usecolortheme{default}
#+COLUMNS: %35ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* This is the first structural section

** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle
*** Thanks to Eric Fraga
:B_block:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :END:
    for the first viable beamer setup in Org
*** Thanks to everyone else
:B_block:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
    :END:
    for contributing to the discussion
** Frame 2 \\ Like 1, but now with explicit columns
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_extra: \transblindsvertical[duration=1]
    :END:
*** columns
:B_columns:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: columns
    :END:
**** 0.5
:B_column:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_env: column
     :END:
***** Thanks to Eric Fraga
:B_block:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_env: block
      :BEAMER_col:
      :END:
      for the first viable beamer setup in Org

**** 0.5
:B_column:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_env: column
     :END:

***** Thanks to everyone else
:B_block:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_col:
      :BEAMER_env: block
      :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
      :END:
      for contributing to the discussion
** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
*** Request
:B_block:
    Please test this stuff!

and here's the corresponding latex output:

% Created 2010-08-17 Tue 15:10
\documentclass[presentation]{beamer}

      \mode<{{{beamermode}}}>

      \usetheme{{{{beamertheme}}}}

      \usecolortheme{{{{beamercolortheme}}}}

      \beamertemplateballitem

      \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

      \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

      \usepackage{hyperref}

      \usepackage{color}
      \usepackage{listings}
      \usepackage{verbatim}

      \institute{{{{beamerinstitute}}}}

      \subject{{{{beamersubject}}}}

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
\providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\title{Example Presentation}
\author{Carsten Dominik}
\date{17 August 2010}

\usetheme{Copenhagen}\usecolortheme{default}
\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{Outline}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\end{frame}

\section{This is the first structural section}
\label{sec-1}
\begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 1}
\label{sec-1_1}
\begin{itemize}

\item Thanks to Eric Fraga\\
\label{sec-1_1_1}%
for the first viable beamer setup in Org

\item Thanks to everyone else\\
\label{sec-1_1_2}%
for contributing to the discussion
\end{itemize} % ends low level
\end{frame}
\begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 2}
\label{sec-1_2}
\begin{itemize}

\item columns
\label{sec-1_2_1}%
\begin{itemize}

\item 0.5
\label{sec-1_2_1_1}%
\begin{itemize}

\item Thanks to Eric Fraga\\
\label{sec-1_2_1_1_1}%
for the first viable beamer setup in Org

\end{itemize} % ends low level

\item 0.5\\
\label{sec-1_2_1_2}%
\begin{itemize}

\item Thanks to everyone else\\
\label{sec-1_2_1_2_1}%
for contributing to the discussion
\end{itemize} % ends low level
\end{itemize} % ends low level
\end{itemize} % ends low level
\end{frame}
\begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 2}
\label{sec-1_3}
\begin{itemize}

\item Request\\
\label{sec-1_3_1}%
Please test this stuff!\end{itemize} % ends low level
\end{frame}

\end{document}
--
Philip J. Hollenback
philiph@pobox.com

* Re: Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17 22:24     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-08-17 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip J. Hollenback; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Philip:

All of the :B_block: and :B_column: dealios show up literally in my export.
Am I missing a package or something else?

See the attached pics for examples.

Best regards,
John

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Philip J. Hollenback <philiph@pobox.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
>      \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
>      \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
>      \usepackage{hyperref}
>
>      \usepackage{color}
>      \usepackage{listings}
>      \usepackage{verbatim}
>
>      \institute{{{{beamerinstitute}}}}
>
>      \subject{{{{beamersubject}}}}
>
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{fixltx2e}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{longtable}
> \usepackage{float}
> \usepackage{wrapfig}
> \usepackage{soul}
> \usepackage{t1enc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \usepackage{marvosym}
> \usepackage{wasysym}
> \usepackage{latexsym}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \tolerance=1000
> \providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}
>
> \title{Example Presentation}
> \author{Carsten Dominik}
> \date{17 August 2010}
>
> \usetheme{Copenhagen}\usecolortheme{default}
> \begin{document}
>
> \maketitle
>
> \begin{frame}
> \frametitle{Outline}
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
> \tableofcontents
> \end{frame}
>
> \section{This is the first structural section}
> \label{sec-1}
> \begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 1}
> \label{sec-1_1}
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item Thanks to Eric Fraga\\
> \label{sec-1_1_1}%
> for the first viable beamer setup in Org
>
> \item Thanks to everyone else\\
> \label{sec-1_1_2}%
> for contributing to the discussion
> \end{itemize} % ends low level
> \end{frame}
> \begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 2}
> \label{sec-1_2}
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item columns
> \label{sec-1_2_1}%
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item 0.5
> \label{sec-1_2_1_1}%
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item Thanks to Eric Fraga\\
> \label{sec-1_2_1_1_1}%
> for the first viable beamer setup in Org
>
> \end{itemize} % ends low level
>
> \item 0.5\\
> \label{sec-1_2_1_2}%
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item Thanks to everyone else\\
> \label{sec-1_2_1_2_1}%
> for contributing to the discussion
> \end{itemize} % ends low level
> \end{itemize} % ends low level
> \end{itemize} % ends low level
> \end{frame}
> \begin{frame}[fragile]\frametitle{Frame 2}
> \label{sec-1_3}
> \begin{itemize}
>
> \item Request\\
> \label{sec-1_3_1}%
> Please test this stuff!\end{itemize} % ends low level

[-- Attachment #2: beamer1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 26351 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: beamer2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 39390 bytes --]

* Re: Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-17 22:37     ` Eric S Fraga
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-17 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip J. Hollenback; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:11:10 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback" <philiph@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:29 +0100, "Eric S Fraga" <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > What have you defined in your org setup at the start of the tile.  In
> > particular, this line in the example presentation on Worg is crucial:

> > specifically the H:3 bit that tells org to use up to 3 levels of
> > headings or else level headlines get treated like lists, as far as I
> > remember.
> >
> > In any case, can you send me an example that doesn't work that I can
> > try?
>
> Sure, here's the presentation.org from the website, which does have that
> OPTIONS line.  It produces no blocks for me:
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> #+TITLE: Example Presentation
> #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik

[...]

That is the old tutorial.  Check out this one:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php

with associated presentation file which seems to have been munged
somehow on Worg (well, on the web site; the git repository has the
right version) so here it is attached.

I hope this helps.  I think the key is that you are missing the
startup beamer option?

#+TITLE:     Writing Beamer presentations in org-mode
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2010-03-30 Tue
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

#+startup: oddeven

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

#+COLUMNS: %20ITEM %13BEAMER_env(Env) %6BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %7BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Introduction
** Overview
- org-mode template
- beamer structure
- beamer settings

* Methodology

** A simple slide
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:
- the first, very @important@, point!
- the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
  translates to the Beamer specific /alert/ command for highlighting
  text.
The above list could be numbered or any other type of list and may
include sub-lists.

** A more complex slide
This slide illustrates the use of Beamer blocks.  The following text,
with its own headline, is displayed in a block:
*** Org mode increases productivity				  :B_theorem:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: theorem
    :END:
    - org mode means not having to remember \LaTeX commands.
    - it is based on ascii text which is inherently portable.
    - Emacs!

    \hfill \(\qed\)

** Two columns

*** A block					      :B_ignoreheading:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :BEAMER_col: 0.4
    :END:
    - this slide consists of two columns
    - the first (left) column has no heading and consists of text
    - the second (right) column has an image and is enclosed in an
      @example@ block

*** A screenshot 					    :BMCOL:B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.6
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:
    #+ATTR_LATEX: width=\textwidth
    [[file:../../images/org-beamer/a-simple-slide.png]]

* Conclusions

** Summary
   - org is an incredible tool for time management
   - @but@ it is also excellent for writing and for preparing presentations
   - Beamer is a very powerful \LaTeX{} package for presentations
   - the combination is unbeatable!

* Problems

** Some problems
   - the =verbatim= markup doesn't seem to export properly.

@ 2010-08-17 23:11       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-08-17 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

Eric -- is the link to the file download broken? It looks like a footnote or
[[link][]] might have missed a bracket? I'm assuming that footnote 1 is
supposed to link to the example file being used for the tutorial, that is.

John

@ 2010-08-17 23:29       ` Philip J. Hollenback
From: Philip J. Hollenback @ 2010-08-17 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hm no luck.  I tried the updated presentation.org and posted the
resulting pdf on scribd:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36035983/Presentation

some interesting problems:

1. title missing from title page
2. @important@ is rendered as @important@
3. missing QED image

and of course no blocks.  I think something is going horribly wrong with
the conversion to latex here but I'm unsure what.  Is there some
debugging I can turn on to try to figure out what isn't being loaded?
I've definitely got the #+startup: beamer line now.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:37 +0100, "Eric S Fraga" <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:11:10 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback"
> <philiph@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:29 +0100, "Eric S Fraga" <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
> > wrote:
> > > What have you defined in your org setup at the start of the tile.  In
> > > particular, this line in the example presentation on Worg is crucial:

> > > specifically the H:3 bit that tells org to use up to 3 levels of
> > > headings or else level headlines get treated like lists, as far as I
> > > remember.
> > >
> > > In any case, can you send me an example that doesn't work that I can
> > > try?
> >
> > Sure, here's the presentation.org from the website, which does have that
> > OPTIONS line.  It produces no blocks for me:
> >
> > #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> > #+TITLE: Example Presentation
> > #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
>
> [...]
>
> That is the old tutorial.  Check out this one:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
>
> with associated presentation file which seems to have been munged
> somehow on Worg (well, on the web site; the git repository has the
> right version) so here it is attached.
>
> I hope this helps.  I think the key is that you are missing the
> startup beamer option?
>

> --
> Eric S Fraga
> GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

Philip J. Hollenback
philiph@pobox.com
www.hollenback.net

* [beamer] Worg tutorial link broken (was Re: Baffled by beamer blocks)
@ 2010-08-18 10:08         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-18 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:11:52 -0500, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Eric -- is the link to the file download broken? It looks like a footnote or
> [[link][]] might have missed a bracket? I'm assuming that footnote 1 is
> supposed to link to the example file being used for the tutorial, that is.

yes, the link is broken.  I have no idea how to fix it;  I didn't
install this on Worg as I had problems with git etc.  Maybe somebody
else can fix this?

Thanks,
eric

@ 2010-08-18 10:09         ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]           ` <AANLkTikXaTqYPfegtBrZnTRoFrRnwVQxHR=3+5pzBNuO@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-18 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip J. Hollenback; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:29:03 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback" <philiph@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hm no luck.  I tried the updated presentation.org and posted the
> resulting pdf on scribd:
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/36035983/Presentation
>
> some interesting problems:
>
> 1. title missing from title page
> 2. @important@ is rendered as @important@
> 3. missing QED image
>
> and of course no blocks.  I think something is going horribly wrong with
> the conversion to latex here but I'm unsure what.  Is there some
> debugging I can turn on to try to figure out what isn't being loaded?
> I've definitely got the #+startup: beamer line now.

What version of org are you using?  This is very puzzling.  The file I
sent you works perfectly fine for me...  and I have no special
settings in my configuration that relate to beamer.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: [BUG] Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-18 10:36       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-18 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> with associated presentation file which seems to have been munged
> somehow on Worg (well, on the web site; the git repository has the
> right version) so here it is attached.

I tried to fix it but it's actually a bug in the current HTML export:
links within inlined footnotes get wrongly exported.

Here is a test file to reproduce the problem.

[-- Attachment #2: test.org --]

#+TITLE:     test.org

* Test

Some text[fn:1: This is a [[http://orgmode.org][link]].].

 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Baffled by beamer blocks
@ 2010-08-18 10:46         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-18 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:36:42 +0200, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > with associated presentation file which seems to have been munged
> > somehow on Worg (well, on the web site; the git repository has the
> > right version) so here it is attached.
>
> I tried to fix it but it's actually a bug in the current HTML export:
> links within inlined footnotes get wrongly exported.
>
> Here is a test file to reproduce the problem.

I can confirm this.  The parsing of the footnote ends prematurely with
the first ] in the link, it would appear.

- Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.156.g7679)
- GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
  2010-08-14 on raven, modified by Debian

@ 2010-08-18 14:32             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-08-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:29:03 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback" <
>> philiph@pobox.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hm no luck.  I tried the updated presentation.org and posted the
>> > resulting pdf on scribd:
>> >
>> > http://www.scribd.com/doc/36035983/Presentation
>> >
>> > some interesting problems:
>> >
>> > 1. title missing from title page
>> > 2. @important@ is rendered as @important@
>> > 3. missing QED image
>> >
>> > and of course no blocks.  I think something is going horribly wrong with
>> > the conversion to latex here but I'm unsure what.  Is there some
>> > debugging I can turn on to try to figure out what isn't being loaded?
>> > I've definitely got the #+startup: beamer line now.
>>
>> What version of org are you using?  This is very puzzling.  The file I
>> sent you works perfectly fine for me...  and I have no special
>> settings in my configuration that relate to beamer.
>>

> Eric,
>
> I have the title and QED image, but @important@ is rendered literally. See
> the attached .org, .pdf, and .tex files. Where is the markup for @word@provided (who translates @ in org to red/emphasized text in the output PDF)?
> I can't find it in the orgmode manual:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Emphasis-and-monospace.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
>
> John

Eric,

Update: As was perhaps obvious, @ is not getting translated to \alert{}. I
couldn't remember what it was called. If I remove the @ markup and replace
it directly with \alert{example}, it works perfectly. Not sure why it's not
working.

@ 2010-08-18 14:40             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:23:26 -0500, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Eric,
>
> I have the title and QED image, but @important@ is rendered literally. See
> the attached .org, .pdf, and .tex files. Where is the markup for
> @word@provided (who translates @ in org to red/emphasized text in the
> output PDF)?
> I can't find it in the orgmode manual:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Emphasis-and-monospace.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
>
> John

I thought the processing of @...@ for alerts in beamer was the default
but it turns out I have the following settings which add @ to convert
text to alert in beamer and bold in HTML exports.

(setq org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>")
      				 ("/" italic "<i>" "</i>")
      				 ("_" underline "<span style=\"text-decoration:underline;\">" "</span>")
      				 ("=" org-code "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("~" org-verbatim "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("+" (:strike-through t) "<del>" "</del>")
      				 ("@" org-warning "<b>" "</b>")))
      org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
      				       (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
      					("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
      					("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
      					("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
      					("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
      					("~" "\\verb~%s~" t)
      					("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)))
      )

I'm not sure what the default is but you can see what you've got by
looking at these two variables.

@ 2010-08-18 15:04               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-18 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode, Philip J. Hollenback

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:40:30 +0100, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:23:26 -0500, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> [...]
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > I have the title and QED image, but @important@ is rendered literally. See
> > the attached .org, .pdf, and .tex files. Where is the markup for
> > @word@provided (who translates @ in org to red/emphasized text in the
> > output PDF)?
> > I can't find it in the orgmode manual:
> > http://orgmode.org/manual/Emphasis-and-monospace.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
> >
> > John
>
> I thought the processing of @...@ for alerts in beamer was the default
> but it turns out I have the following settings which add @ to convert
> text to alert in beamer and bold in HTML exports.

> (setq org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>")
>       				 ("/" italic "<i>" "</i>")
>       				 ("_" underline "<span style=\"text-decoration:underline;\">" "</span>")
>       				 ("=" org-code "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
>       				 ("~" org-verbatim "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
>       				 ("+" (:strike-through t) "<del>" "</del>")
>       				 ("@" org-warning "<b>" "</b>")))
>       org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
>       				       (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
>       					("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
>       					("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
>       					("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
>       					("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
>       					("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)))
>       )
>
> I'm not sure what the default is but you can see what you've got by
> looking at these two variables.

I should also add that, if you are wanting to use the same org
document for both beamer and normal latex export, you should add the
following command to the org file setup:

#+latex_header: \ifx\alert\undefined\let\alert\textbf\fi

this defines \alert for non-beamer use to be equivalent to \textbf.