* Agenda dispatcher changes files
@ 2009-01-31 13:11 Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2009-01-31 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I don't know where to begin diagnosing this, so please forgive me for
not having more information.

As of 6.20c at least (perhaps further back), whenever I call up an
agenda (daily, global todo, and certain todo keyword searches), some
of the agenda files are marked as having been changed. They don't
appear _really_ to have been changed (according to diff), but the
double asterisks in the mode line show that Emacs believes the files
have changed.

This has been a little annoying when I wish to close Emacs. (I know, I
know: why would I ever want to close Emacs?!)

Some variable settings that may be relevant:

     org-agenda-include-diary t
     org-agenda-show-all-dates  nil
     org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t
     org-agenda-start-on-weekday nil
     org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t
     org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(
	("c" tags-todo "+@COMPUTER")
	("f" tags-todo "+@PHONE")
	("o" tags-todo "+@OFFICE")
	("p" todo "PROJECT")
	("j" tags "+Jana")
	("t" todo "TODO")
	("w" todo "WAITING"))
     org-agenda-sorting-strategy
        (quote
         ((agenda time-up tag-up priority-down)
          (todo category-keep priority-down)
          (tags category-keep priority-down)
          (search category-keep)))

So: A bug or a feature? Is there more information I can provide?

Thanks,

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Agenda dispatcher changes files
@ 2009-01-31 16:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-31 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dan,

something like this can happen when text properties change in the file.
Many such cases are dealt with correctly, but apparently you have found
a case where this is not done correctly.

If you want to help, the way to do it is to construct a minimal
example, a testfile with minimal Org customization that can reliably
reproduce this problem.  I am sure  that I can then easily find the
bug and resolve it.

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-31 18:09   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2009-01-31 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> If you want to help, the way to do it is to construct a minimal
> example, a testfile with minimal Org customization that can reliably
> reproduce this problem.  I am sure  that I can then easily find the
> bug and resolve it.
>
> - Carsten

Thank you, Carsten. Taking your suggestion, I may have narrowed down
the problem.

I started out using a minimal org file with these contents:

* Big item
** MAYBE Subitem
** TODO Another subitem
* Another one
** INPROCESS do something
   SCHEDULED: <2008-01-30 Wed +1w>
** TODO do something else
   SCHEDULED: <2009-01-31 Sat>

Executing C-c a a would NOT mark the file as changed.

However, once I added this:

#+TAGS: @COMPUTER(c) @PHONE(f)

and gave the tag "@COMPUTER:" to the "do something" line, then C-c a a
would mark the file as changed.

Please let me know if you need more testing, or values for other
variables.

Cheers,

Dan

* Re: Agenda dispatcher changes files
@ 2009-01-31 21:37     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-31 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dan,

I can not yet reproduce this, so I need your full customization - or
even better a minimal customization, where you have started Emacs with

emacs -q -l minimal.emacs

Thanks for your help!

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-01 11:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

After some off-list exchange, this bug is fixed.