* Error opening an .org file
@ 2022-10-27 15:11 Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2022-10-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I try to open a simple file in emacs, I receive this error

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘/Users/renatopontefice/.emacs.d/init.el’:

Invalid read syntax: ), 1, 0

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable showing Disable logging

So the prob is on my init.el file. What error it could be?

Thank you

Renato

* Re: Error opening an .org file
@ 2022-10-27 15:50 ` tomas
       [not found]   ` <624F24A1-CC82-45F5-8CB2-D9423A86E023@gmail.com>
From: tomas @ 2022-10-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 05:11:32PM +0200, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> When I try to open a simple file in emacs, I receive this error
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘/Users/renatopontefice/.emacs.d/init.el’:
>
> Invalid read syntax: ), 1, 0

I don't understand: this error complains about 'init.el', does
not happen at start, but much later, when you try to open an
.org file?

> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable showing Disable logging

Have you tried starting Emacs with that option? What happens
then?

> So the prob is on my init.el file. What error it could be?

We can only guess. Given our lack of information, our guesses
will be almost certainly wrong :-)

So give us a chance:

 - try starting Emacs with --debug-on-init, an possibly report
   results here
 - try bisecting the file: remove parts of it (always taking
   care of the syntax), see in which "half" the error occurs
 - post your init.el here (BE CAREFUL: please, double-check
   that it doesn't contain sensitive information: passwords,
   personal information, things your employer could consider
   to be trade secrets, that kind of stuff).

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Error opening an .org file
       [not found]     ` <Y1qstDQckZLJR3eb@tuxteam.de>
@ 2022-10-27 16:19       ` Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2022-10-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Il giorno 27 ott 2022, alle ore 18:07, tomas@tuxteam.de ha scritto:
>
>> I’ve edited and commented all the lines of it. And The error persist. So (was you told)maybe the error is not of init.el
>> But I’m unable to run emacs from termnal.
>> How can I do?
>> I’m in Mac osx 12.6.1 where do I can find emacs?

* Re: Error opening an .org file
@ 2022-10-27 17:21         ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Renato Pontefice writes:

>         I’ve edited and commented all the lines of it. And The error
>         persist. So (was you told)maybe the error is not of init.el
>         But I’m unable to run emacs from termnal.
>         How can I do?
>         I’m in Mac osx 12.6.1 where do I can find emacs?

Renato, I'm not a Mac user, but I imagine it will be like any other
Unix: you have to launch a terminal from your desktop (i guess there
will be in macos an app called "terminal" or something like that), and
once inside the terminal, just type:

emacs --debug-init

and press enter. Emacs (GUI) will open and you should pay attention to
the error messages that Emacs will show you. That will give you a clue
as to where the error is in your Emacs startup.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Error opening an .org file
@ 2022-10-28  9:25           ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-10-28  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Renato Pontefice writes:
>
>>         I’ve edited and commented all the lines of it. And The error
>>         persist. So (was you told)maybe the error is not of init.el
>>         But I’m unable to run emacs from termnal.
>>         How can I do?
>>         I’m in Mac osx 12.6.1 where do I can find emacs?
>
> Renato, I'm not a Mac user, but I imagine it will be like any other
> Unix: you have to launch a terminal from your desktop (i guess there
> will be in macos an app called "terminal" or something like that), and
> once inside the terminal, just type:
>
> emacs --debug-init
>
> and press enter. Emacs (GUI) will open and you should pay attention to
> the error messages that Emacs will show you. That will give you a clue
> as to where the error is in your Emacs startup.

It has been a while since I used macOS. However, how you start emacs in
a terminal depends on how emacs was installed and which version of
emacs.

Note that the emacs which macOS includes is VERY old (I think it is
Emacs 21). This is really too old to be useful these days. You need to
install a current version of Emacs. My recommendation would be to use
homebrew to do this. However, I fear, based on the questions ask, the
OPs familiarity of the OS is likely to make installing homebrew and then
emacs a bit challenging to do via email. Certainly would be off topic
for the org mode list. Possibly better help would be available via the
emacs help list. I would try to help further, but I don't have a working
macOS system at present, so cannot refresh/verify the steps to get
sufficient clarity to be helpful.