* B_column does not insert :BEAMER_COL:
@ 2016-05-26  8:07 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-05-26  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

When I set the B_column environment, the property :BEAMER_env: is as
expected, automatically set to =column=, but exporting to beamer results
in an error as the environment is is not actually used in the resulting
latex file. The environment is only correctly created, if the
property :BEAMER_COL: is added.

This is counter-intuitive and not obvious. Would it be possible to
add :BEAMER_COL: automatically as well?

Thanks,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: B_column does not insert :BEAMER_COL:
@ 2016-05-26  8:34 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-26  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> When I set the B_column environment, the property :BEAMER_env: is as
> expected, automatically set to =column=, but exporting to beamer results
> in an error as the environment is is not actually used in the resulting
> latex file. The environment is only correctly created, if the
> property :BEAMER_COL: is added.
>
> This is counter-intuitive and not obvious. Would it be possible to
> add :BEAMER_COL: automatically as well?

I think the column environment is a left-over for previous
implementation and should be removed.

Couldn't you use BMCOL instead ("|")?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: B_column does not insert :BEAMER_COL:
@ 2016-05-26 10:07   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-05-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> When I set the B_column environment, the property :BEAMER_env: is as
>> expected, automatically set to =column=, but exporting to beamer results
>> in an error as the environment is is not actually used in the resulting
>> latex file. The environment is only correctly created, if the
>> property :BEAMER_COL: is added.
>>
>> This is counter-intuitive and not obvious. Would it be possible to
>> add :BEAMER_COL: automatically as well?
>
> I think the column environment is a left-over for previous
> implementation and should be removed.
>
> Couldn't you use BMCOL instead ("|")?

Right - that works. But Why do the others have B_ names, while this
environment has BMCOL?

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

@ 2016-05-26 12:23     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Right - that works. But Why do the others have B_ names, while this
> environment has BMCOL?

"BMCOL" is a terrible name. However, it is not an environment per se
since it controls both "columns" and "column" environments.

There is a use-case for handling "columns" independently on "BMCOL"
(i.e., add specific options to the environment). I'm not so sure about
"column". There might be the same reason.

* Re: B_column does not insert :BEAMER_COL:
@ 2016-05-26 13:25       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-05-26 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Right - that works. But Why do the others have B_ names, while this
>> environment has BMCOL?
>
> "BMCOL" is a terrible name. However, it is not an environment per se
> since it controls both "columns" and "column" environments.

To quote from the Beamer Manual (emphasis added):

12.7 Splitting a Frame into Multiple Columns:

,----
| The *main environment for creating columns* is called columns. Inside
| this environment, you can either place several *column environments*,
| each of which creates a new column, or use the \column command to
| create new columns.
`----

But I think you are referring to BMCOL. This adds the :BEAMER_col:
property, which is converted on export to the column environment with
the given width, i.e. the same as B_column plus the width in
PROPERTIES. As far as I see, it does nothing with the columns
(B_columns) environment - or am I missing something here?

> There is a use-case for handling "columns" independently on "BMCOL"
> (i.e., add specific options to the environment). I'm not so sure about
> "column". There might be the same reason.

I don't think one can use B_columns without specifying the width
in :PROPERTIES: and nothing stops me to add additional PROPERTIES in the
BMCOL property.

Rainer

--

@ 2016-05-26 13:54         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-26 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> This adds the :BEAMER_col: property, which is converted on export to
> the column environment with the given width, i.e. the same as B_column
> plus the width in PROPERTIES. As far as I see, it does nothing with
> the columns (B_columns) environment - or am I missing something here?

If you look to the generated LaTeX code, you should see that there is
a both a "columns" and a "column" environment even though you only
specify BMCOL.

> I don't think one can use B_columns without specifying the width
> in :PROPERTIES:

Of course not. AFAIR, there is no width attribute for "columns" in
Beamer. B_columns is meant to be used in addition to BMCOL, when options
the latter provides are not enough.

> and nothing stops me to add additional PROPERTIES in the BMCOL
> property.

Only if you don't use it along with other environment. Otherwise, the
properties apply to the other environment.