* Array of identical images?
@ 2018-06-14 14:40 Loris Bennett
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-14 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

For a beamer slide I'd like to have a 2D array of a single PNG-image
(the single image is a desktop computer, the array is intended to
represent a cluster of computers).  I could presumably just create a
LaTeX table and include the image in each cell.

Does anyone know of a better idiom?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Array of identical images?
@ 2018-06-14 15:07 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> For a beamer slide I'd like to have a 2D array of a single PNG-image
> (the single image is a desktop computer, the array is intended to
> represent a cluster of computers).  I could presumably just create a
> LaTeX table and include the image in each cell.
>
> Does anyone know of a better idiom?

An Org kludge is just to create lots of narrow columns and include the
image multiple times in each column.  It looks a bit ugly in the org
file, but the result is quite pleasing.

@ 2018-06-14 15:22 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-06-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 14 Jun 2018 at 16:40, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a beamer slide I'd like to have a 2D array of a single PNG-image
> (the single image is a desktop computer, the array is intended to
> represent a cluster of computers).  I could presumably just create a
> LaTeX table and include the image in each cell.

This is what I did in a recent (well, 3 years ago now) talk.  I had a 4
column table where each entry in odd numbered rows was an image and the
even numbered rows were captions for the image above each caption.  I
had this line just before the table:

  #+attr_latex: :align p{2.25cm}p{2.25cm}p{2.25cm}p{2.25cm} :font \tiny

The image links were file:xxx.png with no description element.  Worked
perfectly fine.

Screenshot of part of the slide attached for illustration.

[-- Attachment #1.2: screendump-20180614162103.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 180599 bytes --]

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-783-g97fac4

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Array of identical images?
@ 2018-06-14 15:24 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-06-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 14 Jun 2018 at 16:40, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a beamer slide I'd like to have a 2D array of a single PNG-image
> (the single image is a desktop computer, the array is intended to
> represent a cluster of computers).  I could presumably just create a
> LaTeX table and include the image in each cell.

Of course, an alternative would be to use tikz to loop over x and y and
include the same image at various points to create a single image (as
far as org is concerned)?

--

@ 2018-06-15  7:59   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, 14 Jun 2018 at 16:40, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For a beamer slide I'd like to have a 2D array of a single PNG-image
>> (the single image is a desktop computer, the array is intended to
>> represent a cluster of computers).  I could presumably just create a
>> LaTeX table and include the image in each cell.
>
> Of course, an alternative would be to use tikz to loop over x and y and
> include the same image at various points to create a single image (as
> far as org is concerned)?

Ah yes, tikz had slipped my mind, but that sounds like the right
solution.  I'll probably stick with my kludge in the current case, but
next time I'll do it properly ;-)

Thanks,

Loris