* POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16  9:00 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (9 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-16  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
close to 20 email a day.

I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
things cool off a bit?

- Carsten

P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next
few days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16  9:29 ` Nuutti Kotivuori
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2007-10-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?

I think it is fine. The issues raised on the mailing list are very
much to the point and actually relevant to org-mode.

The only discussions I skip are the ones where there's a long
discussion of some at the moment ephemeral feature (like task
dependencies/triggers).

-- Naked

* Re: Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16  9:35   ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2007-10-16  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nuutti Kotivuori; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi> writes:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
>> close to 20 email a day.
>>
>> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
>> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
>> things cool off a bit?

I just subscribed to this list (thus posting a followup to Nuuttis
post).  20 mails a day sound pretty OK to me.  Using Gnus makes
handling of this easy :-)

Best Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16  9:39 ` Leo
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo @ 2007-10-16  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-10-16 10:00 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next
> few days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

This is actually great news. The community of org mode is almost as
active as emacs-devel ;)

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16 10:38 ` John Wiegley
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-10-16 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to address
> this, or will people stick around and just wait until things cool off a bit?

Emacs Gnus, using adaptive scoring, causes the org-mode list to be at most
5-10 postings a day for me.  That's well within my tolerance.

John

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 11:08 ` Rainer Stengele
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-10-16 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next
> few days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

I like the mailing list being so active. The whole org-stuff is plain fun at work and at home.
I've never been organized as easy as today - which doesn't mean I do not have some important needs left...

rainer

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 12:07 ` Ian Barton
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-10-16 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

No problem for me. It's nice to have such an active and friendly community.

Ian.

> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 12:49 ` Bastien
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-16 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until things
> cool off a bit?

For my part, it's okay, and I will slow down a bit :)

> P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next few
> days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

For the good cause as well, here are a few stats about the list.  Data
have been collected between March 2006 (gmane access?) and now:

Total number of posts: 3873
Average bytes/post: 5170.235218
Total number of posters: 238
Average posts/poster: 16.273109

1154 Carsten Dominik
 371 Bastien
 217 Leo
 112 Eddward DeVilla
  82 Jason F. McBrayer
  70 Bernt Hansen
  70 David O'Toole
  69 Rainer Stengele
  67 T. V. Raman
  63 Xavier Maillard
  59 Scott Jaderholm
  51 William Henney
  47 J. David Boyd
  40 Tim O'Callaghan
  39 Piotr Zielinski
  37 John Wiegley
  35 Russell Adams
  35 Scott Otterson
  33 Georg C. F. Greve
  33 Daniel J. Sinder

Total number of subjects: 1055
Average posts/subject: 3.671090

  55 depending TODOs,   scheduling following TODOs automatically
  34 log on state change
  33 Integration of Org mode and mairix
  30 Org-mode version 5.01
  26 an annoying indentation
  24 Integration of Org mode and Gnus
  23 Feature request: Selective encryption
  23 Another GTD question.
  21 Org-mode 4.78
  19 Categories
  19 Release: Org-mode 5.09
  19 Duration Tally
  18 Attention XEmacs users
  17 Tutorials
  16 org-mode and Google Calendar
  16 postponing todos
  16 Idea: Agenda Search publish?
  15 Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
  15 Org-mode with color-theme.el
  14 GTD: Solving the bottleneck of converting incoming   mails to NEXT actions

Links to the first five most active subjects:

  55 depending TODOs,   scheduling following TODOs automatically
     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/3641>
  34 log on state change
     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2887>
  33 Integration of Org mode and mairix
     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2513>
  30 Org-mode version 5.01
     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2209>
  26 an annoying indentation
     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2005>

--
Bastien

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 13:57 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next
> few days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

I'm not going anywhere :)
Gnus and gmane is wonderful!

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16 14:51   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-10-16 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
>> close to 20 email a day.
>>
>> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
>> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
>> things cool off a bit?
>
> I think it is fine. The issues raised on the mailing list are very
> much to the point and actually relevant to org-mode.

Agreed.  I do fall behind on reading it every now and then but I always
try and catch up because the quality of discussions is so high.  I like
having such a receptive community.

R.

* Re: Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16 15:03     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-10-16 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

On 10/16/07, Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk> wrote:
> Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> > Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> >> close to 20 email a day.
> >>
> >> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> >> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> >> things cool off a bit?
> >
> > I think it is fine. The issues raised on the mailing list are very
> > much to the point and actually relevant to org-mode.
>
> Agreed.  I do fall behind on reading it every now and then but I always
> try and catch up because the quality of discussions is so high.  I like
> having such a receptive community.

Agreed too. Sometimes my eyes glaze over the GTD threads, but I can
always mute the threads I'm not interested in. Perhaps an additional
low volume org-mode-announce list would be a good idea for those more
interested in product than process...

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
@ 2007-10-16 16:08       ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-10-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: org-mode

William Henney wrote:
>> Agreed.  I do fall behind on reading it every now and then but I always
>> try and catch up because the quality of discussions is so high.  I like
>> having such a receptive community.
>>

> Agreed too. Sometimes my eyes glaze over the GTD threads, but I can
> always mute the threads I'm not interested in. Perhaps an additional
> low volume org-mode-announce list would be a good idea for those more
> interested in product than process...

To be honest I think we're still too small to justify the overhead of
another list.  When we're touching on having 100s of posts a day, maybe.

R.

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 16:46 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-10-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

On 10/16/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S. I know that this will lead to even more messages in the next
> few days, but it is for a good cause.... :-)

I've been having a little trouble keeping up and have skimmed over
some of the thread I'm not as interested in.  I'm still glad that
there is enough interest to have this kind of traffic.  That outliner
I depended on before org-mode died from lack of interest.

Edd

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 17:00 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-10-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the mailing list has been extremely active recently, we have had
> close to 20 email a day.
>
> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?
>
> - Carsten

Absolutely not. FYI, I find the increased traffic a little reassuring
that there are others using the software.  I already feel lonely in
office using Emacs.... :-)

sivaram

* Re: POLL: Volume of emacs-orgmode too high?
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-16 21:12 ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2007-10-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am worried that this will scare away some members.  Do we need to
> address this, or will people stick around and just wait until
> things cool off a bit?

Doesn't worry me at all. I know I haven't posted anything for a long
while but I am still happy watching the development of this great mode
and love the energy that seems to be surrounding it at the moment. (It
has certainly come a long way from v3.? or whatever might have been
the first version I sent bug reports on...)

Phil