* Org tiny changes?
@ 2012-04-29  3:24 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-04-29  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, everybody.

I might not be following the mailing list closely enough… May I check
with you, just in case I should rather chase an error on my side?

* It now seems that UNDER\_LINE, while producing HTML, is now rendering
  the backslash instead of removing it.  The backslash was previously
  required so "LINE" is not shown as a subscript for "UNDER".  Today, if
  I use UNDER_LINE, it gets rendered as is, without the need of a
  backslash.

* Whenever a date is generated (through "C-c !" say) or adjusted, the
  day of the week has a period appended.  That is, where I was
  previously getting "[2012-04-28 sam]", I now get "[2012-04-28 sam.]".

Are these changes on purpose?  If yes, I'll mass edit my files so they
become consistent with the new behavior.  If not, please advise me. ☺

François

P.S. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a fresh partition today, and observed
the changes after the fact (and after having re-installed Org from Git).
This is probably a mere coincidence, I would not be tempted to think the
upgrading of Ubuntu has a consequence on the Org changes I'm seeing.

Oh, by the way, Org now installs in /usr/local/emacs/site-lisp/org/,
while it used to go within /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/.  That's
another change which I presume willful, and to which I quickly adjusted.

* Re: Org tiny changes?
@ 2012-04-29  8:28 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-29  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi François,

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> * It now seems that UNDER\_LINE, while producing HTML, is now rendering
>   the backslash instead of removing it.  The backslash was previously
>   required so "LINE" is not shown as a subscript for "UNDER".  Today, if
>   I use UNDER_LINE, it gets rendered as is, without the need of a
>   backslash.

Can you give us a hint on what versions you're comparing here?

> * Whenever a date is generated (through "C-c !" say) or adjusted, the
>   day of the week has a period appended.  That is, where I was
>   previously getting "[2012-04-28 sam]", I now get "[2012-04-28 sam.]".

IIRC, this is a change in calendar.  But you don't need to update your
old timestamps, Org understands them.

> P.S. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a fresh partition today, and observed
> the changes after the fact (and after having re-installed Org from Git).
> This is probably a mere coincidence, I would not be tempted to think the
> upgrading of Ubuntu has a consequence on the Org changes I'm seeing.

Please give us raw version numbers.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org tiny changes?
@ 2012-04-30 20:53   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-04-30 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi François,

>> It now seems that UNDER\_LINE, while producing HTML, is now rendering
>> the backslash instead of removing it.  [...] I would not be tempted
>> to think the upgrading of Ubuntu has a consequence on the Org changes
>> I'm seeing.

> Can you give us a hint on what versions you're comparing here?  [...]
> Please give us raw version numbers.

Nicely, org-mode/.git/logs/HEAD also contains a trace of all pull
operations and reached commits.  Well, the dates are not in the clear,
which is a minor inconvenience.  My real problem is that I do not having
good memory of times, so even seeing the dates, it is uneasy for me to
be really assertive about when, and so for which commit, everything
worked as I expect.  I could bisect if the matter becomes important.

I came to suspect a mix of Org Emacs Lisp files from the Ubuntu bundled
Emacs, prefix=/usr, and those coming from Git, prefix=/usr/local/.
Right or wrong, I came to suspect this because the installation of Org
from Git goes to a different place (at least for me) now that the
Makefile has been reshuffled.

Indeed, LTTng 2.0 quickly reveals that there is a problem somewhere,
which i still have to identify.  The existence of this tool is worth
sharing: now provided within Ubuntu 12.04 through package lttng-tools,
and is immensely more powerful than strace, and has much less overhead
too.  You might have to add "tracing" to yourself in /etc/group first.
If curious, visit https://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng-tools/wiki .

In a word, I'm more likely to think that the problem really happened
after I upgraded Ubuntu, because its Emacs contains Org already, and
because I install Org from Git within /usr/local instead.

Let me to understand more closely how the mix is happening here.  If I
find nothing, I'll likely be back, and you'll read me moaning again :-).

>> * Whenever a date is generated (through "C-c !" say) or adjusted, the
>>   day of the week has a period appended.  That is, where I was
>>   previously getting "[2012-04-28 sam]", I now get "[2012-04-28 sam.]".

> IIRC, this is a change in calendar.  But you don't need to update your
> old timestamps, Org understands them.

Even if it does, the HTML rendering has a non-uniform presentation.  I
would rather adjust all timestamps.  A bit of work, but not that much!
I'll wait a bit more before doing it, just to get a better feeling that
the change is going to stay (and not a consequence of the confusion
explained above).

Thanks for your patience with me!

François

* Re: Org tiny changes?
@ 2012-05-01 11:34     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi François,

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> I came to suspect a mix of Org Emacs Lisp files from the Ubuntu bundled
> Emacs, prefix=/usr, and those coming from Git, prefix=/usr/local/.
> Right or wrong, I came to suspect this because the installation of Org
> from Git goes to a different place (at least for me) now that the
> Makefile has been reshuffled.

The new Makefile install Org at the same place than the old one,
so probably the change in the location of Emacs comes from Ubuntu.

> Thanks for your patience with me!

You're welcome :)

--
 Bastien