* Documents for old versions of org-mode
@ 2012-06-03 14:07 Victor Miller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Victor Miller @ 2012-06-03 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've recently discovered org-mode, and have started using it.
However, the version of org-mode on my work system is on
6.36. There is no chance of getting it updated (at least not in
the near future). I'd like to have a version of document that
corresponds to that version.  Where can I find it?

Victor

* Re: Documents for old versions of org-mode
@ 2012-06-03 15:12 ` suvayu ali
       [not found]   ` <CAEe1e0wJ7xJqwfkHe2c2zp1q6rj416=3DrOwhtUxgEf-JsbF0Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-06-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Victor,

Welcome to Org-mode.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Victor Miller <victorsmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently discovered org-mode, and have started using it.
> However, the version of org-mode on my work system is on
> 6.36. There is no chance of getting it updated (at least not in
> the near future).

Installing your own updated version of Org-mode is very easy. You can
install it in your home directory. In terms of disk space ~ 15 MB should
be enough.

For step by step instructions you can look in the following FAQ entries:
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current>

Note, if you choose to use the git checkout, the disk usage will grow
over time. I would recommend running git gc from time to time to recover
some disk space. This way you should be able to contain it to less than
100 MB.

> I'd like to have a version of document that
> corresponds to that version.  Where can I find it?

The easiest way to get the correct version of org-mode documentation is
Emacs itself. For a more descriptive documentation look at the info
manual pages (C-h i m org mode [RET]). For source level documentation
you can use the Emacs live help system (C-h v <variable_name> [RET] and
C-h f <function> [RET]). You can type org there and use tab completion
to explore all the nitty gritties.

> Victor

GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: Documents for old versions of org-mode
@ 2012-06-03 15:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-06-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Victor,

Victor Miller <victorsmiller@gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently discovered org-mode, and have started using it.
> However, the version of org-mode on my work system is on
> 6.36. There is no chance of getting it updated (at least not in
> the near future). I'd like to have a version of document that
> corresponds to that version.  Where can I find it?

You can get an old version of the documentation thru the repo:

~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
~$ git checkout release_6.36
~$ make pdf

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Documents for old versions of org-mode
@ 2012-06-03 15:55   ` Victor Miller
From: Victor Miller @ 2012-06-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien, Thanks!  That's just what I was looking for.

Victor

@ 2012-06-03 15:55     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-06-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Victor Miller <victorsmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suvayu, Thanks for the reply, but, as I said, it's impossible for me to
> update a new version of org-mode.  Our work systems are not connected to the
> internet, and there is no possibility of bringing in any updates.

My second suggestion about the docs still holds though. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Documents for old versions of org-mode
@ 2012-06-03 17:30 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-06-03 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Victor Miller <victorsmiller@gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently discovered org-mode, and have started using it.
> However, the version of org-mode on my work system is on
> 6.36. There is no chance of getting it updated (at least not in
> the near future). I'd like to have a version of document that
> corresponds to that version.  Where can I find it?

M-x org-info RET

@ 2012-06-06  2:20   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-06-06  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> For step by step instructions you can look in the following FAQ entries:
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current>

Without being fully sure, and while the above procedure long worked
without problem for me, I think that more recently, I got rid of some
Org problems by also moving the Org bundled within Emacs out of the
way.  I'm tempted to presume it is unusual that this is ever needed.

François