* take the name of org-class event from heading
@ 2012-06-22 15:27 Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-06-22 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

How can I schedule a weekly class that lasts for a limited period of
time? (org-class)

Org-mode offers a convenient diary sexp function for setting up a
recurring appointment that lasts for a certain period of time, such as
a class. It is called org-class and it can be entered as follows:

** Class 7:00pm-9:00pm
   <%%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10)>

The function above schedules an appointment for every Monday (1)
between February 16 and April 20, 2009, except for ISO week 10 (March
1 to March 7).

If you would prefer not to place the timestamp in the headline, you
can use the following format:

** Class
%%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm Class

Why do you have to repeat the name of the event in the org-class, why
cannot it not take the name from the heading?

Best wishes,

Enda

* Re: take the name of org-class event from heading
@ 2012-06-22 15:44 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How can I schedule a weekly class that lasts for a limited period of
> time? (org-class)
>
> Org-mode offers a convenient diary sexp function for setting up a
> recurring appointment that lasts for a certain period of time, such as
> a class. It is called org-class and it can be entered as follows:
>
> ** Class 7:00pm-9:00pm
>    <%%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10)>
>
> The function above schedules an appointment for every Monday (1)
> between February 16 and April 20, 2009, except for ISO week 10 (March
> 1 to March 7).
>
> If you would prefer not to place the timestamp in the headline, you
> can use the following format:
>
> ** Class
> %%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm Class
>
> Why do you have to repeat the name of the event in the org-class, why
> cannot it not take the name from the heading?

What if you want them to be *different*?

Nick

PS I cannot tell where you are quoting others and where you are talking as
yourself. Can you please use some quoting style?

* Re: take the name of org-class event from heading
@ 2012-06-22 15:48   ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-06-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

>> How can I schedule a weekly class that lasts for a limited period of
>> time? (org-class)
>>
>> Org-mode offers a convenient diary sexp function for setting up a
>> recurring appointment that lasts for a certain period of time, such as
>> a class. It is called org-class and it can be entered as follows:
>>
>> ** Class 7:00pm-9:00pm
>>    <%%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10)>
>>
>> The function above schedules an appointment for every Monday (1)
>> between February 16 and April 20, 2009, except for ISO week 10 (March
>> 1 to March 7).
>>
>> If you would prefer not to place the timestamp in the headline, you
>> can use the following format:
>>
> >** Class
>> %%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm Class
>>
>> Why do you have to repeat the name of the event in the org-class, why
>> cannot it not take the name from the heading?
>>

>What if you want them to be *different*?

Couldn't I have

?

>Nick

>PS I cannot tell where you are quoting others and where you are talking as
>yourself. Can you please use some quoting style?

I italicized the quoted text.

* Re: take the name of org-class event from heading
@ 2012-06-22 16:03     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >What if you want them to be *different*?
>
> Couldn't I have
>
> ** Class
> %%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm
>
> ?

Of course you could.

> >Nick
>
> >PS I cannot tell where you are quoting others and where you are talking as
> >yourself. Can you please use some quoting style?
>
> I italicized the quoted text.

OK - but that assumes machinery that not all of us are using.

* Re: take the name of org-class event from heading
@ 2012-06-22 16:06       ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-06-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

>> >What if you want them to be *different*?

>> Couldn't I have
>>
>> ** Class
>> %%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm
>>
>> ?
>>

>Of course you could.

But then the name of the event, in this case 'Class', would not appear in the agenda.

@ 2012-06-22 16:18         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-22 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Couldn't I have
> >>
> >> ** Class
> >> %%(org-class 2009 2 16 2009 4 20 1 10) 7:00pm-9:00pm
> >>
> >> ?
> >>

> >Of course you could.
>
> But then the name of the event, in this case 'Class', would not appear in the agenda.

If you want it in the agenda, then add it. My point was what if I want a
different name to appear in the agenda than the name of the headline? If
we hardwire the headline as the event name, then we will *always* get
that.

Nothing stops you of course from modifying org-class so that it does
what you want. I just raised a possible problem.

Nick

PS. In general, short questions like this are better answered on IRC:
misunderstandings can be resolved more quickly. Email is not a good
medium for chatting like this: it is better used when you are willing to
commit the time to prepare a more complete question: "I tried *this*, I
got *that*, I would like to get *something else* - is that possible and
if so how?" with a fair amount of explanation of what *this*, *that* and
the *something else* are.

* OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-22 22:21       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Enda

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> > >PS I cannot tell where you are quoting others and where you are talking as
> > >yourself. Can you please use some quoting style?
> >
> > I italicized the quoted text.
> >

> OK - but that assumes machinery that not all of us are using.

I thought that I couldn't see the italics because I was using a font
(-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1) that does not
come in an oblique variety. But even after switching to "Liberation
Mono:style=Regular" which most definitely *does* have an oblique variety
(and I can see it in action in an org document when I say /italic/ -
after setting the italic face appropriately), I still do not get the
italic effect when I view Enda's mail (and I am viewing the html form of
it, not the text form: e.g. the leading question is colored blue).

That may be because of the dotage of my mail reader of course (mh-e), so
I was wondering if there are any *emacs* mail readers[fn:1] that show
the effect? I doubt at this point that I'll ever switch to e.g. gnus to
read mail (mh-e and I have grown old together), but I am curious whether
something like it handles things properly.[fn:2]

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] I presume that something like thunderbird will do it, but I'm not
       interested in going outside emacs.

[fn:2] FWIW, I set up gnus with an nnmh spool and I still can't see the
       italics, but that may be a matter of missing configuration. BTW,
       in mh-e, various headers are in italics (To:, Sender: and the <addr>
       part of the From: header) - that's probably default mh-e config,
       since I don't do any customization there.

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-22 22:45         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-22 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> That may be because of the dotage of my mail reader of course (mh-e),
> so I was wondering if there are any *emacs* mail readers[fn:1] that
> show the effect? I doubt at this point that I'll ever switch to
> e.g. gnus to read mail (mh-e and I have grown old together), but I am
> curious whether something like it handles things properly.[fn:2]

The Italic is not showing up in Gnus either. This is because the OP is
not using "mail markup", i.e. /This is Italic/. IMHO, I don't see the
point of not using ">" as the cite mark- anything else will confuse 99%
of mailers. This is why I gave up on Supercite.

Charles

--
Why use Windows, since there is a door?
(By fachat@galileo.rhein-neckar.de, Andre Fachat)

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-22 23:39           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-22 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > That may be because of the dotage of my mail reader of course (mh-e),
> > so I was wondering if there are any *emacs* mail readers[fn:1] that
> > show the effect? I doubt at this point that I'll ever switch to
> > e.g. gnus to read mail (mh-e and I have grown old together), but I am
> > curious whether something like it handles things properly.[fn:2]
>
> The Italic is not showing up in Gnus either. This is because the OP is
> not using "mail markup", i.e. /This is Italic/. IMHO, I don't see the
> point of not using ">" as the cite mark- anything else will confuse 99%
> of mailers. This is why I gave up on Supercite.

Thanks for checking and I agree fully with using a quoting mechanism
that will survive the arbitrary travails that a typical mail message
goes through, although "> " is generally used for quoting points one
responds to - see above e.g. I like boxquotes for things like Info
snippets, variable/function docstrings and FAQ entries. That's
inconvenient for code that somebody might want to cut-and-paste in order
to run however (one would need to edit it to get it back into runnable
form), so I use the Message function message-mark-inserted-region to
quote code.

To go back to the italics question though, the italics is part of the font
style spec in the html form of the mail (hence my suspicion that
Thunderbird would not have a problem with that message), so I guess the
question is if there is an emacs mail reader that will interpret
arbitrary HTML markup, the way that T-bird would.

I also did the following experiment: I saved the HTML form of the mail
(decoding it from quoted-printable to HTML with qprint) and looked at it
in Firefox (got italics: no surprise), and in w3m in emacs (with the
oblique capable Liberaion font I mentioned previously, which *can* show
italics): I get no italics in the latter, so I guess even w3m cannot
interpret arbitrary HTML, maybe because the underlying browser is
supposed to be text-only, so font style information does not get
through.

Nick

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23  0:10             ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-23  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

Hi Nick:

> I like boxquotes for things like Info snippets, variable/function
> docstrings and FAQ entries.

Yes, I am addicted to boxquotes for things like that too.

> That's inconvenient for code that somebody might want to cut-and-paste
> in order to run however (one would need to edit it to get it back into
> runnable form), so I use the Message function
> message-mark-inserted-region to quote code.

True.

> I also did the following experiment: I saved the HTML form of the mail
> (decoding it from quoted-printable to HTML with qprint) and looked at
> it in Firefox (got italics: no surprise), and in w3m in emacs (with
> the oblique capable Liberaion font I mentioned previously, which *can*
> show italics): I get no italics in the latter, so I guess even w3m
> cannot interpret arbitrary HTML, maybe because the underlying browser
> is supposed to be text-only, so font style information does not get
> through.

Yes, the Italics doesn't show up in W3M. I can see it in Firefox if I
use "View HTML parts in browser" in Gnus.

Charles

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity - so UP yours!
(Adapted from Pat Paulsen by Joe Sloan)

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23  7:41               ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Charles and Nick,

Charles Philip Chan wrote:
>> I like boxquotes for things like Info snippets, variable/function
>> docstrings and FAQ entries.
>
> Yes, I am addicted to boxquotes for things like that too.

So do I.

>> That's inconvenient for code that somebody might want to cut-and-paste
>> in order to run however (one would need to edit it to get it back into
>> runnable form), so I use the Message function
>> message-mark-inserted-region to quote code.
>
> True.

Not really: there are commands `boxquote-unbox' and `boxquote-unbox-region'
for that.

... but one needs to keep the standard settings for creating the box, which is
not my case:

    ┏━━━━
    ┃ This is my boxed text (UTF-8 chars for border, and 4 char indentation).
    ┗━━━━

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23  8:00                 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-23  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

Hi Seb:

> Not really: there are commands `boxquote-unbox' and
> `boxquote-unbox-region' for that.

Yes, I am aware of these commands. However, not everyone uses Emacs. ;-)

Regards,
Charles

--
"If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system."

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23  8:35                   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Charles,

Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Not really: there are commands `boxquote-unbox' and
>> `boxquote-unbox-region' for that.
>
> Yes, I am aware of these commands. However, not everyone uses Emacs. ;-)

This escaped my mind, really[1]. One point to you ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] So sad that everyone did not see the light ;-))

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23 15:21                   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-23 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> wrote:

> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
> Hi Seb:
>
> > Not really: there are commands `boxquote-unbox' and
> > `boxquote-unbox-region' for that.
>
> Yes, I am aware of these commands. However, not everyone uses Emacs. ;-)

Even in emacs however, that's an extra step (iirc, unbox is also finicky
about where the cursor should be in order for it to work: I get it wrong
a substantial percentage of the time and have to try again, which adds
to the aggravation. It's also not bound to a key by default, which adds a
little bit of aggravation too.)

Besides, when I used boxquotes for everything, it was (iirc) Seb who
took me to task when he wanted to run a code snippet, so even though he
speaks a different language now, don't believe him: he was right the
first time :-)

But seriously, the guiding principle should be:

"What can I do to make the life of whoever decides to read this and help
me with it, as easy as possible?"

or from the other end

"What can I do to make my reply as useful as possible?"

THe content remains paramount of course, but these little things help.

Nick

PS. BTW, do as I say, not as I do: I don't always follow my advice :-)

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-23 23:16                     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-06-23 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

> == Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

Hi Nick:

> Even in emacs however, that's an extra step (iirc, unbox is also
> finicky about where the cursor should be in order for it to work: I
> get it wrong a substantial percentage of the time and have to try
> again, which adds to the aggravation. It's also not bound to a key by
> default, which adds a little bit of aggravation too.)

With completion, it is not too bad. :-)

> But seriously, the guiding principle should be:
>
> "What can I do to make the life of whoever decides to read this and
> help me with it, as easy as possible?"
>
> or from the other end
>
> "What can I do to make my reply as useful as possible?"
>
> THe content remains paramount of course, but these little things help.

Agreed. Also, everyone should learn how to ask smart questions.[1]

Regards,
Charles

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God)."

* Re: OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
@ 2012-06-24 12:34                     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-24 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Charles Philip Chan <cpchan-CzeTG9NwML0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>>
>>> Not really: there are commands `boxquote-unbox' and
>>> `boxquote-unbox-region' for that.
>>
>> Yes, I am aware of these commands. However, not everyone uses Emacs. ;-)
>
> Besides, when I used boxquotes for everything, it was (iirc) Seb who
> took me to task when he wanted to run a code snippet, so even though he
> speaks a different language now, don't believe him: he was right the
> first time :-)

Well, I remember vaguely something like that. You must be right about that
episode.

And you're right telling back what I said then: *code is better not boxed with
boxquote*, but put in Org blocks (at least in this mailing list). Gnus users
have some highlighting, and everybody sees where the snippet begins and ends,
and in which language it is. And that's the easiest method for everybody to
copy/paste code.

Thanks for the reminder!

Best regards,
  Seb